The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 23, 2013, 06:08 PM   #1
9ballbilly

S&W model CS40 info needed

I was offered a chance to pick up this pistol from an FFL dealer friend for $400 OTD. The gun is close to 100% all around and comes with two mags. The problem is I'm not at all familiar with this model. I was only able to find a couple of reviews online and they were all positive. I'd still like to hear opinions of this gun from knowledgeable people here.

Is the price right?

What years was it manufactured?

Any inherent problems with it?

This and any other pertinent info would be greatly appreciated, Thanks
Old November 23, 2013, 09:35 PM   #2
carguychris

Quote:
Is the price right?
Unless the pistol's finish is badly worn- YES.
Quote:
What years was it manufactured?
According to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, 3rd ed., the CS40 was made from 1998 to 2002 in three configurations: matte blue, stainless, and two-tone. The two-tone has a "blued" (actually anodized) alloy frame and SS slide.

If you're going to carry it, IMHO the SS finish is the most desirable, as the blued slide and anodized frame typically don't withstand holster wear very well.
Quote:
Any inherent problems with it?
They reportedly have pretty snappy recoil; I've not fired any of the Smith 3rd-gen subcompacts, so I can't personally vouch for this, but I have no reason to doubt it given the pistol's light weight.

Parts availability may become a problem at some point, as the gun did not sell well.

The CS-series pistols lack the RH-side ambidextrous decocking safety lever found on most other 2nd- and 3rd-gen S&W metal-frame autos.
Old November 23, 2013, 10:45 PM   #3
9ballbilly

Thank you very much. The gun is SS and I do intend to carry it. The finish has almost no wear on it. I'm not very recoil sensitive (no brain- no pain they say ) so snappy recoil shouldn't be a problem.

Since they were only made for a short period maybe it will gain some collector value as time passes.

Guess I won't be able to pass it up.
Old November 24, 2013, 09:08 AM   #4
wpsdlrg

The CS series pistols did sometimes have the ambi decocker/ safety. As I understand it, the later production models got this feature. The CS9 (SS) I used to have (2001 production) certainly had it.

Essentially, the CS series guns were simply SUB-compact variations of single-stack 3rd generation S&W's. Every bit as good and reliable. They were actually part of the "value line" series (so I am told) - which means that they supposedly were equipped with some less expensive parts. However, my CS9 was comparable to any other 3rd gen. I have ever seen and did not have "value line" parts like plastic sights, etc. Quality is excellent on the CS guns (just like the other 3rd gen. Smiths) and comparable to any high-end pistols being made, CZ', Sig, H-K, etc.

Regardless, they have an excellent reputation among S&W 3rd gen. guys and the value has been climbing steadily. $400 for an excellent condition example is really a very good price. A bargain, even.

As was said before, snappy recoil is the main "objection" to the CS40 version. However, recoil is no worse than any other .40 cal pistol of similar size and weight. The CS comes equipped with a rather chunky, rubber Hogue grip, which helps with recoil quite a bit. The grip, as chunky as it is, detracts a small amount in regards to concealment....and doesn't fit everyone's hand. (That's the ONLY reason I no longer have my CS9.) Accuracy tends to be quite good, like the other 3rd gen. models, notwithstanding the fact that the subcompact size takes a bit more getting used to. Some people claim that the CS series guns tend to shoot low - but I am convinced that this is an operator issue, in combination with the grip (which as I said, doesn't fit everyone).

Reliability is excellent, as good as any other 3rd gen. Smith. Parts will become a problem in future, eventually, But, as the guns are VERY reliable and do use some parts common to the other single-stack 3rd gens, I don't think this should be a major concern (perhaps in 10-15 more years).

Overall, my take on the deal offered to the OP : If I was a .40 cal guy and if the grip fit me better, I'd be ALL OVER that deal myself. As the collector value of the CS guns is climbing steadily, he probably won't lose $$ on it. They are excellent carry guns and excellent shooters, so if he uses the gun regularly, it will be a real pleasure. In short - BUY it !
Old November 24, 2013, 10:12 AM   #5
9ballbilly

wpsdlrg- Thanks very much for the info. This particular gun doesn't have the ambi decocker/safety. I'll take that to mean it is an earlier production example.
I do way more carrying than I do shooting these days, coupled with the 3rd gens reliability I doubt parts will ever be an issue for me. The grip does fit my hand well and I am also partial to the .40cal. The SS finish and sub-compact size should make it nearly ideal for CC here in Florida.

I was thinking he was offering me a fair deal from the beginning, but having never seen this model before wanted to know more about it.

Guess I know what my "new" CC gun will be. Thanks again, hope I can repay the favor sometime.
Old November 24, 2013, 10:15 AM   #6
TJH3781

I had a CS40 & felt it was too thick for my liking as a CCW.