The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 9, 2016, 01:19 PM   #1
axis223

anyone use this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULkmE79x5BU

looking into this setup but want to make sure its going to hold up before I drop the $ on the prep center and the trimmer adapter.
Old December 9, 2016, 03:41 PM   #2
F. Guffey

I have a RCBS case prep center and use Lyman attachments. And then there is run out; I could not tell where all the wobble was coming from; but when I use a wire brush in one of the positions I would have to jump the prep canter to get it to run straight enough to get the brush into the case.

F. Guffey
Old December 9, 2016, 08:27 PM   #3
SARuger

Looks like it would work. It should work with any of the prep centers with the same thread size.

Lots of wobble in that Lyman, my Frankford Arsenal has zero wobble.
Old December 10, 2016, 12:33 PM   #4
F. Guffey

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...center.814556/

Here is another link, I believe the poster is trying to sell them or help his brother sell them. In my opinion there is no such thing as constructive critic because he has an excuses for every problem, that happens when sellers become members. There was one that covered the reloading forums like the wind, I did not agree with him and he has not been civil to me since but it is not like I lost a friend.

F. Guffey
Old December 10, 2016, 08:04 PM   #5
axis223

guffy you lost me on that last one.
Old December 11, 2016, 10:33 AM   #6
F. Guffey

You sent me a PM and responded to the thread. Yes I can, there are members of many different forums that sell tools. There is one that that has involved other members to create a curiosity about the tool. And then the seller takes over in about post #8 like; "excuse me gentlemen but I got this". I asked him if he was involved in this type of practice; he did not say yes but he did ask me which forum. I know, that makes no sense to most but he wanted to know if there was a forum he was not aware of. Anyhow, it is not difficult to recognize the question; it is as thought it is a cut and paste.

And then the same question pops up on different forums at the same time. Anyhow, when one of the positions wobbles it could require stopping the machine for alignment; like sticking a brush into the neck of a case. I am a fan of neck brushing. I like the brushes that are too big, I like brushing the case body inside and the inside of the neck.

F. Guffey
Old December 11, 2016, 12:44 PM   #7
jmorris

Now, I am lost.
Old December 11, 2016, 01:06 PM   #8
axis223

Guffey.

I am Ohihunter2014 on Thehighroad. I tried singing up here under the same screen name but it got goofed up and wouldn't let me log in and that screen name I guess was taken so I went with axis223. this might be why you see the same post with different names. LOL. I in nooo way are trying to sell something to someone. I just like getting different peoples opinions on stuff so I ask on different forums. If im the guy that "you got into it" with I apologize as I don't remember that. I try and be courteous to others when they are too me.

Ohihunter2014
Old December 11, 2016, 05:41 PM   #9
SARuger

I have also noted to myself that "ohiohunter2014" on THR is "axis223" TFL so I normally only answer one or the other threads.

I like the idea myself of this adapter and i ordered one last night. I will let you know how it works with the Frankford Arsenal prep center!

I have a Lee trimmer for all of my calibers (even .380, yes I'm OCD) so I can see the benifit to me of being able to chuck up and run batches of other calibers while leaving the trimmer on the FA set to my high volume caliber, the .223
Old December 11, 2016, 07:48 PM   #10
Doublehelix3216

I also have the Lyman case prep tool, but the bits only spin at 125 RPM. I am using the Giraud Tri-Way trimmer on a motor that spins at 3,450 RPM. Big difference. I am not saying this solution does *not* work, I have no idea actually, but I love the way the Giraud head works on my system, and I cannot imagine it working on a system that is so much slower. There may be something in the design of their cutting head that allows it to work well at 125 RPM.

Again, I have nothing against other systems, and if they work, great. I hope it works out for you.

Just to reply to one of the comments about the wobble on the Lyman tool bits, I do not see that wobble on my unit, although I do see what you are talking about in the video. My bits are as solid as a rock. I think I would have a tough time using them if they wobbled too much.
Old December 12, 2016, 08:59 AM   #11
wwmkwood

Lee actually makes a cutter with the 8-32 threads now
Old December 12, 2016, 09:13 AM   #12
axis223

wwmkwood

link please.
Old December 12, 2016, 10:10 PM   #13
SARuger

Quote:
Lee actually makes a cutter with the 8-32 threads now
Quote:
wwmkwood

link please.
Here it is;http://leeprecision.com/threaded-cutter.html

I ordered one of these as well.
Old December 13, 2016, 01:18 PM   #14
axis223

thanks SAruger. I am ordering one to use on my lyman hand crank prep tool. I was going to buy a trimmer because the drill sucks but seeing how this screws into my hand crank tool I can save the money cause its the same thing.
Old December 13, 2016, 09:07 PM   #15
m&p45acp10+1

I have the Frankfort Arsenal case trim, and prep center. I would not be without it in the future. I would spend hours with the drill, and Lee trimmer. No more torn up knuckles from .223 with AR bent rims wobbling out of the holder.

The one shown looks nice as well, as it spins the trimmer, and not the case. If you already have the center I would say go for it. If not then FA one has the trimmer on it, and can do most any bottle neck. It is like using an electric pencil sharpener. It has 3 power takes offs for tool heads that work with Lyman, and RCBS.
Old December 13, 2016, 10:21 PM   #16
SARuger

Quote:
I have the Frankfort Arsenal case trim, and prep center. I would not be without it in the future. I would spend hours with the drill, and Lee trimmer. No more torn up knuckles from .223 with AR bent rims wobbling out of the holder.

The one shown looks nice as well, as it spins the trimmer, and not the case. If you already have the center I would say go for it. If not then FA one has the trimmer on it, and can do most any bottle neck. It is like using an electric pencil sharpener. It has 3 power takes offs for tool heads that work with Lyman, and RCBS.
I use the FA sizer for .223 and plan on keeping it set up just for that. What I like about the LEE threaded cutter is that I can use the FA to size my other rifle and magnum handgun cases that I do in lower volumes (30-06, 30-30, .243, .44mag, .357mag)
Old December 15, 2016, 07:37 PM   #17
m&p45acp10+1

With the FA I can trim, chamfer, debur, and ream the primer crimp in a short time, and the trimmer is like using an electric pencil sharpener.