The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 7, 2012, 01:41 PM   #1
cmdc

SCAR 17s and M1A Scout

I just got one of each. I put an EOTech 516 with a 3x magnifier on the SCAR, and am wondering what would be good to put on the Scout. I would also like your opinions about Elcan optics.
Old May 7, 2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Crow Hunter

I have read that the ARMS mount isn't reliable. I have also heard that there is a fairly large variation in POI between the 4X and the 1X aiming points.

I have only seen one in person one time.

It was very heavy and very expensive.

What is your goal for the rifle?

You should pick optics based on your anticipated usage.

Good luck.
Old May 7, 2012, 03:48 PM   #3
cmdc

Good question. They will both see boat duty in the FL gulf, and be used for pig hunting and target shooting.
Old May 8, 2012, 07:33 AM   #4
Crow Hunter

Quote:
Good question. They will both see boat duty in the FL gulf, and be used for pig hunting and target shooting.
With that usage in mind, I would just go with a Red Dot sight of some sort.

Using a magnified optic on a boat takes some special skills and training just avoid getting sick.

Pig hunting is usally a fairly close range more "heads up" type hunting in my experience.

The M1A SOCOM is going to be difficult & expensive to mount a magnified optic on to get the proper eye relief and still sturdy enough for rough and tumble use. It is also already fairly heavy, adding the Elcan will probably make it really unwieldy. I don't have any experience with one mounted though.

If it were me, I would mount a good RDS like a Aimpoint T1/Eotech on the forward rail. The T1 would probably be a better bet as it is less temperature sensitive than most Eotechs based on what I have read.

This of course is just my uneducated opinion. I have never been on the Gulf, much less with a rifle.

I did have a M1a for many years. If you are taking it out in the salt spray. Get a good waterproof bag. There are alot of nooks and crannies on the M14 style action and alot of steel that may not react well to salt spray and be a really pain to get clean before corrosion sets in.

Good luck.
Old May 8, 2012, 01:53 PM   #5
SR420

Quote:
Crow Hunter

The M1A SOCOM is going to be difficult & expensive to mount a magnified optic on to get the proper eye relief and still sturdy enough for rough and tumble use. It is also already fairly heavy, adding the Elcan will probably make it really unwieldy. I don't have any experience with one mounted though.

If it were me, I would mount a good RDS like a Aimpoint T1/Eotech on the forward rail. The T1 would probably be a better bet as it is less temperature sensitive than most Eotechs based on what I have read.
+1

An Aimpoint sitting low on an Ultimak M8 rail in a USGI synthetic stock would probably be ideal.

Something like this:

Old May 8, 2012, 05:45 PM   #6
cmdc

Thanks, guys. That's a good looking setup. That's the direction I'm headed.
Old May 8, 2012, 06:00 PM   #7
cmdc

Another question: will the Aimpoint fit on the standard synthetic stock with the Ultimak8 or do I have to get the usgi stock? Mine is the scout model which has a small area for optic mounting. Also, how does the rifle do just using the irons, as far as distance?

Thanks.
Old May 8, 2012, 06:13 PM   #8
SR420

It should fit fine on the synthetic stock Springfield uses... if it doesn't, you can fin a used GI synthetic and swap out.

The Scout was my very first M14 type rifle and the irons are excellent past 500 yards.

The great thing about the M8 from Ultimak is that it keeps the optic low enough that you will not need to add a cheek riser...
Old May 8, 2012, 06:47 PM   #9
Therealkoop

I have a vortex 2-7x32 on my scout, and I think its great match for the rifles intended use and capabilities.

It sits on a basett machine low picatinny mount, which can be had for 150$ new and IMO is one the of the bestr mounts availiable.

Your cheekweld wiyth a scope is going to be garbage. I have a kydex riser by DWP that works great.

Its intially pretty costly to scope and M1a, but its not diffcult at all or hard to do with the new mount options availiable.
Old May 8, 2012, 08:01 PM   #10
JeffSSig

Weaver Classic K scope.
Works real well.
Quick remove mounts and I can use the sights anytime I want to.