The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old June 3, 2016, 07:33 PM   #1
pawneefork

Domestic Use of (Unmarked) Military?

I posted here because the context in which I ask the question is one of civil rights, and 2A protection.

I've been seeing military convoys pass through my sleepy little mountain town in Oregon and I chatted up a soldier in fatigues at a convenience store. No name patch, no insignia, no sign of rank. Just a flag patch on camos. Is this the new normal for our GIs, or are these guys our GIs?
Old June 3, 2016, 07:43 PM   #2
Reloader54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawneefork View Post
I posted here because the context in which I ask the question is one of civil rights, and 2A protection.

I've been seeing military convoys pass through my sleepy little mountain town in Oregon and I chatted up a soldier in fatigues at a convenience store. No name patch, no insignia, no sign of rank. Just a flag patch on camos. Is this the new normal for our GIs, or are these guys our GIs?
I've seen reports that Obama is planning on having the UN on our soil to maybe try to use them for going around and trying to help enforce the UN Small Arms Trade Treaty which is suppose to go into effect some time in the next few months. And he's planning on putting it in to effect even though the Senate hasn't RATIFIED it yet. And therefore it cannot by law go into effect in the country. But Obama doesn't care. But these are only reports that I've seen without any real verification on it. But I would not put it past Obama to try it.
Old June 3, 2016, 07:55 PM   #3
gyvel

Quote:
Just a flag patch on camos.
What flag?
SIFE
Old June 3, 2016, 08:02 PM   #4
rwilson452

I seem to recall the question of using the Military to collect all civilian arms has been put to the military before. If I recall correctly, Senior and junior officers said they would have no choice to obey the order. Junior enlisted the same. Middle ranked officers and senior enlisted said that any such order would be an illegal order and would not be obeyed. Some senior enlisted had some rather strong words about such an order and those that would give such an order.

In My time in the military as a Senior NCO. I had several occasions where I was instructed as to what is and isn't a lawful order. and what the consequences were for following and unlawful order and not following a lawful order. So you need to be very sure of your choice.

I suppose I should add this was decades ago.

Last edited by rwilson452; June 3, 2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old June 3, 2016, 08:05 PM   #5
dahermit

Quote:
I've seen reports that Obama is planning on having the UN on our soil to maybe try to use them for going around and trying to help enforce the UN Small Arms Trade Treaty...
What is the difference between a "report" and an "unfounded rumor"?
Old June 3, 2016, 08:17 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Off-topic for this website.

Speculation about what-if in politics isn't a legal issue about firearms, much less about firearms as firearms.
Closed Thread