The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 30, 2011, 08:29 PM   #1
alabama

Need ccw advice fast.

I live in alabama i have a youthfull offender status from a few years ago. I have a alabama pistol permit. In alabama if ur granted youthfull offender you dont lose ur gun rights. Im going to texas in the morning what is there laws on youthful offenders and is my alabama permit good there?
Old March 30, 2011, 08:35 PM   #2
ep2621

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...eciprocity.htm

You should be ok in Texas since Alabama gave you a permit. (I'm assuming yours is a conceal carry permit equal to our CHL)

Someone more knowledgeable than I should be along shortly.
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years. ~Mark Twain
Old March 30, 2011, 08:37 PM   #3
LordTio3

If you have a legal permit in your state, and your state has reciprocity with Texas, then you should be fine. The offenses you described shouldn't be an issue unless you are applying for a Texas non-resident permit.

So the question, which you should be able to answer with Google, is: Does Texas have Concealed Carry Reciprocity with Alabama.

~LT
Old March 30, 2011, 10:18 PM   #4
Eagle Eye

Check out http://www.handgunlaw.us/
Click on the states of interest and read about the various laws and reciprocity.
Old March 31, 2011, 07:06 AM   #5
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
You should be ok in Texas since Alabama gave you a permit. (I'm assuming yours is a conceal carry permit equal to our CHL)
+1. So long as you were issued a permit in your home state you won't have a problem assuming Texas honors your Alabama permit.
Old March 31, 2011, 07:40 AM   #6
blume357

I'm not a lawyer .... and.....

well, youthful offender convictions are usually supposed to be gone once you become an adult... you don't have to consider them.

Oh, and this would be better addressed either in Legal or General...

good deal mods... you moved it.

Last edited by blume357; March 31, 2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old March 31, 2011, 07:53 AM   #7
alabama

Thanks guys i should be legal.
Old April 8, 2011, 11:28 AM   #8
Gbro

There could be a catch to this.

From MN law;
Quote:
Subd. 3.Notice.

(a) When a person is convicted of, or adjudicated delinquent or convicted as an extended jurisdiction juvenile for committing, a crime of violence as defined in section 624.712, subdivision 5, the court shall inform the defendant that the defendant is prohibited from possessing a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon for the remainder of the person's lifetime, and that it is a felony offense to violate this prohibition. The failure of the court to provide this information to a defendant does not affect the applicability of the pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon possession prohibition or the felony penalty to that defendant.
I would guess that their could be other states having similar laws.
And I would bet something like that would pop up in background checks also.