The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 23, 2006, 01:40 PM   #1
Derius_T

Learning to shoot with off hand

Any tips about learning to shoot with off hand? I'm one of those people who have trouble doing ANYTHING of hand. I recently broke several fingers on my shootin hand is why I ask....
Old May 23, 2006, 02:46 PM   #2
timothy75

To shoot well with your weak hand I've found that shooting sideways with your back straight almost arched helps alot. Also if your right eye dominant turn your head so your eye is in line with the rear sight. I've also found shooting with your thumb forward and pushing into the frame helps stabilize your grip. These arent really fighting techniques but will help you hit while your hand heals. For defense I recomend the stress point index and a semi automatic. Good luck
Old May 23, 2006, 03:24 PM   #3
stephen426

You could always cheat and get a laser. I just ordered an LaserMax for my Glock 26. I occasionally practice off hand and it isn't pretty. I hope the laser helps.
Old May 23, 2006, 03:44 PM   #4
atlctyslkr

Try doing something non shooting related to build the strength in your off hand. I play alot of tennis and am left handed. I started playing raquet ball and found that the different movements required for a different sport interfered with each other (I was applying tennis technique to raquetball). So I play raquetball right handed only. I'm not as good shooting right handed but I can put lead on target.
Old May 23, 2006, 03:48 PM   #5
stephen426

My problem is that the dexterity difference between my left and right hands are so different that I can't even pick my nose off-handed. Just kidding. atlctyslkr has the right idea. I guess certain things are trainable. Playing piano is one such thing since it would be pretty hard to play both treble and bass cleffs with just one hand. I'm sure most of us type with both hands as well.
Old May 23, 2006, 09:25 PM   #6
Hayley

"Try doing something non shooting related to build the strength in your off hand."

Also, if you have a simple ambi bow, shooting from the off side really helps with the visual part.
Old May 23, 2006, 09:47 PM   #7
Maser

Best way I can think of to learn is practice, practice, practice. The more often you shoot, the better you'll shoot.
Old May 23, 2006, 11:03 PM   #8
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

I'm left handed.

Growing up in the 50's and 60's, it was a right handed world. The only thing I can't do right handed is to write and throw balls. I bat right handed. I was taught to shoot right handed. I am right eye dominant...

But after I got out of the Marine Corps, I slowly learned to shoot left handed (rifles only). When I finally broke down and got some handguns, I started shooting with both hands. I figured, what the heck! No use in trying to learn by using just one hand...

It simply takes practice. Shoot a few sets right handed, then switch. After a while, it will become natural. The benefits are of course, real. You never know how a situation will come about that might preclude your shooting with your dominant hand.
Old May 24, 2006, 09:03 PM   #9
Harley Quinn

Maser is right on IMHO

The more you shoot with your off hand being right or left the better you will get. Do some gripping exercises it will help.

I like to punch a speed bag both left and right handed, strong side forward approach with the left side forward and then the right side forward, helps get the left side to doing what the right does or the the other way around.

I find that if you shoot with only one hand and not the two hand hold you will be able to come around faster. Then practice the two hand hold both ways.

This take practice either live or dry. does not matter.
Stand in front of a mirror and draw the gun up with either hand and point. Do it one side then the other. Hundreds of times.

They talk about training in martial arts and doing the move one thousand times, then it will be in your memory bank for a long time.

Practice. Simple.

HQ
Old May 25, 2006, 01:07 AM   #10
newworldCurmudgeon

Practice is the way

I actually shoot bette groups offhand with a rifle. I practice handgun and rifle every time I shoot (which has not been much lately) My eyesight is cross dominant also.

1. handgun I shoot 1 handed off hand, works better for me, I have not perfected a two handed grip. Also I figure if I am shooting lefty, there is a reason my right hand is not available.

2. rifle I shoot regular off hand, I group better, but it takes longer for me to reaquire the target or transition to another target. I practiced rifle one handed also, and can do it, but not that well.

NWC
Old May 25, 2006, 08:45 AM   #11
jcoiii

One tip that helped me when learning to shoot off-handed (one-handed btw) is to cant the gun just a tad. Not to the absurdity of "gangsta'-style" but just a touch. It helped me take the recoil better and return to sight picture more quickly. ymmv.

I do not aim with my hand.......
Old May 25, 2006, 09:33 AM   #12
Raytracer

I was taught that when shooting one handed, canting the pistol about 10-15° towards the center of the body causes the bones in the wrist and forarm to align, providing a more stable shooting platform and quicker recovery.

Joe
Old May 25, 2006, 11:45 AM   #13
Kermit

A few summers ago, I hurt my strong hand & didn't shoot for along time. THen, I just got fed up and went shooting anyway. The first thing I learned was patience, take things slow and practice, practice, practice. Also, if you have a workout regiment, stress your weak side a little to build up muscle on that side. You are now building muscle memory on a side that really has none to speak of It's a slow process but it'll come and when your strong side heals and back to normal, you'll be a better shooter for it!
Old May 25, 2006, 11:51 AM   #14
Mikeyboy

Everyone should at least try to learn how to shoot their weapon one handed with their weak hand. I always end my pistol range time shooting one handed right (I'm right handed) then left. I am not great left handed but at least I can get most of the round in the 8 ring at 5 yards and that is good enough in most close range SD situations. You never know, your dominate arm could easily be knocked out of commision during a gun fight or an assault. It good to a least try it once to get the feel of it, so your not trying it for the first time in a SD situation.