The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 24, 2019, 05:30 PM   #1
Django11

Heater for deer blind/box stand

Anybody have any good idea for heaters for use in a blind while hunting? I think battery powered would be pretty nice and I would prefer to avoid dealing with propane if I could. I generally deal with the weather conditions just fine but I have a young niece that can’t get enough of deer hunting and I would like to keep it more comfortable for her when the the temperature starts to drop later this season. Any ideas are welcome.

Last edited by Django11; November 24, 2019 at 05:43 PM.
Old November 24, 2019, 05:39 PM   #2
JERRYS.

I've used the small propane bottle heaters before. worked well.
Old November 24, 2019, 06:40 PM   #3
reynolds357

I have a propane heater in my box stand. copper tube ran up to it and 20 lb bottle sitting on ground.
Old November 24, 2019, 06:42 PM   #4
Capt Rick Hiott

" battery powered"? For a blind? I don't think Ive ever seen one.

This is what I use. Works great and super quiet. It does put off a red glow. They also make bigger ones.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...2-406328790bdc
Old November 24, 2019, 07:41 PM   #5
Django11

After looking around the internet, it appears there may not be a strictly battery operated heater. I guess I assumed with today’s technology there would be. Looks like i might have to settle for propane; no big deal. I would like to find one that is reliable, quiet, and easy to operate. I would also like to stay as compact as possible. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old November 24, 2019, 07:46 PM   #6
NoSecondBest

I've been using the same heater Capt Rick is using for years now. Works like a charm. You can easily heat a blind at very cold outside temps and stay warm inside. Even with the windows opened enough to see and shoot out of. A one pound bottle will last 5.5 actual hours and it's easy to carry two bottles and the heater in a small tool bag with a shoulder strap on it. It's about the best seventy bucks I've ever spent. I probably use it at least ten days a year and it makes my hunting much more enjoyable.
Old November 24, 2019, 07:46 PM   #7
Django11

Captain Rick, that might be exactly what I need. Thanks
Old November 25, 2019, 08:01 AM   #8
reynolds357

The only battery powered heaters I know of are propane heaters with battery driven fan.
Old November 25, 2019, 10:39 AM   #9
Ricklin

Battery technology

Battery technology has come a long way in the last couple decades.

Making heat using electricity provided by batteries is not in the cards. The folks that own Tesla cars will note that using the cabin heat in the winter will shorten the range they can drive.

Propane is your best answer for easily portable heat.
Old November 25, 2019, 10:43 AM   #10
HiBC

Captain Obvious here: Safety. Some of the modern catalytic propane heaters are rated to be safe (carbon monoxide) for inside enclosures. Among them are the Mr Heater products. Do read the product info.These heaters come from fairly powerful,with fan,to small 3500 btu versions that screw onto a propane cylinder ,take no batteries,and might be just enough.

Some of the older ,lower tech "blind heaters" would insidiously fill a goose pit or blind with carbon monoxide. Folks died that way.

An option that might fit for a few blind sessions are the "hot packs" available at the pharmacy for use as a local "heating pad" for lower back pain,etc.
Wrapping one of those around the kidney area can work well.Do read the instructions and warnings.
Apparently they CAN get TOO hot. (Per the warnings) .

I actually had a Dr prescribe them too me for a back injury. I saw potential for ice fishing.
They aren't cheap,but neither is an $80 propane heater. One hot pad is about the price of a 1 lb propane bottle. Its an option. Its not hard to buy and try first.

Of course,the"Hot Hands" packets inside gloves can work well.,too.

Last edited by HiBC; November 25, 2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old November 25, 2019, 02:05 PM   #11
T. O'Heir

Propane is your best answer but also not. Propane dislikes igniting in cold. It doesn't vapourize reliably at extremely low temperatures. The CF(Canadian Army) converted a bunch of trucks years ago and actually said to light a fire under the fuel tank to get the LPG to ignite in the cold.
It'd be far better to take the kid shopping for good winter clothing. Where you're hunting matters. Lotta places Stateside don't get cold.
I can attest to the winter kit the CF issues(that may be in your local surplus joint.). Available on-line anyway. Mukluks, winter combat parka and winter combat pants(not made any more though) kept me warm at -40(doesn't matter if it's "C" or "F". The scales meet at -40 and I can't swear enough to emphasize how cold it is.) on an exercise long ago. It was a logistics nightmare. The Army gave us fresh rations. Tomatoes turn to rocks at -40. And three feet of snow.
You'll be out of the wind in a blind and it's unlikely to be anywhere near -40, so a heater may not be necessary. Kind of depends on what you think is cold, but any propane heater will do. It's highly unlikely any battery will last long enough to be of any use.
Old November 25, 2019, 03:35 PM   #12
NoSecondBest

I've used the small Mr. Heater described earlier at -14 degrees in a small blind with snow on the ground. The blind has a foot print of 60x60" and it stayed warm enough inside to unzip my coat and actually remain fairly comfortable. At that temp there was no problem lighting the heater. I never had the opportunity to hunt at really, really cold temps, and don't mind that at all.
Old November 25, 2019, 05:06 PM   #13
Scorch

Years ago, I used to use a Coleman catalytic heater. Loved it. I didn't realize they are no longer produced, but there are numerous catalytic heaters using propane instead of the old white gas fuel. I would reccomend a catalytic heater over a heater with a burner due to the hazards of CO exposure, being burnt or equipment being damaged.
Old November 25, 2019, 06:22 PM   #14
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Years ago, I used to use a Coleman catalytic heater. Loved it. I didn't realize they are no longer produced, but there are numerous catalytic heaters using propane instead of the old white gas fuel. I would reccomend a catalytic heater over a heater with a burner due to the hazards of CO exposure, being burnt or equipment being damaged.
I had an old Coleman fuel one, It worked great. I got the propane version of it and it was never reliable.
Old November 25, 2019, 06:59 PM   #15
FITASC

I was thinking a dozen Taco Bell tacos, maybe cold, would do the job........
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 25, 2019, 08:33 PM   #16
Blindstitch

Mr heater buddy heater. Depending on the amount of heat you want they have small to large. I have the Portable Buddy it costs about $69-79. 1 pound propane tanks on high I think last 4 hours. It has two settings 4,000 btu and 8,000 btu. I use mine for ice fishing and it does a good job.
Old November 25, 2019, 10:41 PM   #17
Sure Shot Mc Gee

You could look around for a Zippo hand warmer. Or better yet a old Ronson hand warmer like I still carry occasionally. There are also packages of chemical mix stuff that's sold in the best of sporting goods stores. No doubt that pkg {gravel} stuff will keep hands and feet warm for a short period.

I have a couple of above ground fully enclosed 6X6 deer stands that are heated with Big Buddy heaters. I know for a fact my choice of L.P. heaters will immediately shut off if accidentally tipped over. Both heaters do however require a ever so slightly opened window to vent their minute amount of carbon monoxide. Although
the best known body heater is the layering of warm clothing.
Old November 26, 2019, 11:57 AM   #18
Ben Dover

If you have any welding skills, a small, light wood stove can be easily made that will warm a blind all day with a handful of small twigs. (and you will never run out of fuel)

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old November 26, 2019, 04:31 PM   #19
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
If you have any welding skills, a small, light wood stove can be easily made that will warm a blind all day with a handful of small twigs. (and you will never run out of fuel)
How many BTU in a handfull of twigs?
Old November 26, 2019, 05:57 PM   #20
Ben Dover

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
How many BTU in a handfull of twigs?
Dunno. Don';t care. As long as I am warm!

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old November 26, 2019, 06:57 PM   #21
reynolds357

A handfull of twigs keep a box warm all day? I need some of that wood.
Old November 27, 2019, 06:06 AM   #22
Geezerbiker

Something like this can be used with a 1 pound bottle rather than the expensive little ones like shown in the listing.

The heaters like this one used to be cheap and I have 2 of them but they've more than doubled in price since I bought mine. They came with an adapter to use a propane bottle. I bought a couple regulators and I can run one of these full on for a week off a 7.5 gallon bottle...

Tony

Last edited by Geezerbiker; November 27, 2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old November 27, 2019, 08:05 AM   #23
NoSecondBest

Just a word of caution:some of the heaters shown DO NOT have auto shut-off if they fall over and DO NOT have a shut-off if you run into a low oxygen situation due to not enough air circulation. It can happen. The Mr. Buddy line of products (I own no stock in the company, but I worked as a safety manager and was trained in low O2/CO2 situations) has both.
Old November 27, 2019, 10:21 AM   #24
taylorce1

I use this type ofMr Buddy Heater in our portable blinds when I'm hunting with kids on a cold morning. I bought them when my daughter was little. The main problem is they work and the kids usually fall asleep, and sometimes I do as well. I haven't had an unsuccessful hunt because if them, but who knows what was missed.
Old November 27, 2019, 01:31 PM   #25
44 AMP
Staff

Anything that burns anything can use up oxygen and produce CO2. Even though your blind isn't close to being air tight, if the rate of CO2 production is higher than the rate of air exchange it can KILL.

Here's an alternate, line the inside of the blind with "space blankets". No worry about CO2 and the very reflective sheets can "cook you out" from body heat alone under the right conditions.