The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 14, 2010, 08:10 AM   #1

Hunt and fish combo trip

I went fishing yesterday and got to talking with my buds about hunt/fish combo trips. One guy was absolutely in love with the idea and my other pal said no way. He was not going to waste hunting time casting a rod. I said, what if you limit out of your hunt early and have nothing to do but fish? I am wondering what everyone else thinks. Where would you go if you could do a combo trip? I personally would love to do a caribou/brook trout trip in Quebec. Are there combo opportunities in the American Northwest or West? Maybe elk/salmon? Let's hear from you if you've done it.

By the way, here's a pic of one of the bluegills we caught yesterday. Between the three of us we caught 63 gillies and 8 crappie. all the gills were in the 9"-10" range.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HOG GILL.jpg (262.5 KB, 80 views)

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old June 14, 2010, 10:01 AM   #2
sc928porsche

For many many years, I hunted the sierras and always took my rod with me. I would hunt in the morning, come to camp about 11 am, have breakfast, go fishing untill about 3pm, and hunt in the evening. There were times that I had 4 weeks off for vacation and I would spend it doing as I just described.

I dont look at hunting as a go out and bag your game and come home thing. For me, it is a chance to get out in the outdoors and view all the wonderful sights and enjoy the camping experience. Dont get me wrong, I am not going to go "hikeing" of drag a camera through the woods. I enjoy the stalk and the sit and of course the meat from the game. You could never pay me enough to work that hard for anyone as I do when hunting. Going up and down those ridges and rocks, through thick patches of manzinita, sometimes forrest floor so thick that you legs sink halfway up to your knees in limbs and brush just so I canget access to an outcropping where I can veiw openings in the terrain and see where the game crosses. Some of the views from them are spectacular.

I guess that I am fortunate because I always returned home with game and ate trout up there with a few left over for the freezer.
Old June 14, 2010, 11:14 AM   #3
kraigwy

I dern near always combine my hunting and fishing trips. I hunt elk in the Big Horns, there are a lot of mountain streams that are just begging for someone to dip a fly.

I normally hunt evenings and mornings and fly fish during mid day. That is if I have time after helping my Granddaughter with her Snow Men.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Last edited by kraigwy; June 14, 2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old June 14, 2010, 12:06 PM   #4
Daryl

Here in Arizona, if there's a stream or lake near where I'm hunting, then I always stick a rod and some tackle in.

Hunting takes first priority, of course, but I seldom don't find time to fish.

When it comes right down to it, it doesn't take long to gather up a nice mess of fish for dinner.

Daryl
Old June 14, 2010, 06:46 PM   #5
fisherman66

I can go in any direction here and fall in a lake. If I were to limit out hunting it would be nice to have a little R&R fishing, but that's not a deal maker/breaker.

Really nice Bluegill BTW. Those of that size are hard to come by. Not bad eatin' either.
Old June 14, 2010, 07:14 PM   #6
crghss

Spring Turkey

During spring turkey season you can only hunt till 1 pm in PA. So after that I have 3 or 4 hours to catch dinner.

Fly fishing on the Pine creek.....

Brother did a fly in hunting in eastern Canada.....after you filled your tag you spent the rest of the time fishing.

If I am ever fortunate enough to do an Elk trip out west I'd HAVE to take fly rod and use it, just have to.

So to me fishing and hunting are like peas and carrots, it just goes together.

Last edited by crghss; June 14, 2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old June 15, 2010, 05:51 PM   #7
James R. Burke

Nice fishing my wife likes to go more than me, and I like to go alot. Doing a combo would be a hard one two answer. I guess the money factor would come in there at some point.
Old June 24, 2010, 10:53 PM   #8
ACP230

I sometimes combine grouse hunting and trout fishing.
The grouse season starts September 15 here and the general trout season lasts till September 30.

After wandering around looking for grouse it's sometimes a nice change to stand in one spot and fish for brook trout for a while.
Old June 29, 2010, 05:55 PM   #9
David_S

Why not?

Old June 29, 2010, 07:44 PM   #10
Dave R

I have always wanted to do a combination steelhead/Chukar trip in Hells Canyon, on the Idaho/ Oregon border.

Maybe this year...
Old June 29, 2010, 11:04 PM   #11
grubbylabs

I would go to Alaska and go for bear, or moose and hopefully some deep sea fishing you know just for the halibut.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old June 30, 2010, 04:27 AM   #12
phil mcwilliam

My usual hunting area is my mates 2,000 acre cattle property that has 5 miles of river running along one border. I tend to hunt & fish most days Im there.I always keep the rifle handy when I fish & there has been plenty of times over the years when Ive been fishing & had game come down to water.
Ive had many memorable hunting/fishing trips including several up to the topend of Australia pig/buffalo/brumby hunting with Barramundi fishing thrown in.
Ive been over to the South Island of New Zealand(Fiordland) hunting red deer & trout fishing a couple of times - the most amazing scenery in the world.
I did a trip to Africa a couple of years ago plains game hunting, & went down to Capetown & chartered a boat for the day tuna fishing & lobster catching.
As a matter of fact, if Im not away hunting on a weekend, Im usually out on the game fishing boat that I own with a couple of mates chasing marlin & tuna.
You could say I like my hunting/fishing & even better if you can combine in one trip.