The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 18, 2011, 06:53 PM   #1
Lopsang8

Wear and tear on rounds

Sorry if this is in the wrong area. Nothing else seemed a fit either. About 2 months ago i purchased my first gun, Sig p226 .40. Since then i have found myself at the range about once a week. Everytime i go to the range i empty my magizine and load up to shoot with cheap rounds. I currently have been emptying and reloading the same 22 Golden saber hollow point rounds, i shot 3 to see how the shot, for the past 8 weeks for personal defense when not at the range. Is there any kind of wear and tear to bullets? Should I get separate magazines for not at the range? Or any other suggestions

Thanks
Old April 18, 2011, 06:55 PM   #2
9mm

Quote:
Should I get separate magazines for not at the range
Yes, I have one range magazine and 3 carry magazines. For now.
Old April 18, 2011, 06:59 PM   #3
ang4me

The other option is to practice with your carry ammo.
Old April 18, 2011, 07:24 PM   #4
Daryl

It's handier to have an extra mag or three, but you won't damage the cartridges in removing and re-inserting them from and into the magazine by hand.

I wouldn't cycle them through the action, though, and watch for bullet set-back if you consistently re-chamber the same cartridge.

Relax, and enjoy shooting. There were no internet experts, nor personal trainers when I started shooting, and I survived. I just learned by doing.

Daryl
Old April 18, 2011, 10:20 PM   #5
TailGator

Daryl expressed my concern. When the same round is re-chambered several times, the action drives the bullet back in the case - that is what is called setback. If severe, it can result in increased pressures that can damage the gun. You can, of course, just rotate the top cartridge to the bottom of the mag after two or three chamberings and minimize the risk. That is what a lot of people do. If you carry chambered, it really doesn't matter how many magazines you have, you are going to hammer that top cartridge if you re-chamber it time after time after time.
Old April 18, 2011, 10:27 PM   #6
pelo801

i was going to say what tailgator and daryl already said. that would be my biggest concern. in my reloading stuff, it gives an extra special warning to be careful with bullet seating depth for the .40.
Old April 18, 2011, 10:39 PM   #7
Onward Allusion

Quote:
Lopsang8
Wear and tear on rounds
Sorry if this is in the wrong area. Nothing else seemed a fit either. About 2 months ago i purchased my first gun, Sig p226 .40. Since then i have found myself at the range about once a week. Everytime i go to the range i empty my magizine and load up to shoot with cheap rounds. I currently have been emptying and reloading the same 22 Golden saber hollow point rounds, i shot 3 to see how the shot, for the past 8 weeks for personal defense when not at the range. Is there any kind of wear and tear to bullets? Should I get separate magazines for not at the range? Or any other suggestions
Yes, you need more magazines BUT you should practice with your carry magazines as your P226 is not just a range gun. You should also practice a few mags each time with the carry rounds. Yes, expensive but good to do.

With regard to "wear & tear" on the same cartridges - yes, you could be exposing cartridges to bullet setback. This happens with multiple chamberings of the same cartridge. The bullet can get seated deeper in the case which causes higher pressures. Keep in mind though, you're probably not re-chambering the same cartridge with 22 to go through.

Tags
ammo , magazines , wear and tear