The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old September 25, 2017, 08:40 AM   #26
Rottweiler

I have a star lubrisizer. Since I got into powder coating there is no lube in it and it identifies its self as a boolit sizer
Old September 25, 2017, 06:02 PM   #27
Beagle333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottweiler View Post
I have a star lubrisizer. Since I got into powder coating there is no lube in it and it identifies its self as a boolit sizer
Wow. That's dedication right there. I love powdercoating but I ain't givin' up my two Stars as lubers.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old September 28, 2017, 09:02 PM   #28
bbqncigars

My Sharps likes its boolits lubed. The same boolit with PC doesn't shoot as well. I can also run 200 boolits through the Star faster than I can make them via PC. Yeah, I also tried just sizing the PC stuff with the Star, but the gun said NO. In this case, size doesn't matter.
Old October 16, 2017, 05:58 AM   #29
BBarn

I've basically stopped casting bullets. I tried different alloys and different diameters in a few different revolvers and got tired of cleaning up the barrel lead. Plus, cheap lead is getting hard to find. So for not much more money I can buy plated bullets and save the mess. I spent a good bit of money on bullet casting equipment and enjoyed casting bullets, but the results I sought eluded me.

Last edited by BBarn; October 16, 2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old October 16, 2017, 09:48 AM   #30
dahermit

Quote:
I spent a good bit of money on bullet casting equipment and enjoyed casting bullets, but the results I sought eluded me.
If you would list the problems you were having and the particulars (loads, guns, lube, etc.), I am sure that those problems could be remedied. There have been cast bullets used successfully in firearms since the invention of gunpowder.
Old October 16, 2017, 10:03 AM   #31
BBarn

I may take you up on that. It will take me some time to put a decent summary together. If I do so, I'll start another thread to keep from derailing this one.
Old November 10, 2017, 09:11 AM   #32
jaysouth

Kind of late on this thread.

I tumble lube anything shot below 1,200 fps in Ben's liquid lube.

For the velocity/pressure ranges of 1,200 to 1,600 fps, I powder coat.

At velocities above that I run heat tempered hard alloy bullets through a Lyman or RCBS lube/sizer with MML+.

I am experimenting with Hi-Tec, but have not perfected that yet. I know of a more advanced hobbiest that used uses Hi-tec, heat tempers the final cure and then lubes in MML+. He gets good accuracy at 2,600 in a 30-06. I am not there yet.
Old November 11, 2017, 09:32 PM   #33
kmw1954

I'm late too.

When I 1st restarted Handloading I also thought about casting and have been a forum member over at Cast Boolits for as long as I've been here.

While I was shooting revolvers all I shot back then was either Speer or Hornady cast lead because they were readily available, cheap and there was no internet to search.

So while studying the subject I found that recycled lead around these parts is almost impossible to find. Illinois did away with lead wheel weights years ago and the metal recyclers won't talk to anyone because it's a hazardous material. Easy supplies have vanished.

Next comes all the problems I have read of people having while trying to start casting for the 9mm because of the tapered case and also the great variance in barrel sizes. Still thinking of looking for molds for the 380acp and trying that though.
Old November 11, 2017, 11:14 PM   #34
shootniron

Mine is...powder coating killed it graveyard dead.

Since my first batch of powder coated bullets...I have never conventionally lubed another bullet and no plans to resume.
Old November 15, 2017, 08:20 AM   #35
USSR

I don't do plastic - either guns (Glocks) or bullets (PC). My Lyman 450 gets fed White Label BAC lube and turns out really nice bullets.

Don
Old November 15, 2017, 10:23 AM   #36
Chainsaw.

Im a powder coater, I see no positives of traditional lube over powder coat save for it you are already set up to do lubing. But then, powder coat takes very little to equipment, I think Im invested about $25 into it. Once coated I use the cheap lee push through sizers, which is a sizer...but not a lubrisizer, so to the question "is the luberisizer dead?".......maybe?
Old April 23, 2018, 07:48 PM   #37
Grey_Lion

My casting direction has "matured" :-) I now cast soft 9mm rounds to use as cores in my .40 custom hollow points swaged using annealed 9mm brass. Manufacturers are simply too proud of their JHP. And I love testing my rounds for spread and fragmentation. It is development of the craft of bullet making. Right now there's forum members CRINGING that I'm using up "perfectly good" 9mm brass to make .40 hollow points but fear not.... I only use the oddball crap 9mm brass which there seems to be PLENTY of.
Old April 30, 2018, 05:53 AM   #38
GTOne

Powder coating has brought casting back in a big way, it is huge compared to just 5 years ago. There is little reason to go with old school conventional lubes for bullets.
Old April 30, 2018, 06:56 AM   #39
USSR

Is the lubrisizer dead?

Nope. Used it just yesterday and seems to be working fine.

Don
Old April 30, 2018, 07:34 AM   #40
jaguarxk120

Those big Keith 44 bullets still like the 50/50 mix from my Lyman luber/sizer.
Right now I can't see starting something new when the Alox/Beeswax work for me.
Old April 30, 2018, 03:38 PM   #41
FrankenMauser

I hate Alox.
I size everything.
I still haven't tried the Hi-Tek that I bought three (four?) years ago.
I don't want to powder-coat. Too much mess. More equipment to clutter the little space that I have.
But I can lube and size at my bench, on a rainy day, with the Lyman 45 and 450. ...And the bullets and firearms don't seem to mind one bit.

The luber-sizer is not dead here.

However... I have some suppressors coming, and do intend to use them with rifles that sometimes get cast bullets. To help myself out with cleaning, I'm going have to eventually start baking some projectiles with the Hi-Tek.
Old May 2, 2018, 04:00 PM   #42
Chainsaw.

Hmm...What mess? Tuperware with powder and beads in it, put the lid on, shake shake shake, take lid off, pick bullets out and onto bake tray, cook, done. No mess.