The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 21, 2002, 12:41 AM   #1
BudS

Shotgun barrel porting at home?

I have a Winchester 1300 Defender; how easy would it be for me to port the barrel myself? Or would it be better if I let a smith do it? I'm trying to be frugal, have several mouths to feed- thanks!
Old November 21, 2002, 12:51 AM   #2
Dfariswheel

I've heard of this being done, but no reports on how well it worked.

The method I've heard involved drilling a series of holes in a pattern near the muzzle, then using a polishing head to remove the burrs pushed into the bore when the drill breaks through.

An expediant polishing head can be made by cutting a slit about 2-3 inches long into the end of a 1/2" or so wooden dowl.
Insert the end of a strip of fine grit sandpaper into the slit, then wrap it around the end of the dowl.

You can chuck it into a drill, or even use it by hand.
Old November 21, 2002, 07:17 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

There is an AGI book that Brownells sells called Gunsmithing The Shotgun that has a step by step chapter on this in it. Pretty close to the method I use in my shop. I port a lot of O/Us and don't exactly use their method for that. Single barrels are much easier however and I would expect their way to work fine. George