The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 27, 2011, 09:16 PM   #1
tahunua001

AK74 vs AR15(same cal)

hello all,
I've been rattling around the idea of either buying an AK74 or building myself an AR15 in 5.45 soviet.
I already own an AR15 in the generic 5.56 nato and one in 9MM.
I also own a century Romanian AK47
I love my ar15s to death but if the 9mm has taught me anything it's to be wary of conversion kits for the AR15. that said, I love all three, the ak47 will shoot anything I put in it no matter how fast I squeeze the trigger but even the 9mm beats it to hell as far as accuracy goes. so I need input

if you had the choice would you prefer the AK reliability or the AR accuracy?
also if anyone has had the AR
how does it stack up for comfortableness?
I know the 762 soviet conversions dont take well to cheap ammo(FTFs, snapped extractors, ETC) how reliable are the 5.45 AR15s?
Old July 27, 2011, 09:20 PM   #2
rdf.hack

The AK any day. Easier to clean, cheaper and sturdier magazines, and some can be 1MOA accurate, ask Sharpsdressedman, whose AK-74 has a 2 in group at 200 yards.
Old July 27, 2011, 09:25 PM   #3
essohbe

An AK74 is going to be almost as accurate as the AR if you are used to shooting it. With a scope the difference is probably marginal so it will come down to preference. I pick the AK but to each their own. If you're used to ARs maybe give it a try but the AR 5.45 uppers have gotten some bad reviews; However, really the round was made for the 16" AK barrel (not saying it can't perform better in an AR - I'm just making a useless point ).

Just research before you buy. I think that with the abundance of corrosive 5.45 ammo the AK is easier to clean also and not worry about than an AR. Just me though. Do what thou will. The AR and the Ak are equally comfortable to me, it's really going to be your individual preference there I think.

And yeah, you have the magazine advantage with the AK.
Old July 27, 2011, 10:20 PM   #4
Evil Monkey

They're both the same damn thing, rifles that shoot bullets. There's no realistic accuracy or reliability differences if you have a high quality product whether it's an AK or AR.

I find that the only difference between the two is that the ar15's selector switch is easier to use and ambidextrous, which is why I like the ar15 better.

barring that, I would just choose which ever is cheaper or play eeny, meeny, miny, moe.
Old July 27, 2011, 10:33 PM   #5
EdInk

Absolutely the AK
Old July 27, 2011, 10:44 PM   #6
MidwestRookie

I wish I had the extra cash to spend, because I want one of the Bulgy AK74s really really bad...

for 5.45x39 I'd definitely go AK..
Old July 28, 2011, 07:28 AM   #7
brian923

Id say ak ONLY because the mags are going to work better for that cartridge. As to the old reliability issue, if you keep an AR clean, it will run forever. You still have to clean an AK to keep it reliable. Also, id like to personally see the 2" 200 yard group shot. Is he handloading 5.45x39? I doubt surpluse in this caliber can do that. If it can, ill stop reloading my 223 and get an ak..... Im thinking not...
Old July 28, 2011, 08:49 AM   #8
rdf.hack

Here: http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-598694.html

And no, he doesn't reload.
Old July 28, 2011, 09:55 AM   #9
essohbe

Quote:
Also, id like to personally see the 2" 200 yard group shot. Is he handloading 5.45x39? I doubt surpluse in this caliber can do that. If it can, ill stop reloading my 223 and get an ak..... Im thinking not...
Lol. Believe it or not, the AK74 is surprisingly accurate. I'm good for 2moa with irons @ 100yds and that's with bad eyesight too. There's no reason why anyone couldn't get as good or better, farther, with a scope.
Old July 28, 2011, 10:24 AM   #10
rdf.hack

The AKM variants also can be accurate. I know a person with an AK/S Polytech who can get 2MOA at 100 yards.
Old July 28, 2011, 11:58 AM   #11
Katophract

Get the rifle that's made for the round. I wouldn't get a .223 AK and I wouldn't get a 5.45 AR. True, there are good examples of each one but I don't like to gamble with my money.
Old July 28, 2011, 01:23 PM   #12
Cornhusker77

I vote AK, but then, I'm in my AK phase right now.
Last year when I was in my AR Phase I might have voted the other way.
Old July 28, 2011, 04:14 PM   #13
brian923

I may stand corrected, but i have read my fair share of internet BS. If it is true, its pretty darn good. I believe the AR to be superior in all aspects, but then again, thats just my opinion. A cool tourtur test to check out is over at danieldefense.com. its from a t.v. seties on sportsman channel. I think many will think twice about the AR platforms so calledinability to be abused and keep shooting. All this being said, i do not own an AK, and probably never will. But, i still stand by what i said eatlier and say the 74 will probably run better in the 5.45 mearly because of the curved magazins
Brian.
Old July 28, 2011, 05:29 PM   #14
rdf.hack

@brian923

To each his own. And not all ARs are created equal either. A lot has to do with the magazines being of a poor design, the new STANAG compliant magazines are a whole lot better than the older ones we used previously.

That being said, I will probably never own an AR-15 or AR-10. I've had bad experiences with one in 5.56 (owned by a friend), the ergonomics were terrible (I prefer all controls on the right side and as close to the trigger, I have small hands and couldn't easily operate the safety or bolt release.) and when it jammed, I punched the FA, fired a round and had a case failure that blew the magazine out of the rifle and warped the mag well. My friend went out and bought an MSAR after he returned the gun for a refund and he has been much happier with it.
Old July 28, 2011, 05:46 PM   #15
tahunua001

not all ars are that bad. if his was your average cookie cutter ar15 then I can see your point. my ar15 I yanked the carbine handguard and standard a2 pistol grip and replaced them with a badger ordnance handguard and a hogue pistol grip. now it is without a doubt the most comfortable rifle I own. I actually would love my ak a lot more if I were to put a hogue pistol grip on it
Old July 28, 2011, 06:10 PM   #16
Jo6pak

For 5.45, I'd get the AK