The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 6, 2008, 10:54 AM   #1
James Longstreet

Cap and ball Revolver

What is the best cap and ball Revolver for Western shooting? Best regards James Longstreet
Old October 6, 2008, 11:44 AM   #2
noelf2

Wow, there's so many variables that you are sure to get a lot of opinions. What it really comes down to is what you wish to do in western shooting. Do you want quick draw? Target? Cowboy action games? Do you want the gun to be built to period specs, or not?

My preference are the period correct versions of the Pietta 1858 New Model Army (.44cal) or the New Model Navy (.36cal) in either the 5.5" or 8" barrels. 8" barrels aren't so good for quick draw though. Others may prefer the Colt varieties, but it's the remi for me because they are a lot quicker to reload with pre-loaded cylinders (i.e. Clint Eastwood in Pale Rider).

If period correct isn't a concern, I believe Uberti makes a Colt replica of the peacemaker that is cap and ball model (might not be a peacemaker but looks like it to me). Others may know more about that one.
Old October 6, 2008, 03:22 PM   #3
mykeal

Both Pietta and Uberti make percussion cap and ball 'replicas' of the Colt Peacemaker, or Single Action Army revolver. While they are fine shooting guns they are not, in my opinion, viable options for cowboy action shooting. The reason is that the cylinder must be removed and placed in a cylinder loading stand to load, or one must carry several spare loaded cylinders. The cartridge ejection rod on the gun is functional but incapable of ramming home an oversize round ball.

The 1858 Remington (either .44 cal New Model Army or .36 cal New Model Navy) or the 1860 Colt Army (.44 cal) would be fine choices, in my opinion. One must also give strong consideration to the Colt 1851 Navy in .36 cal as a brace was carried by Wild Bill Hickok.
Old October 6, 2008, 04:55 PM   #4
James Longstreet

Thank you for so many answers of my question. I think the Colt Army 1860 (cal.44) is the best for target shooting.
Old October 6, 2008, 07:16 PM   #5
noelf2

And it's a fine looking gun as well !!!
Old October 6, 2008, 10:42 PM   #6
w_houle

I think the 1851 is also a good choice in .44. Aside from the look, it's about the same as the 1860 and is priced less in most instances.
Old October 6, 2008, 11:54 PM   #7
Fingers McGee

My personal favotites are a pair of 2nd Generation Colt 1861 Navies and a pair of Taylor Uberti 1861 Navies followed closely by a pair of 2nd Generation 1851 Navies and a pair of Navy Arms Frontiersman 1851 Navies w/ 5 inch barrels.

Can you tell I'm partial to .36 cal C&Bs?
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old October 7, 2008, 12:12 AM   #8
Smokin_Gun

I gotta go with 1858 Rems they are the best...The ASP and Euroarms I have are very acurate 5 touchin' 40' dualist style...
I got a couple Santa Barbaras very accurate 6 in the bull first time out of the... new and like new over 20 yrs old.
Need hammer & trigger lightenin'.

But I like Colts too

SG
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old October 7, 2008, 06:14 AM   #9
sundance44s

Smokin ..I see you never split a pair ...wise man ...cuts down on reload time ..
Old October 7, 2008, 10:01 AM   #10
James Longstreet

I think the best replica of the Colt 1860 is the Centaure Belgium New Model Army Colt.
This is a real brother to the orginal Hartfort Colt made in the US.
Old October 8, 2008, 01:45 PM   #11
Smokin_Gun

That's right Sundance never split a pair...Now I'll have to play with 3 of a Kind or 2 pair ifin ya count the Hawes of L.A. Euroarms .36 I have...you and always seem to have goodhands

SG
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old October 17, 2008, 08:37 AM   #12
60's Refugee

Use a good repro Remington New Army .44 and get a couple of extra cylinders. I also use the R&D Cartridge Conversion cylinder with .45 LC. Great shooter! I use the conversion often. I've put 100 rounds through it already this week. You can't do wrong with this Remington design. It's versitile, accurate, easy to maintain, and was historically the best revolver prior to the arrival of cartridges.

Harry
Old October 17, 2008, 06:25 PM   #13
Fingers McGee

Quote:
It's versitile, accurate, easy to maintain, and was historically the best revolver prior to the arrival of cartridges.
And I feel the same way about my 2nd Gen '61 Navies.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old October 18, 2008, 04:32 AM   #14
Bootsie

James Longstreet: if you want to find more info on the Belgian Colt 1860 re-issues made by Fabriques d'Armes Unies de Liège check www.1960nma.org...or send PM.
These Centaures are probably in a class of their own due to their rich history. And if you can get your hands on one of their rare stainless steel 7th variation regular NMAs you will be well armed for any BP match.
Bootsie aka Long Johns Wolf