The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 23, 2013, 11:28 PM   #1
TemboTusk

ASM vs Uberti or Pietta parts

I have an odd question. I want to get a spare hammer for my ASM 3rd Colt Dragoon. Finding an ASM hammer is not easy. Will a Pietta or Uberti hammer fit? Now I figure there might be some fitting involved, but, is it doable? Is it like a golden lab vs. a black lab or more like a pit bull and pug?

The reason for the question: I recently did a cylinder conversion job on the Dragoon and filed the hand a bit too much. It works OK, but I can feel it is a bit short. I bought a readily available Uberti hand (which is a work of art compared to the ASM hand!). The Uberti hand will work if I drill out the ASM hammer. Because of the difficulty in getting any ASM parts, I am reluctant to mess any further with ASM hammer or hand. Hence the question about getting a Pietta or Uberti hammer.

Thanks!
Old November 24, 2013, 12:05 AM   #2
Hawg

Pietta never made a Dragoon.
Old November 24, 2013, 12:33 AM   #3
TemboTusk

Thanks Hawg! That eliminates one manufacture!

I guess a better question might be: Does anybody have both an ASM and Uberti 3rd model Dragoons who could check if the hammers interchange?
Old November 24, 2013, 12:49 PM   #4
North East Redneck

If you haven't checked with them yet, try VTI Gun Parts.
www.vtigunparts.com/ or 8604358068
They have a listing that says- ASM Hammer (3rd, texas dragoon).
The price is $35. You will have to call them or use their check stock feature on the web site as they do not list stock amounts. Hope this helps.
Old November 24, 2013, 01:29 PM   #5
TemboTusk

VTI is a great resource, but very limited on ASM parts. I will check with them on parts for the Dragoon. You never know!!

However if someone can verify that a Uberti Dragoon hammer works in a ASM Dragoon that would be great. That would make sourcing other parts easier.