The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 29, 2012, 11:02 PM   #1
jaughtman

Surplus P7 finish?

My second-favorite 9mm is my HK P7 surplus trade-in....one of the ones with the plum/purplish frame. Anyone else have one of these AND put years/a lot of rounds through it? Just curious how that finish has stood up.

J
Old December 29, 2012, 11:20 PM   #2
WVsig

The plum purplish finish is just a blued job with a discoloration due to the hardness of the steel. IIRC. It will hold up as well as any blue job will IMHO
Old December 29, 2012, 11:49 PM   #3
ClydeFrog

If it were me, I'd...

get the used HK P-7 treated with Bearcoat; www.bearcoat.com .
It's a good value & they offer a lifetime service plan. You have a choice of colors; black/tan/green/grey/camo. They cut a deal on spare magazines also.
To my knowledge, the shop time is only around 2 weeks(14 business days).

If you plan to carry or use the P-7 9x19mm, I'd get a surface treatment/coating.
I've had 2 Beretta 96D .40 pistols with Robar's NP3. It's worth it.

Clyde
Old December 30, 2012, 07:15 AM   #4
Pilot

I have a P7M8 from 1989 that looks new, no plum on the slide. I also have a P7 surplus gun from 1983 that shows a bit of holster wear from it previous BMI user, but again no plum color.

The finish is durable as any other blue finish. I don't know why some exhibit the plum color as they age, and some don't. The plum color does not bother me in the least, however.
Old December 30, 2012, 08:48 AM   #5
Sixer

I have one and LOVE it! I wish I would have bought a few more I've been planning on having the slide refinished for a few years now, haha. It's something I'd like to do... but there is really no NEED.

The plan is to shoot it and carry it, so I figure I might as well wait until the wear is significant enough. Plum is not my favorite color, but it really doesn't bother me. Just my .02

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old December 30, 2012, 10:12 AM   #6
jaughtman

Oops....

Of course, I meant "slide", not frame. The frame is the standard P7 dull blue. Love the fact you pick it up, automatically squeezing the grip, and it is good to go - pretty much goof-proof in a defense situation. I have been toying around with the idea of having night sights put on it, but have been "told" that they will not be as accurate - that HK does something special to "regulate" their fixed sights. Not sure why that would be, however.

J
Old December 30, 2012, 09:38 PM   #7
chris in va

The plum color really just comes out with a camera flash. It's not very obvious under normal ambient light.
Old December 31, 2012, 03:02 PM   #8
loose_holster_dan

i'd be more worried about wearing out the barrel than the slide finish. those barrels are not cheap to come by.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old January 1, 2013, 04:23 AM   #9
NWCP

My plum P7 has held up well over the past 6 years. The guns are very accurate (the fixed barrel does the trick) and reliable. They make a great carry piece. I had Del Fatti build a holster for mine and it makes carrying the P7 and P7M8 a real pleasure. Being grip heavy you really need the right holster. I actually like the plum slide of the P7. Care for it properly and it will serve you well.