The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 30, 2006, 06:19 PM   #1
Lieut96

earthen dam for firing range

I asked this on another forum and did not really get any response. Though perhaps someone here would know. I own approximately half of a 2 1/2 acre pond. The line pass though the center of the pond through the earthen dam. From the back the dam is about 10 ft high and at the top measures four feet wide. I am thinking about making a range on my side at the back
with the dam as a berm. I would only be using pistol, 9mm, 40, 357 sig. This would only be for personal use. My neighbor expressed concern that over time
this could compromise the integrity of the dam resulting in failure.
Does anyone really think it could cause this kind of damage? The pond is around sixty years old and was here prior to either of us purchasing our property.

Last edited by Lieut96; May 30, 2006 at 06:52 PM.
Old May 30, 2006, 06:33 PM   #2
Phil Ca

If you were to construct a berm on your side so that the impact of fired rounds do not touch the face of the dam that might suffice. you would not want any bullets or shot to fall in the water either.

Would anybody be likely to fish or go boating or swimming in this pond during your range time? that would be a big safety factor IMO.

I am not a Dam Engineer or Hydraulic Engineer, nor do I play one on TV!
Old May 30, 2006, 06:35 PM   #3
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

I have no sources to back this up, but I doubt it would be a problem. The range our PD uses is earthen, and has been in use for decades for both pistol and full auto .223 fire with no problems, The depth of earth disturbed can only be measured in inches.

I would watch for small ravines starting though, especially after a lot of rainfall, but that's easily remedied by filling them.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old May 30, 2006, 06:51 PM   #4
Lieut96

Would anybody be likely to fish or go boating or swimming in this pond during your range time? that would be a big safety factor IMO.

Should not be anyone unless tresspassing. My neighbor never uses the pond. The pond is private property. I would be firing from the backside into earthen dam which is 10 ft high and approximately 35 yards in length. More than ample for one lane.
Old May 30, 2006, 06:54 PM   #5
dan20703

Berm Dimensions?

I work in the construction business and have designed earthen berms for retention ponds and lagoons. Typically the slopes are at least a 4:1 ratio. Assume your shots would strike the berm at the 3-6 foot height on the side. At its thinnest point (6 foot high strike on the dam) the berm is 36 feet wide. The best ammo doesn't go more than 1 foot into soil in most cases. No problem with weakening the dam with gun.

What you do have to worry about is trashing the vegetative cover which keeps the erosion to a minimum. Make sure you keep the grass healthy by either moving to different areas on the berm every so often as needed to allow recovery or adding extra soil, fertilizer and grass seed. Simple maintenance should do the trick. Invite your neighbor over to shoot and show him what you are doing to keep the berm stable. You might gain a shooting buddy.

Good luck,

Dan

"The gun is not the answer to all of your personal protection problems, but when you need a gun, you really need a gun."
Old May 30, 2006, 07:05 PM   #6
Lieut96

Thanks Dan

This is exactly what I needed. Thanks a bunch.
Old June 18, 2006, 08:14 PM   #7
U.S.SFC_RET

Lootenant Sir If you think that you are about to destroy the dam just simply place some dirt over it Sir.
4. Know the target and what's beyond it.