The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Have you recieved "Command Voice" training?
Yes, Academy 26 42.62%
Yes, Military 19 31.15%
Yes, from mentors 10 16.39%
No 13 21.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 6, 2008, 01:15 PM   #1
armedandsafe

Command voice - LEO

I don't want to hijack the thread on aggressive officers, so I am starting a poll, just because I'm curious.

I'm asking the LEO on this forum, have you recieved training in using "Command Voice?" Those of you who have will recognise what I'm asking and most of those who haven't won't know what in the world I'm talking about.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old April 6, 2008, 01:17 PM   #2
pax

Not a LEO, but I got training in using a "command voice" during the very first defensive firearms class I ever took, from Marty Hayes at the Firearms Academy of Seattle.

Good and necessary stuff. (But most parents already know it ... )

pax
Old April 6, 2008, 02:58 PM   #3
bestbod85

yes, during Corrections officer training
Old April 7, 2008, 11:08 AM   #4
Whirlwind06

Yes, learned it while raising 2 kids
Old April 7, 2008, 11:57 AM   #5
ZeSpectre

SIR! PLEASE STEP BACK FROM THE KEYBOARD <grin>.
In other words, yes.

I'm long out of any LE related work but someone surprised me a while back and I automatically responded w/command voice. My wife laughed later but the homeless guy backed right off
Old April 7, 2008, 12:57 PM   #6
TwoXForr

Not any formal training, just kinda developed naturally over the career.
All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream.
Old April 7, 2008, 03:01 PM   #7
grymster2007

Quote:
"Command Voice" training
Is that were they teach the officer to repeat the same command over and over and over and over?

When I think about it, kinda makes sense, but if I'm watching something like Cops, it wears on me a bit. Well... it wore on me a bit... don't much watch that type of show anymore, even though I did enjoy seeing lowlifes getting arrested.
Old April 7, 2008, 03:35 PM   #8
Creature

Perfected mine in the Military.
Old April 7, 2008, 10:03 PM   #9
38SnubFan

Not directly LEO here, but I got my training from those who currently work or have retired from the field, as my part-time job (Bail Enforcement) requires me to use the same/similar techniques when apprehending a defendant.

I have to admit, it was uncomfortable for me to use the skills I learned (I've never been a very confrontational person). Nowadays, it becomes a second nature. (Have 2 young boys to raise too, so it becomes rather commonplace LOL).

-38SnubFan

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -A token of appreciation for the good cops.

"Good cheer and steady aim are always fashionable."

"Will...if need be!"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΑΛΒΕ!
Old April 7, 2008, 10:19 PM   #10
Sarge

I checked 'academy' circa 1980.

It is a tool to be used sparingly.
Old April 7, 2008, 10:49 PM   #11
jfrey123

Edit: Oops, just noticed the LEO requirement listed above. Please discount my vote...

Voted academy. Did 4 years of JROTC in high school, and had plans to go career military with it. Learned command voice my freshman year when I was made a squad leader and assistant drill team commander.

A booming, authoritative voice is fun in certain situations...

Last edited by jfrey123; April 7, 2008 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Oopsie added.
Old April 8, 2008, 08:48 PM   #12
armedandsafe

Jfrey, the reason I put the LEO requirement in there for the vote was to tie it to the previous thread on overly aggresive attitudes on the part of CHP officers. I was just curious.

I'm enjoying the comparison to raising kids. I just retired from herding kids (school bus driver. )

Pops

Old April 11, 2008, 12:04 PM   #13
ChewToy

This is one of the hardest things to teach Security Forces newbies in the Air Force. Most of the time we're working with 18-20 Y/O's, it's one of the toughest things to get them to do properly. It's definitely an important skill as the balance of calm and chaos rests on the partrolman being in charge and giving that impression from the begining.
Old April 11, 2008, 12:09 PM   #14
scorpiusdeus

Quote:
Yes, learned it while raising 2 kids
Best reply yet.
Old April 11, 2008, 07:51 PM   #15
Aquanewt

We were told about it in basic academy training and then it came up again during in service classes. Anyone with street time learned how effective a good one was and how useless a poor one was.
Old April 13, 2008, 01:43 AM   #16
T. O'Heir

Nope, but I taught it to NCO candidates/trainees while in the Queen's Service. The 'voice' is about getting people to do what you want by being confident in yourself and being the one who will make a decision. Most people can't or don't want to make a decision and will do what the decision maker tells them to do. It's actually part of 'Leadership 101'.
"...Please discount my vote..." This isn't a democracy!
Old April 13, 2008, 04:44 AM   #17
chrisandclauida2

your body language and voice i.e. verbal commands are the first steps on the continuum of force.
Old April 13, 2008, 08:53 AM   #18
gordo_gun_guy

Not an LEO, but I've been trained on "command voice" in the military--originally, in the context of military drill and basic officership, but also (as the counterinsurgency goes on) in a more LE-like escalation of force context, too....

Kids: I don't often raise my voice with my children, preferring first reasoning/golden rule (you wouldn't you like it if your brother hit you in the head, would you?), then expressed disappointment, and finally a good shaming/quiet chewing out....BUT, the few times I've used the command voice, they've invariably started crying.
Old April 13, 2008, 09:08 AM   #19
pax

Quote:
Kids: I don't often raise my voice with my children...
Well, you can't, or it loses effectiveness.

To me, the voice isn't for situations where reasoning might do what needs to be done. I've always used it simply to STOP the action when nothing else will effectively and immediately do the job, such as when a 3-year-old just starts to dart away in a busy parking lot when there's a car coming. When the kid hears that tone of voice, he knows it's important and he knows he'd better stop Right Now. More to the point, done right, a good command voice does make everyone stop in shock for a moment whether they're the ones being addressed or not.

I figure a good cop probably uses the voice analogously to the above: not too often, rarely or never where reason or another method will work, and mostly to quickly and effectively stop the action when nothing else will do the job.

My .02!

pax
Old April 13, 2008, 04:17 PM   #20
armedandsafe

Quote:
My .02!
I think you misplaced the decimal point to the left in that comment.

Pops

Old April 13, 2008, 11:12 PM   #21
Timbow

That's all they preached in drill in the academy. It doesn't take long to figure out when you need to use it and when you don't. It's always best to start out at as low a level as possible then escalate as necessary based on the situation. Of course if the subject is armed and the situation is deadly force, the continuum is lost and you do what you gotta do to survive and protect the public.
Old April 22, 2008, 12:01 AM   #22
tc556guy

Yeah, its pretty much drummed into you during your initial officer survival training that you MUST control any situation you get involved in. Command voice is the first step in the use of force wheel.
Old April 22, 2008, 05:56 AM   #23
Tanzer

Not LEO. Trained in crisis intervention as part of the CPI (Crisis Prevention/Intervention) unit @ a shcool (just kidding) school for "at risk" (insert descriptive language here). Later went into elementary (and managed to see CPI implemented - really needed it here). Meanwhile trained w/ and ex FBI supervisory trainer who also worked w/ the local AG's office.
Kinda' Remember my drill seargent also; "Alright you weak little maggots! Yer gonna be runnin a bit faster today! You aint disgracing me, your momma or your country by fallin behind! Any o' yew larvae got any questions?
Old April 23, 2008, 05:18 PM   #24
djc7

Yes. I got that training in the Air Force (Security Forces). Plus, I observe it occasionally from my wife when I upset her.
Old April 25, 2008, 10:20 AM   #25
johnnypi45

I have learned it in the Air Force. I'm normally an extremely passive person, and let me tell you, this really put me out of my "comfort zone" but probably for the better. Working basic training and similar situations, really made me come out of my shell some. I even find myself talking louder in my normal voice than I used to.