The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: Which handgun (in your opinion) gets the 2009 handgun of the year award?
Glock 173 23.70%
Ruger 127 17.40%
Springfield 68 9.32%
Colt 17 2.33%
HK 25 3.42%
CZ 37 5.07%
Smith & Wesson 65 8.90%
Walther 16 2.19%
Dan Wesson 31 4.25%
Kimber 16 2.19%
Khar 11 1.51%
Steyr 3 0.41%
Beretta 11 1.51%
Wilson Combat 8 1.10%
Ed Brown 10 1.37%
Les Baer 7 0.96%
Browning (FN) 9 1.23%
IMI 7 0.96%
Taurus 29 3.97%
Sig 60 8.22%
Voters: 730. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 17, 2009, 10:25 PM   #26
Mikeyboy

Quote:
What pistol is everyone loving made by Ruger, the SR9?
Youtube comparison between the Glock 17 and the Ruger SR9. Ruger gunning for the glock???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpTaV3A2jIE
Old September 17, 2009, 11:17 PM   #27
predecessor

Another Vote for the CZ P07

The poll lists manufacturers and not pistols released near/in 2009

For me, the best of 2009 is the P07 -- it's a great pistol - a real sleeper that people should take a serious look at. Well built and I shoot it very well. That's the goal of any pistol worth it's salt. It's a great value as well which I appreciate in this economy.

Runner Up: Ruger LCR -- this Ruger release was actually innovative.

Honorable Mention: Taurus PT-709 -- Up till now, not many other offerings in the compact slim category and brand snobs are missing out on a great little pistol.

Ironically, the LCP is at the bottom of the list for me. Best seller? Definitely. But it's basically a better dressed clone with a recall. And based on that criteria I'd rather have the recently released Sig 238 in my pocket.

Last edited by predecessor; September 18, 2009 at 04:49 AM.
Old September 18, 2009, 10:32 PM   #28
cb18bek

voted kahr, probably not the best but I like it
Old September 19, 2009, 06:34 PM   #29
Firepower!

I cant understand how Taurus is doing better than Walther in this poll???
Old September 19, 2009, 07:15 PM   #30
Webleymkv

As a manufacturer overall, I give the nod to Ruger for both the interesting guns and interesting calibers they've introduced in the past year. As far as a single model in particular, I'd have to go with the LCR as it's the only truly revolutionary gun I can think of within the past year. Runner-up for model of the year, IMHO, would be the Colt Delta Elite.
Old September 19, 2009, 07:23 PM   #31
Gandalf61

Ruger LCP

Love it. Easy to carry, functions wonderfully, and I can carry it anywhere.......
Old September 20, 2009, 08:01 AM   #32
Firepower!

Taurus and HK are 1 vote apart, while Taurus is way ahead of walther, les baer, wilson, and other very well made handguns.
Old September 20, 2009, 09:20 AM   #33
predecessor

Quote:
I cant understand how Taurus is doing better than Walther in this poll???
Quote:
Taurus and HK are 1 vote apart, while Taurus is way ahead of walther, les baer, wilson, and other very well made handguns.
Do not fret brand snobs, for this is hardly a scientific poll. First, it's unclear whether the poll is asking the audience's opinion as to best manufacturer or best recent release of a new pistol (which really makes a big difference here). Also, keep in mind that most of the poll participants will vote on something they have experience with (which is as it should be) so you will get more votes for manufacturers/pistols that people actually own. Finally, there is no clear criteria set for "best" -- Best innovation? Best design? Best construction? Best value?

While I am in no way claiming that Taurus is producing a better quality handgun than those listed above, they most certainly are producing the "best" handgun for under $400 when compared to the others.

So don't sweat it. We're just having some fun here on the forum. Relax and enjoy the banter.
Old September 21, 2009, 09:26 AM   #34
Firepower!

What will interesting for me to see is whether Glock will remain in top three this time or not, as it was runner up last time. It is quite evident from results so far that Ruger might be the winner at the end of the day. Glock however is struggling for the thrid spot, which is rare since lots of Glock owners out there, and many of them just vote glock in every poll.
Old September 21, 2009, 07:09 PM   #35
Rollin Thunder

It would be interesting to see the number of sales, percentage wise, for each manufactuer. Would it mirror the survey?
I have a few handguns and voted Dan Wesson, for my money, the best value in the handgun market today. Problem is, they only make a few thousand a year. How many folks actually have them and placed a vote? Very few, I'd say. Fun survey, Ruger surprised me, although I collect the "six series" frikkin' tanks I tell you!
Old September 21, 2009, 07:50 PM   #36
Gym

I have no pre determined idea about Ruger. But after going to their website and looking at their new guns , I must say that just about every one has a recall of some kind. Is that normal? I looked at 3 guns and there were 3 recalls. Seems like a big company listed on the New York stock exchange should do a bit more testing on their products before releasing them to the public. It isn't great press to have someone shoot themselves in the foot, or worse, because the pistol fires when it hits the ground in this day and age.
Old September 21, 2009, 08:15 PM   #37
predecessor

Quote:
Is that normal?
For Ruger it seems to be. But no company is immune to QC issues. Don't let it stop you from purchasing a gun that floats your boat!
Old September 21, 2009, 08:41 PM   #38
Webleymkv

Quote:
I have no pre determined idea about Ruger. But after going to their website and looking at their new guns , I must say that just about every one has a recall of some kind. Is that normal? I looked at 3 guns and there were 3 recalls. Seems like a big company listed on the New York stock exchange should do a bit more testing on their products before releasing them to the public. It isn't great press to have someone shoot themselves in the foot, or worse, because the pistol fires when it hits the ground in this day and age.
It must be remembered that in our litigous society most gun makers err on the side of caution when it comes to possible safety issues. A few isolated incidents even under extremely unusual circumstances will often prompt a recall of entire runs or even entire model lines of a particular gun. Even with the recalls, the chance of having a safety issue with a new Ruger is extremely small.
Old September 21, 2009, 11:53 PM   #39
terminator

did i miss something
what has glock changed for 2009
that maybe why this reliable firearm is not running first
if they make a LCP size gun in 9mm, what do you think next years polls would be
why change..........perfection

JMHO
Old September 22, 2009, 12:09 AM   #40
mrray13

i voted ruger, for the LCR. noone else really came out with anything innovative, IMO. the LCR will span a few clones in the polymer revolver department....ruger should be a clear winner this year.
Old September 22, 2009, 01:25 AM   #41
jgcoastie

I've got to give Ruger my nod, even though I don't own one... The LCP and LCR are true innovations in the compact handgun world.

Another reason is the recent terrible experiences with current-production models from S&W. The lock gave me some fits at the range a few times. Then I handled and shot a Super Redhawk, a SP101 & a GP100... I'll never even look at a S&W of any type, ever again. The Rugers are true works of beauty in the wheelgun realm...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old September 22, 2009, 02:58 AM   #42
Nnobby45

Polls are difficult, since many are really choosing "best for the money". Glocks and Rugers are always up there.

Lot's of good ones to choose from. I went with Sig Sauer, which are simply among the best---though more costly. I own my share of 1911's, Glocks, and so on, but I carry a Sig day in and day out. P220, P229, P239. Have to admit not wanting to part with my G19, though.

I'd rather see a poll on specific guns, not the company that makes a number of different ones.

Quote:
I've got to give Ruger my nod, even though I don't own one... The LCP and LCR are true innovations in the compact handgun world.
It's too early to bestow that honor on an unproven street gun. I'm letting others do the R&D and prove the worthiness on the mean streets before I buy one.

My revolvers are S&W's along with a Colt or two. I know Ruger revolvers, the ones that have been around a while, are excellent guns. We'll see about the new "innovations" and maybe my skepticism will be misplaced.
Old September 22, 2009, 06:55 AM   #43
Amendtwo

+1 for Ruger

Although I do not own one, the LCR is certainly innovative and, from the reports seen so far, successful. Combined with the LCP and the SR9, the LCR gives Ruger a significant slice of the self-defense market.
Old September 22, 2009, 08:04 AM   #44
Firepower!

If Ruger has so many recalls, then why do people keep buying them?

As much as I like Glock, I am really disappointed in their 4th gen. What in the world have to improved upon. I know the gun is close to perfect in performance, but they could have done something to improve the ergonomics as their customers outline it a concern (someone else here has also mentioned this). Furthermore, why come out with a 4th gen if nothing changed. I am sorry to say but Glock seems to be doing what Colt did. Ignore the civillian markets and focus on big sales to LE Agencies around the world. Sales is a good thing, but not at expense of civilians. Remember it was the civilians who gave the hype which is now becoming military contracts in many countries.
Old September 22, 2009, 08:28 AM   #45
Motownstan

As a general company poll it's gotta be Ruger
Old September 22, 2009, 08:31 AM   #46
predecessor

Quote:
but they could have done something to improve the ergonomics as their customers outline it a concern
Why? People buy the gun anyway. If you are Glock, why change? With all of the design features that can be improved, a little marketing and peer pressure solves that problem. Besides, there are more Glock owners who cry "perfection" than "change" so a Glock will always be a Glock. If it's not broke, don't fix it. If you don't like the ergonomics of the Glock, buy one of several other polymer pistols from other manufacturers that have better ergonomics
Old September 22, 2009, 01:16 PM   #47
Firepower!

Quote:
If you are Glock, why change?
Because my next purchase may not be Glock. Other polymers will share a bigger pie in the market eventually.

For one that Glock could improve on is the tirgger reset. They should make it shorter. Now that would keep me buying glocks until I replace all the current models I have.
Old September 22, 2009, 02:41 PM   #48
Nnobby45

Quote:
As a general company poll it's gotta be Ruger
I wonder if that would be the case if the poll specified quality without re: to cost, and included overall production standards for different guns.

I think Sig Sauer and S&W would take a back seat to no one. Both make lots of guns and are bigger than Ruger.

As for specific HG of the year, Ruger would certainly be a contender with their, "innovative" new designs that may prove worth over time.

Last edited by Nnobby45; September 22, 2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old September 23, 2009, 03:50 AM   #49
b.thomas

Ruger number one? Not!
Just about every new model gun they've put in the last year or two has had a recall on it. On top of that, many of the current production handguns made in the couple of years, had production quality problems with them...........like my p95 just bought June of last year.
Way too many recalls and folks that have had to send their guns back to ruger, just to get the gun fixed
Old September 23, 2009, 06:46 AM   #50
PhoenixConflagration

I voted Glock because the G19 is simply one of the best all-around handguns, this year or any other.

(And no, I'm not being a fanboy who thinks that because I love the G19, that all other guns must be crap. It's an opinion poll and what floats my boat may not float yours.)

Tags
best handgun , glock , ruger , smith & wesson , springfield