The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 12, 2013, 09:07 PM   #1
ndbbm

PA gun laws

Hello, I hope I posted this under the right section. I live in NJ and may be going to an estate auction in PA where they may have some guns for sale. My question is does anyone know if I need any documentation or go through an FFL to purchase a hand gun or rifle? Also what is the leagal barrel lenght of a rifle in PA? Thanks for your help! John
Old February 12, 2013, 09:18 PM   #2
NJgunowner

To buy a long gun you WILL need an FFL in PA since you're an out of state resident. You'll also need to make sure it meets the NUMEROUS restriction requirements of NJ. If you look up banned in the dictionary they show a picture of a gun with the state of NJ in the background with a big red circle crossed out. You also need to have a NJ FID card.

You MUST have any handguns SHIPPED to a NJ FFL where you will need to have a nics check run. You MUST have a NJ handgun purchase permit, you may NOT buy more than one every 30 days.

If you don't a FID or Pistol permit right now, don't bother buying any guns. There's a 3 month + wait right now in almost every town in NJ.
Old February 12, 2013, 11:20 PM   #3
2ndsojourn

NJgunowner,..Are you sure about needing a FID card to purchase a long gun in PA? I bought a 22 a few years ago at a gun show from a dealer (they did a NICS check) before getting my card and there wasn't an issue.
Old February 13, 2013, 12:18 AM   #4
war_elephant

You can buy a gun in PA with a FID, any FFL dealer in PA should require it, and PICS, PA NICS will ask for your FID # or SBI. #. You will have to have handguns shipped to a FFL in NJ. This is Federal Law. I work at a gun shop and we deal with this all the time. Long guns dont have to be shipped to NJ, you can buy them in PA, but not handguns. Hope this helps.
Old February 13, 2013, 09:25 AM   #5
NJgunowner

Quote:
NJgunowner,..Are you sure about needing a FID card to purchase a long gun in PA? I bought a 22 a few years ago at a gun show from a dealer (they did a NICS check) before getting my card and there wasn't an issue.
Then both of you broke NJ state law. You CANNOT under any circumstances buy a gun while living in NJ without a FID. If you LIVED out of state and brought it with you when you moved here that would be fine. If you inherited it, that would be fine. But as a resident of the state buying a gun without a FID is a no no.
Old February 13, 2013, 08:24 PM   #6
ndbbm

Thanks guys for all of your help!