The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 25, 2011, 02:29 PM   #1
KMAX

Trail Boss for 45-70 loads

Anyone have opinions on the use of Trail Boss for loadind 45-70? Would like some input. Thanks.
Old August 25, 2011, 02:33 PM   #2
mikejonestkd

search is your friend:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458140

http://www.imrpowder.com/data/rifle/...ss-oct2005.php

Hope this helps
Old August 25, 2011, 04:21 PM   #3
hornetguy

I loaded some up in mine... TB is a good powder for milder loads. It fills up more of the case, which makes some folks feel better about the whole thing.
I think I've found my "standard" load, using 15gr of Unique, and the Lee 405gr hollow base bullet. That's pretty good economy for LOTS of shooting.
IIRC, the TB loads I tried were even milder than the Unique load.
Old August 25, 2011, 04:37 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Yep. If you run the two in QuickLOAD, the TB is faster and lower energy than Unique, and you can't fit quite enough in to match the Unique velocity. Besides, the peak pressure is already higher and compressing it is a no-no. QuickLOAD thinks you'll save a little more money by switching to 13.8 grains of Bullseye. Peak pressure and velocity produced are about the same and the burn is cleaner and the metering easier.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 26, 2011, 10:05 AM   #5
Greg Mercurio

Trailboss is excellent for reduced recoil practice. I've never chronographed any of the loads I use, but accuracy is excellent and I can shoot all day without protection, except the .450 Nitro Express. It still thumps more than I want it to even with TB.

I use it in the following plinkers:

.375 H&H
.375 Win
.416 Rigby
.458 Win
.450 NE

Follow the instructions, it is very forgiving and I don't see a lot of group dispersion from 80% to 100% loads.
Old August 26, 2011, 03:34 PM   #6
Ralph Allen

KMAX,
I believe if you go to IMR's website they will give you the proper way to measure your cases to use Trail Boss. I believe the sequence is, mark your case where the bullet you will be using is bottomed out, fill the case with TB to this point, and then use 70% of this capacity as your load. It's way more detailed in IMR's description. Just make sure you do this procedure with each brand of case you use. I know that Remington brass has less capacity than Winchester does.
Ralph
Old August 26, 2011, 09:08 PM   #7
Loader9

I've found SR4759 a much better choice in the 45-70 for reduced loads, much better loading density, highly accurate, exceptionally clean burning, and fairly economical. It's a bulky powder and will not meter thru a powder measure but, it works fabulous with the Lee Dipper set. I use it for all of my reduced loads. Burn rate is close to IMR4227. To give you an idea of the bulk, 19.0 grs in a 3006 case is about an 80% loading density. Otherwise, the above Unique load posted by hornetguy also works great in all of my 45-70's. It's not quite as clean burning as the SR4759 but it's far from dirty.
Old August 27, 2011, 08:14 AM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

TrailBoss is has even lower bulk density than SR4759. From Lee's VMD chart, SR4759 is 0.653 grams/cc. Trail Boss is just 0.298 grams/cc, so it takes up a little over twice as much space per gain. It's got the lowest bulk density of any powder on Lee's list. It burns fast, like a pistol powder, but you can't fit enough in to damage a modern rifle. That means the velocity it produces is limited. It's only hazard is you can't compress it at all without risking pressure spikes.

The IMR load Trail Boss instructions are here.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle