The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 14, 2014, 04:24 PM   #1
Ozzieman

Range fines?

Range fines?
Any one belong to a private range where they have range fines?
The range I belong to has placed notices for fines for several infractions and the minimum fine is now 100$.
Like, Last fall someone brought a bunch of plastic bottles and set them on top of one of the horizontal range boards and shot them off cutting one of the boards in half. Then they left all the crap behind.
The following week someone took a bunch of Styrofoam blocks and shot them up with a 223. We know because he left several hundred empties on the firing line. We have a 100, 200 and 300 yard range and the white crap was covering all 3 ranges.
We have had it with pigs on our range. If someone turns it in they will get a 10% reduction in their range fees the next year.
Being on the staff I totally agreed with the adding fines for improper use. This is a private range where we all work together to keep it nice. I know that there are only a few pigs that shoot there but that few makes it bad for everyone.
What kind of crap have you seen at your range?

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old April 14, 2014, 05:09 PM   #2
DaleA

Quote:
This is a private range where we all work together to keep it nice.
I don't know what your setup there is but are you sure it isn't non-members getting onto the range? It would be really sad to think your own members are doing this stuff.
Old April 14, 2014, 05:27 PM   #3
g.willikers

Every range we have ever had memberships with has had this problem.
And it was always another member with no respect for the property or others.
No fines, they got the boot.
Out, be gone and don't come back.
Old April 14, 2014, 07:05 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

I was a member of a range in Pennsylvania when one of the members patterned his shotgun on the side of the jiffy John.

Another member saw it and turned the guy in. The board ejected the guy and word got around quicklyto other ranges in the area.
Old April 14, 2014, 08:10 PM   #5

I never go to a public range, especially outdoor ones. Way too much crazy crap going on.

For the last 30 yrs. or so, I've been using LE ranges. I'm now retired, so I just go off in the woods and shoot.

Never been a fan of shooting with strangers either. I still don't.
Old April 14, 2014, 09:40 PM   #6
ranchito457

I'm a member of a range and on some of of our rifle ranges some jokers sometimes decided to have some fun shooting groups on the legs of the steel berms.we get inspected by the county every year and sometimes they will make the club replace em at a cost of thousands of dollars..Sad.Since we have electronic gates unless someone else is there to catch them no one will ever know who did it....
Old April 14, 2014, 09:49 PM   #7
dogtown tom

1. Hang game cams to record what goes on/who drives in. (both obvious and hidden)
2. Install a gate with key card access that can record who has opened the gate and when.
3. No fines, immediate loss of privileges.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old April 14, 2014, 10:08 PM   #8
Oysterboy

My range is open to public but they are strict and heavily patrolled by armed ROs. One small infraction and you're out of here.

It's a good range and major improvements in progress, we just now got a 25 yards rifle range which was perfect for me to set my sights (red dot and laser) on my 40sw carbine.
Old April 14, 2014, 11:22 PM   #9
Slopemeno

GameCams are a great idea.

I was a guest (not a member) at a certain range.. One of the members was shooting his lever action rifle at a steel target he had brought to the range- he'd placed the steel target on the ground about 1/2 way to the backstop.

Doing his best impersonation of Chuck Conners, shooting his lever gun from the hip he missed the steel target, and the rounds skipped off the ground and went over the backstop, and hit a house a considerable distance away. When the homeowner was able to show the hit on his house the range's landlord caved: no more range.
Old April 14, 2014, 11:43 PM   #10
JimmyR

I go to an indoor range- they are pretty strict with the rules, and while I haven't seen anybody get kicked out, I haven't seen anybody acting stupid in there either.
Old April 15, 2014, 12:34 AM   #11
Brotherbadger

Quote:
I never go to a public range, especially outdoor ones. Way too much crazy crap going on.
Yup, i still go but not near as often as i used to. Everytime i go out during busy hours i seem to get muzzle swept at least once. Lucky for me, i get off work at 8 am, so week day shoots are pretty much empty.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old April 15, 2014, 07:51 AM   #12
Panfisher

One of the public ranges I occasionally go to has for target backers, some sort of rubber conveyor belt stretched between poles. It will absorb a lot of bulletholes, is somewhat difficult to staple targets to but not impossible. Any wooden post anywhere on the range usually gets shot up sometire during the year.
Old April 15, 2014, 08:09 AM   #13
Skans

I belonged to two private ranges and to my knowledge they did not have fines. When I read the topic heading, I thought the fines were going to be for improper firearms handling. I'm not for fines on these kinds of infractions - a scolding is fine, but not fines.

But, for range pigs - yeah, I get it, fine them! No one likes to pick up other people's crap. Filthy pigs who skunk up the range with no thought about who has to clean it up should be fined.
Old April 15, 2014, 08:31 AM   #14
Don P

Quote:
Range fines?
Any one belong to a private range where they have range fines?
No fine at the range I belong to. Members doing stupid stuff as the OP stated just have there membership canceled, bared from the range and DO NOT get a refund on membership dues.
All this is stipulated in our range policies and rules. Depending on the offenders attitude when confronted about there actions they may get a warning with the intent of if it happens again they are gone for good.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 15, 2014, 03:57 PM   #15
Ozzieman

This is a private range and someone could get in but the distance from the only gate to any of the range is well over 400 yards.
There are some safety rules which I won’t go into but here are some of the rules.

Some target frames are supplied by the . When using these frames, targets are to be placed between the uprights and cross members in such a manner that bullets hitting the target will NOT hit the frame. It is expected that some shots may hit the frame and it will have to be replaced through wear and tear. Intentional placing of a target so that bullets will hit the frame will result in fines being levied. Objects are not to be placed directly on the frame to be shot off!
$100.00

The bench rest that are under cover are to be used ONLY for the 100 yard firing line. The bench rests out in the open may be used at 100 or 200 yards firing line. The bench rest at the 200 and 300 yard range firing line may be used at the left end of the 300 yard target line or right end of the 200 yard target.
$50.00

PROHIBITED ITEMS AND OR ACTIONS:
Description
Fine Amount

Glass targets are prohibited! We have no way of cleaning up broken glass from the range. You may shoot at "tin" cans or plastic containers, but these are not to be placed on target frames or on the ground except at the base of the backstop. Please make sure to clean up when you are done shooting. Your mess is your responsibility.
$50.00

Hard metallic targets such as but not limited to gongs, bells, deulling trees, etc. are to be used only during Club sanctioned events due to the possibility of ricochets. Any ricochet has the potential to shut down the range.
$100.00

Tracer and or incendiary ammunition is prohibited! Use of these types of ammunition constitutes a serious fire hazard.
$100.00

Fireworks, anti-tank guns, bazookas, cannons, flares, fully-automatic firearms, grenades, mortars, or any explosives are PROHIBITED! A scaled down replica of a muzzle-loading cannon or mortar may be fired without a projectile with prior approval of the Club's Officers. Flares may be used to start trash fires during clean up days if necessary. Arms using the Cal .50 Browning Machine Gun Cartridge or any round based on the .50 BMG case are prohibited due to the amount of damage they cause to the backstops.
$100.00

The use of alcoholic beverages is prohibited by shooters on the range! Anyone who is, appears to be, or pretends to be "Under the Influence" will be ejected from the Range. Alcoholic beverages may be consumed when the range is closed for maintenance. A first offense will result in a $100.00 fine; a second offense will result in expulsion.
$100.00 / Expulsion

Club equipment such as but not limited to signs, tables, chairs, benches, rifle racks, trash barrels and or ladders are NOT targets or target holders. Intentional destruction of such club equipment is cause for expulsion.
Expulsion

$25.00

Snowmobiles and trail bikes are prohibited! Our Range is for shooting and not for cross-country motorcycling or snowmobiling.
$50.00

Smoking is prohibited on the firing line during Club matches in accordance with NRA rules, and is prohibited in loading areas and firing lines during muzzle-loading matches $100.00

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old April 15, 2014, 04:06 PM   #16
dstryr

I belong to an IWL range and wish there'd be some fines assessed for people leaving the pistol ranges a complete [mess] with target holders shot to heck, trash, cardboard, casings, and whatever else falls out of their trucks when they're there. I mean, the wood uprights get shot through and are in pieces, and then are left in the range when new ones go up. Is it that much work to drag a few pieces of wood to the trash can? I clean up the one shed I shoot from whenever I go there. It is truly ridiculous how much crap is left behind. Dang, do I sound bitter?

http://www.dstryr.com/

Last edited by Evan Thomas; April 15, 2014 at 06:12 PM. Reason: language.
Old April 15, 2014, 08:37 PM   #17
globemaster3

The last private range I belonged to was very large, with multiple individual ranges spread out over 750 acres. Each range had cameras. When buffoonery happened, it was easy to pull the tapes and see who it was, including the key swipe at the gate. Folks were dismissed for nonsense the likes of which I am hearing here.

Another step that prevented most buffoons from being in the range were a $250 1-time membership fee and a $250/year renewal.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old April 15, 2014, 10:06 PM   #18
glh17

I haven't shot at an outdoor range in years, but I have no problem with fines for the type of things you mentioned. Post the rules, enforce the rules, and if someone doesn't pay the fine he/she can find somewhere else to shoot.
Old April 16, 2014, 08:16 AM   #19
aarondhgraham

I have a difficult time with fines,,,

I have a difficult time with fines,,,
Because no matter how well intentioned the idea may be,,,
It always, and I do mean always, turns into a revenue generating practice.

If someone is breaking club rules,,,
Counsel them, suspend them, or revoke their membership,,,
But leave money out of the equation because it's an unreasonable thing to do.

JMHO

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old April 17, 2014, 11:50 AM   #20
oldbadger

trash created by shooting enthusiasts

I am fortunate to be able to travel around the desert in Arizona through the winter months. I am frequently stunned to see the amount of trash generated by and abandoned in the desert by people shooting. The jeep club of which I am a member often organizes cleanups of certain areas and a goodly portion of the trash is discarded shotgun shells and brass, but the major portion is of shot up target materials that might range somewhere between old TVs to automobiles. I am embarrassed to have my jeeping friends see this stuff. These observations have driven me to an indoor range.
The amount of trash in some areas has resulted in closure of those areas by the Forest Service.

I hope that somehow shooting enthusiasts will become educated to "pack it in and pack it out" and otherwise clean up after themselves.
Old April 17, 2014, 01:00 PM   #21
Urbansavage

I belong to a large private range that has six shooting bays/areas. It's ran by the local sportsman club. It's got plenty of rules, but no fines.

The range is frequented by members of the club who have no problem contacting people about rule violations. I personally haven't seen people shooting glass or intentionally destroying property. But I'm guessing if you were caught doing such they would warn you and then kick you out.
Old April 17, 2014, 02:56 PM   #22
johnwilliamson062

"I thought the fines were going to be for improper firearms handling. I'm not for fines on these kinds of infractions - a scolding is fine, but not fines."
I disagree, although maybe not $100 dollar fines as it is usually an accident or ignorance. A $10 fine would provide good reinforcement.
I wish the ranges I belonged to did. Last place the biggest problem was people stealing diesel though.
Old April 18, 2014, 01:17 PM   #23
DennisCA

Never heard of range issuing fines, in my experience a verbal warning is issued and if they persist in acting improperly - then the are told to leave.

Repeat offenders get banned
Old April 21, 2014, 09:37 AM   #24
Patriot86

Quote:
Snowmobiles and trail bikes are prohibited! Our Range is for shooting and not for cross-country motorcycling or snowmobiling.
$50.00
I love that rule...and the fact it has to be a rule...then again those back stops could make a damn fun hill for a snowmobile in the off season when the ground is hard frozen.

We have a local public range that has threatened to issue $500.00 fines for things like rapid fire, steel core ammo, food/drink on the range etc but I have never heard of it enforced.
Old April 21, 2014, 09:45 AM   #25
green_MTman

in vermont most ranges are in such remote area's there is never an administrative person at the range.even on a saturday morning.

they do have rules like,if they can prove you left garbage or were drinking at the range they can revoke your membership.but the key word is:"Prove" and with nobody there who could prove it.

and how are these fines enforced,pay or lose membership or are they legaly binding