The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 29, 2018, 11:16 AM   #26
Blacktimberwolf

How sick is that country! What will the pool attendat say if you carry a knife and a pepper spray in a public pool? In my town he call the police. A armed man in a public swiming pool where kids are? How strange!
Old June 29, 2018, 12:10 PM   #27
Sharkbite

Quote:
What will the pool attendat say if you carry a knife and a pepper spray in a public pool?
The OP was not asking about a public swimming pool with an attendant. He was talking about lakes and small swimming holes out in the country.

I live in Colorado and while out Jeeping in the mountains there are a number of swimming spots that you could jump into. People also fish in the holes and upstream. Fishing line is not uncommon.

As for personal protection, we are often HOURS away from any police presence and must be totally self reliant.

I'm guessing the quote above is from some EU, the world is a nice place kinda pipe dream.
Old June 29, 2018, 12:12 PM   #28
Glenn E. Meyer

Editorial comments about why one does not like the USA are not relevant to this thread. We don't have to continue that line of commentary.
Old June 29, 2018, 03:11 PM   #29
K_Mac

I swim with my grandkids at an isolated private rural lake several times each summer. While I'm not worried much about the place being overrun by trouble, I will have a handgun secured in my truck and a folding knife on me. Getting tangled in fishing line is always a possibility when swimming in lakes or rivers that are also fished. Having a knife handy is not unreasonable. Neither is having a gun handy in any situation where I am charged with protecting my grandkids.

blacktimberwolf has clearly stated his disdain for the American right to keep and bear arms more than once. His lack of understanding does not bother me. The comments of hand wringing and paranoia from people who should know better does bother me though. It is the same verse sung by those who feel carrying or even owning weapons is a sign of paranoia in a civilized society. Yes, I carry a gun and/or knife most of the time. I have both the right and obligation to protect myself and those in my charge whether it is at the mall, lake, or my backyard. I don't give a rip if that confuses or offends anyone.

Last edited by K_Mac; June 29, 2018 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old June 29, 2018, 07:36 PM   #30
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Mac View Post
I swim with my grandkids at an isolated private rural lake several times each summer. While I'm not worried much about the place be overrun by trouble, I will have a handgun secured in my truck and a folding knife on me. Getting tangled in fishing line is always a possibility when swimming in lakes or rivers that are also fished. Having a knife handy is not unreasonable. Neither is having a gun handy in any situation where I am charged with protecting my grandkids.

blacktimberwolf has clearly stated his disdain for the American right to keep and bear arms more than once. His lack of understanding does not bother me. The comments of hand wringing and paranoia from people who should know better does bother me though. It is the same verse sung by those who feel carrying or even owning weapons is a sign of paranoia in a civilized society. Yes, I carry a gun and/or knife most of the time. I have both the right and obligation to protect myself and those in my charge whether it is at the mall, lake, or my backyard. I don't give a rip if that confuses or offends anyone.
I agree.
Old June 30, 2018, 02:56 PM   #31
seeker_two

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post
I agree.
Me too.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old July 7, 2018, 06:54 AM   #32
Auto5

When scuba diving, I carry two knives: a Gerber River Shorty on my BC and a Spyderco Salt on a lanyard in the BC pocket (for when you drop the Gerber while trying to cut yourself out of entanglement under the pier).

At the beach, I will carry a firearm where allowed if I'm fishing, or walking, or if someone is with me to watch my beach bag with the gun in it while I'm in the water. Otherwise, I might have a pocket knife in the cargo pocket of my swim trunks.

At my brother's house, I always carry a pocket knife with a bottle opener in the pool.

I don't like public pools.
Old July 9, 2018, 06:27 AM   #33
rodfac

Quote:
I carry a folding knife in my swim trunks. Fishing line entangled in 12 feet of water does not sound enjoyable. SD is secondary to having a useful tool.
And this...
Quote:
white water rafting, I carried a Gerber rafting knife accessible on my life jacket. Getting tangled was real risk.
In our family's outdoor experience, while canoeing primarily, a knife you can use with one hand is mandatory...Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old July 11, 2018, 03:56 PM   #34
spacemanspiff

I feel like we discussed this last summer....
Old July 11, 2018, 10:31 PM   #35
HWS

I grew up on a beach. I have never, once, ever, heard of anyone carrying any sort of weapon in their swimming trucks.
Old July 13, 2018, 06:49 PM   #36
smee78

I carry a folding knife in my waist band.
Old July 14, 2018, 07:15 PM   #37
Unclenick
Staff

Isn't aquatic defense what the shark sticks are for? A spear gun would be an option that would not be exactly out of place, but would draw odd looks from some quarters.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 14, 2018, 08:52 PM   #38
seeker_two

Well.....I didn't try my pepper gel in the Gulf waters, but my Spiderco Delica did just fine. It even came in handy cleaning out a seashell for my daughter.

.....thanks to all who gave useful information!
Old July 14, 2018, 09:08 PM   #39
Sharkbite

Quote:
Isn't aquatic defense what the shark sticks are for
Uhhh....no

A good knife has SO many more uses then SD. But, having it and not needing it is good piece of mind.

Ive carried a blade clipped onto the waist band of my shorts during all kinds of water activities. All up and down central America. Very reassuring to know i had something to work with.