The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 5, 2018, 06:23 AM   #1
moosemike

Is a new Taurus model 85 worth buying?

My LGS put their new Taurus 85's in .38 Spl on sale for $250. Really an attractive price on a good lucking gun. I've heard a lot of bad about Taurus revolvers though and am leery. Should I be?
Old March 5, 2018, 06:42 AM   #2
JoeSixpack

I picked up one last year during their rebate, got the stainless model for about 160AR
I like it.. Nice little snubbie 38.

It's probably worth the 250 but you might look at S&W I think I seen some J-frames going for 300-320ish recently.

I would not buy the black model.. older ones use to be a nice polished blue, but they've switched to this matte black finish that looks like crap and I hear is not very durable.

They've been making the 85 for a really long time.
Old March 5, 2018, 07:53 AM   #3
smee78

A few years ago Taurus tried to update their image, did some cosmetic changes to some of their guns and from what I heard was trying to up their quality control. With that being said I bought a used black 85 from a friend who could not shoot it verry well due to his vision problems, I haven't shot it yet but it function checks good so far, we will see come range time if this gun is better than the others I had. I'm not a big fan of Taurus firearms due to having to use their warranty on all 4 of their guns I use to own but I guess we will see. If I had my rathers I would lean towards a S&W or Ruger. Good luck with your decision.
Old March 5, 2018, 09:44 AM   #4
USMCGrunt

I bought a Taurus 85CH several years ago but seldom use it. I took it out the other day shooting with the fiancé and remembered why. It spits lead out the side of the forcing cone since it's lockup leaves something to be desired. Oh well, that'll learn me for not buying a Smith, or a Ruger or even a Colt. It does have a date with a trade-in on a Smith and Wesson 642 one of these days though.
Old March 5, 2018, 09:56 AM   #5
tallball

I have owned two over the years, and they've both been very good.
Old March 5, 2018, 10:01 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Transfer bars tend to break. Taurus is aware of it but won't change metallurgy or any heat treating process. I rather buy Ruger or S&W.
Old March 5, 2018, 04:02 PM   #7
gwpercle

I purchased a Taurus 455 , 45 acp revolver in 2004....nothing but good things to say about it. I own several 1911's and the Taurus revolver is the most accurate .
2 inch ported barrel and 5 shot cylinder makes for a powerhouse small package snub nosed revolver. Wished I had bought two now.
Don't believe all the bad mouthing you hear about Taurus.
Gary
Old March 5, 2018, 05:32 PM   #8
Capt Rick Hiott

As most of us know,,,,Taurus is very hit or miss when it comes to a good gun.....

I would never buy a Taurus Semi-auto......But love my Taurus Raging Bull .454
Old March 5, 2018, 05:35 PM   #9
BigJimP

I think their track record is pretty spotty .... I'd be very suspicious of them.

( sometimes, in fact often, you get what you pay for ). Rather than go that route, I'd look for some good used S&W's in .38 spl if that's what you want / although personally I prefer a revolver chambered in .357 Mag...so I have the option to shoot .38 spl or .357 Mag in it.
Old March 5, 2018, 08:15 PM   #10
desertsmith

Taurus bad deal

I bought a model 85 stainless steel 38 special in November and took it to the range in December. I shot it 5 times using 130gr Winchester standard pressure ammo. On the 5th shot the barrel flew off. With the Taurus you pay your money and take your chances. The gun was sent in on Dec 18th and not back yet. Just my experience.
Old March 5, 2018, 08:21 PM   #11
turkeestalker

Hope you took a picture of that desertsmith, I would love to see what the result was if you are able to share it.
Old March 5, 2018, 08:40 PM   #12
desertsmith

picture

I didn't think to take a picture. The range I was at was where I bought it. They took info and boxed for shipment.
Old March 5, 2018, 09:19 PM   #13
JoeSixpack

wow, I'd love to have seen the aftermath.. any idea what happen? I'd say out of timing but if it was off by that much I wouldn't think the primer would be inline to ignite.. and minor alignment problems are the job of the force cone..

did the barrel just sheer off at the threads? mfg defect?
Old March 6, 2018, 06:13 AM   #14
moosemike

Quote:
On the 5th shot the barrel flew off.
Old March 6, 2018, 09:01 AM   #15
arquebus357

That happens to me all the time...
Old March 6, 2018, 09:11 AM   #16
desertsmith

They had to shut the range down to go the bullet get the barrel out of the bullet stopping material. The barrel was cracked down close to where it screwed in. I believe it was in the torqueing. The store manager said he thought I would get a new gun. I will probably trade for a smith with what ever I get back. Mine by the way was not a light weight.
Old March 6, 2018, 11:06 AM   #17
pete2

If you get one that works. 50 or 60 bucks more will get you a S&W.
Old March 6, 2018, 06:17 PM   #18
Buckeye!

I have had a few 85's and 605's. .. All worked well .. better trigger out of the box than 642 & 637 ...

I like'em , but..... add a 100.00 bill and get a LCR 38 ... Great little revolver !
Old March 6, 2018, 07:39 PM   #19
4V50 Gary
Staff

BTW, I know some 'smiths who will not touch a Taurus.

As we said in gunsmithing school (at least in my class), "Friends don't let friends buy Taurus." Get a Smith or a Ruger. They'll last longer.
Old March 7, 2018, 07:22 PM   #20
Kreyzhorse

I've owned one. It shot well when it functioned. Unfortunately, it stopped functioning after 250 rounds or so.

For the money, you are much better off with a S&W or a Ruger.
Old March 12, 2018, 03:29 AM   #21
jstert

Is a new Taurus model 85 worth buying?

my first self purchased handgun was a then gently used, stainless steel taurus model 85 purchsed in the mid 1980s for $200. i swapped out the wooden grips for pachmayr. it has been an accurate, easy, reliable shooter with enough heft to absorb recoil nicely. it works well enough that i dont feel the need to shoot it alot to remain comfortable relying on it.

are newer or lighter 85s different in quality? or a rossi clone of a taurus clone of a s&w? i dont know, but im quite happy with my old 85.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old March 12, 2018, 10:59 AM   #22
Johny Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemike View Post
I've heard a lot of bad about Taurus revolvers though and am leery. Should I be?

I've own 4 S&W revolvers, 3 of which where the 642 .38 special and I'm sure the trigger on that Taurus can not be any worst, one was so bad I could not pull the trigger at all with my weak side hand. And if I can't shoot a handgun one handed and from both sides it is of no use to me. And I should not have to spend extra to get a decent trigger.

I've been tempted to go your route or a Charter Arms in the past because that price you show is almost half of a 642. But like you have read to many stories of problems.
Life time warranties mean nothing they are gimmicks. And the stories I read are people sending their guns back not once but multiple times, that gets old and if you only have one to begin with it leaves you then defenseless.

I suppose the answer to your question is or would be it's a hit and a miss with probably more junk than good. But they suck you in by that price and the that gimmick warranty, even S&W is now offering that gimmick, the day I see Ruger doing it I will then know they too have no confidence in their own product.
Old March 12, 2018, 01:37 PM   #23
texagun

A few years ago I was given a Taurus Model 85 when a friend's father died and she found it in his closet. It had the worst trigger of any revolver I had ever shot, inspected, or handled. The SA/DA was terrible and the timing was off so much it occasionally would not lock up. I took it to a gun show and sold it to the 1st guy who made me an offer at the front door. I gave the money to the friend who gave it to me. She was happy and I learned a lesson. I have never been tempted to buy another Taurus.
Old March 12, 2018, 03:53 PM   #24
JERRYS.

Taurus guns have a basically good design. what kills them at times is poor execution (a quality control failure which can happen to anyone just happens to them more often), and the real deal breaker is poor customer service for warranty/repair work.
Old March 12, 2018, 06:55 PM   #25
turkeestalker

I've got an 83 with zero issues, a 431 with zero issues, and one of the 85s suffering from thalidomide syndrome, (the No-View View), again with zero issues.
All are good fit and finish that function flawlessly with very good triggers.

I do have one 608SS purchased used with possible issues that I've replaced the recoil and trigger springs and the transfer bar in.
That one will sometimes skip a chamber when cocked aggressively in SA, but functions correctly in DA.
It will likely take a trip back to Miami some day soon.

I purchased three new Ruger revolvers in a twelve month period recently.
All three had problems for which two were replaced, and one was sidestepped as being the way it was designed.

That has not been the norm for Ruger in my experience, but my luck in the last handful of years of purchasing revolvers, Taurus is kicking Ruger's butt.

If Taurus were as bad as the bias and anonymity of the internet allows them to be proclaimed to be, they would not still be making and selling revolvers.... just sayin.