The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 1, 2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Viper99

I live in CT but can't buy 10 round mags from Midway?

Hello all fellow posters,
I am obviously missing something because I thought that I could buy magazines as long as they were 10 rounders? Can some of you clarify this for me?

Regards and Thank You for your valuable responses.
Old October 1, 2013, 06:21 PM   #2
Revoltella

They probably find it easier to just not do any business in that state. Do you have any friends/ relatives in another state that can forward shipments to you?
Old October 1, 2013, 06:40 PM   #3
Armed_Chicagoan

I had the same issue with Bud's and 12 round magazines because I live in Chicago.

Try another vendor, Lanbo's Armory worked for me. No, I don't work for them or have any affiliation besides being a satisfied customer.
Old October 4, 2013, 03:25 PM   #4
RussB

Greg Cote LLC will not sell mags to CT residents as well.

I think you need to send Midway a copy of your permit in order to buy from them
Old October 5, 2013, 10:33 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Did Midway refuse you, or did they refuse to sell/ship to CT?

many companies have suspended sales to places where the laws are restrictive, and often confusing. Often today, if a company cannot profitably ensure compliance with the law, they will balance the segment of their profit from these locations against the potential costs, and simply no longer sell to those areas.

Sucks to be the little guys in this, but what can one do? They passed laws we didn't want, and we have to live with the intended, and unintended consequences.

Be sure to thank your politicians for the fine job they have done, in the appropriate manner.
Old October 5, 2013, 11:25 AM   #6
RussB

In my case, Midway sent several emails asking me to send a copy of my permit so they could continue to sell me ammo and mags.

Here in CT you now need a permit to buy magazines (10 round MAX) and ammo

Here's the crap we have to deal with here...makes me sick to my stomach,

http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?a=4213&q=494616
Old October 5, 2013, 12:22 PM   #7
North East Redneck

Many companies will not ship to MA either. I don't blame them. I checked out the link to CT gun laws. You guys are worse off in some ways than we are. But better off in others.

Old October 5, 2013, 02:45 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I just spoke with a friend who is an FFL in Connecticut. He reminded me that October 1 was the date that Connecticut's new requirement for a permit to buy ammo kicked in ... and that the same law also now makes it a requirement to have a permit to purchase magazines. Connecticut's new certificate of eligibility to buy ammunition (or whatever they call it) covers both ammo and magazines. The long gun certificate of eligibility (again, or whatever they call it) works for rifles, shotguns, ammo and magazines. And a handgun carry permit works for everything.

My guess is that a lot of Internet vendors just don't want to deal with creating a system to check and record permits to sell ammo or magazines, so they'll simply stop selling to Connecticut residents.