The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 13, 2005, 07:39 PM   #1
parrothead2581

Silencio Nighthawk earmuffs

Tonight, while browsing in a sports store< i came across pair of Silencio Nighthawk electronic earmuffs. They were on clearance for $39.97, down from $100 or so. They come with an NRR of 21. Does anyone have any experience with these? If not this model/manufacturer then another type of electronic protection? I will use these mostly for outdoor shooting while I'm with my grandfather. Can you double plug (using both plugs and the muffs) with the electronics and still hear speech reasonably well? Thanks!
Old October 13, 2005, 11:39 PM   #2
Dave Haven

Quote:
Can you double plug (using both plugs and the muffs) with the electronics and still hear speech reasonably well?
Absolutely. I have a pair of Peltor Tactical 7 muffs which I routinely use with 33dB foam plugs. I can hear conversation and background sounds, and enjoy double protection when shooting anything from a .22LR to my .50 BMG target rifle.
Electronic muffs are the chit!
Old October 18, 2005, 03:29 PM   #3
hso

Same as Dave. I find that I can turn the volume control up enough to hear voices through the plugs I wear under the muffs and then when the muffs shut off the mic the combined NRR of 37 is a blessing.