The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 5, 2018, 10:06 PM   #26
ms6852

I am concerned that my surrounding neighbors are not well armed or stocked as I am. They know I love to shoot a lot and am afraid that they will ask if I could spare a few bullets during the zombie attack.
Old September 5, 2018, 10:23 PM   #27
rickyrick

Not my business.
I lost track of how much I have.
Old September 6, 2018, 01:46 AM   #28
Rangerrich99

For myself, it really depends on the neighbor. If I was considering this one guy a couple houses down, the answer would be "any number greater than one." Not that he's dangerous, he's just not very bright. He actually described to me his method for cleaning his guns while they're loaded. About as sharp as a bag of wet hair . . .
Old September 6, 2018, 02:10 AM   #29
TXAZ

After reading the replies, I thought about our only nextdoor neighbor.
Right now I think the answer is 1 round, they don’t seem to be gun friendly.
Maybe we can slide them into some ballistic therapy and change that.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 6, 2018, 05:01 AM   #30
kozak6

I've met people I wouldn't trust with a sharp stick, let alone a single round of ammo.

Otherwise, it's not an issue. It turns out that outside of a gun, modern ammo isn't particularly dangerous, even if it's on fire and cooking off.

SAAMI made a very interesting video about it if you have 25 minutes.

https://youtu.be/3SlOXowwC4c
Old September 6, 2018, 05:04 AM   #31
Nathan

Anything less than 1000 rounds makes me nervous. might be a controller...

If it spills out the doors and windows, I don’t like that either.....no reason to be boisterous!
Old September 6, 2018, 05:29 AM   #32
Maynard Shooter

No body is saying anything about antique ammo that contains true Black Powder. I know of a number of people that shoot silhouette and use black powder reloads and are very responsible to stay with in the local laws on amount and storage.
Old September 6, 2018, 06:47 AM   #33
Mike Irwin
Staff

1 round.

Seriously, unless the person is storing large quantities of ammo loaded with black powder, it's not a concern.

Some of my neighbors would probably have a stroke if they knew how much loaded ammo, powder, and primers I have in my basement.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 6, 2018, 07:11 AM   #34
Ed4032

Maybe you should be asking my neighbors about how they feel about me....
Old September 6, 2018, 07:48 AM   #35
Eazyeach

If my neighbors didn’t have any ammo, that would make me nervous!
Old September 6, 2018, 09:12 AM   #36
Maynard Shooter

I have three pounds of FF for reloading my Maynard in the garage under lock and key. And about ten 50cal rounds loaded.
Old September 6, 2018, 09:35 AM   #37
TXAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard Shooter View Post
I have three pounds of FF for reloading my Maynard in the garage under lock and key. And about ten 50cal rounds loaded.
You only have TEN .50 cal rounds?
PM me if you need more . I got ya covered.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 6, 2018, 09:50 AM   #38
M88

Quote:
None of it makes me nervous. What makes me nervous is someone sticking their nose into my stuff, getting nervous about what the THINK might happen, and then demanding that the government DO SOMETHING so they don't feel nervous anymore.
My sentiments EXACTLY 44... had a house guest a while back that got nervous when he found out how much ammo I had stored in the basement (all in ammo cans). Concerned about "explosions" if there was a fire... nonsense like that. I showed him a video on the subject that seems to alleviate his fears a bit, but as has been said many times in this forum, most people don't really want the truth, or facts. Their minds are set.

That said... it's absolutely nobodies business how many guns or how much ammo I have. Other than folks on this forum, who don't know me or exactly where I live (Pennsylvania is a huge state), only my closest friends even know I have a gun collection with ammo to match.
Old September 6, 2018, 09:51 AM   #39
dahermit

I am likely to be more nervous if my neighbors did not have any ammo in their house in that it may indicate that they are anti-gun people.
Old September 6, 2018, 09:53 AM   #40
FindANewSlant

Once it's spilling outta the chimney and windows, then I might be concerned for their safety as a matter of a cluttered home. Other than that, I have no problem.
Old September 6, 2018, 10:00 AM   #41
briandg

Talking in context of hundreds of thousands up to a million, I'd be curious.

I guess that nobody else finds it kind of weird that an ordinary guy would own enough ammunition to shoot a thousand rounds a day, every day, for three years? I guess that i only keep an amount on hand for a half dozen or so range trips?

It's obviously possible that the guy is a national level competition shooter. I'm assuming that he hasn't got a really urgent need for it all.

To me, this is similar to a guy who keeps cases of mayonnaise. He's probably a weirdo.

That million rounds cost money. If the guy is living in a shanty and sends his kids to school in worn clothes there is a problem. No, I won't loan him a twenty until payday, I won't ever let him drive my car.

If we were talking about a truly dedicated collector and shooter of many guns, and he kept thousands of rounds on hand for every one of them, that's not abnormal, and if you keep it in context there's nothing strange about it. If, however, a guy has pallet stacks of one thousand cases of 7.62x39 piled in his living room, I'm going to just assume that either he has a good reason for it or he has a screw rolling around inside his head.

It's going to stay in my head. I'm going to assess it logically to understand why he has it. If there's no particularly good reason for having a thousand cases of ammo in his home, I'm going to assume that something unusual is happening.

Maybe he's just a secondary market for his club or friends? He's the one who accepts delivery of the truckloads, then hands them out to the buyers?

In any case, having a pile of ammo the size of a pickup in the garage should be a very tightly kept secret. If that pinhead allowed you to find out that he is holding ammo in the tens of thousands, his judgment is impaired. You don't let things like that go out to the general public.

Last edited by briandg; September 6, 2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old September 6, 2018, 10:08 AM   #42
ocharry

my closest neighbor is prolly 600yrds,,and i would expect him to have some ammo stored

except for the few laying around that i can get to,,,you know,,, a pistol here and there,,,shot gun by the back door,,,ar standing in the corner,,,,i dont advertise what is behind closed doors,,,,but if i have to go behind the door,,,it could be on for a while,,,,,lol

but i always have and still do believe in the old saying,,,"BUY IT CHEAP AND STACK IT DEEP"

ocharry
Old September 6, 2018, 10:16 AM   #43
Bartholomew Roberts

Less than a thousand would make me nervous. I don’t want that guy coming around begging ammo from me later just because we’re neighbors.
Old September 6, 2018, 10:43 AM   #44
heyjoe

the amount of ammo i have would not make anyone nervous because i wouldnt tell anyone in the first place.
Old September 7, 2018, 05:42 PM   #45
Scorch

Quote:
How much ammo next door makes you nervous?
I don't know, let me ask my neighbor.

Seriously, how many rounds of ammunition present a threat in any manner? Same as firearms. Both need people to be added in order for them to be dangerous. So let me ask you, how many people next door make you feel uneasy?

Last edited by Scorch; September 7, 2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old September 8, 2018, 11:07 AM   #46
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
So let me ask you, how many people next door make you feel uneasy?
Depending on the people, that could be any whole number, 1, or greater.
Old September 8, 2018, 11:11 AM   #47
kenny53

Never thought about it. They don't know how much if any I have and I don't know what they have. I believe that the way it should be.
Old September 8, 2018, 11:26 AM   #48
briandg

Quote:
Seriously, how many rounds of ammunition present a threat in any manner?
It's not so much a matter of how many rounds. it's a matter of how many rounds, and the person. It probably never presents a threat, that threat can exist at one full magazine. But, At a certain point, won't the person become a hoarder?

I consider anyone who owns mega loads of anything, to be a bit of a nutter. a million rounds doesn't present to me as a danger, but it presents to me as clear evidence that there's a missing bolt or two. I think that anyone who has ten thousand salt shakers or five gallons of milk in his fridge to be out of contact with reality. I'm not afraid of him, but I sure as heck can't ignore him.

I have about a year's worth of loaded ammo. Thats doesn't make me a hoarder. Otoh, I have maybe two years worth of cigars in proper storage. That doesn't make me a hoarder, either, because every box is different, and every day I smoke something different.
Old September 8, 2018, 12:20 PM   #49
K_Mac

Briandg I don't know how many rounds you have, or what you consider a years supply. I do know that I know many of my less enlightened friends would consider your stock dangerous and excessive. I admit that a million rounds might give me pause if not stored properly, but am libertarian enough to accept others idiosyncrasies are probably none of my business.
Old September 8, 2018, 12:59 PM   #50
rickyrick

I don’t know how much ammunition I have, it’s a lot. Don’t make me a nutter. In the 2008 panic, I went a full two years without shooting because I thought ammunition hoarding was silly.

If a person becomes dangerous, one can of ammunition might be a huge problem... so could a magazine full. I’m no any more worried if a person has multiple cans of ammunition or even pallets of ammunition.