The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 27, 2018, 11:01 AM   #51
Don P

Quote:
In your example, it seems the debate would be more about knowledge vs. ignorance of the law(s), rather than good guy with gun vs. bad guy with gun.

Kind of a non sequitor, in my opinion
I would have to disagree, Good guy with a gun (waiting to check out at the register) Bad guy with a gun (seen entering the store with gun in hand).
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 27, 2018, 02:02 PM   #52
OldMarksman
Staff

In the Walmart case, the armed good guy decided to intervene, did so without noticing the tail gunner, and got killed.

It appears to me from the video that he had had a choice, and might have been able to stay out of trouble altogether.

He had entered the store first, and the perps came in later.

In my case, I decided to intervene if necessary. In my judgment at the time, I did not have a safe alternative, due to my location, that of tthe robber inside, and that of his accomplice outside..

I had scanned the store for a tail gunner, not that my not having noticed one was definitive.

Fourtunately,ntervention became unnecessary.

One of the bad guys was already in the store when I entered. I went into the store in spite of having seen things that should have caused me to not enter.
Old March 1, 2018, 06:50 AM   #53
Unconventional

Don P, I didn't assume your description of "both carrying guns openly" as being "illegally". Up to the point of people pointing guns at eachother and shooting over what appears to be an assumption of illegality by your "good guy", I'm not sure if anyone was breaking any laws.

Which means your "good guy" may have been the first criminal in this story, as I'm not sure what laws, if any, the boyfriend/girlfriend were breaking.
Old March 1, 2018, 08:59 AM   #54
Don P

Quote:
Which means your "good guy" may have been the first criminal in this story, as I'm not sure what laws, if any, the boyfriend/girlfriend were breaking.
The perps open carry was breaking the law. As stated the good guy should have minded his own business as we all know there is no second place winner in a gun fight as well as no first place winner other than surviving. In all instruction I have received avoidance is best when able to do so safely.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.