The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 9, 2018, 03:26 AM   #26
supercub99

My, my, so many opinions. Remington's are just like every other gun maker, most work and shoot just fine. They all have a problem of some kind or another, Remington's happens to be in the trigger. Most were fine and worked as intended. Some not so and for various reasons, not just one specific. You could fix them rather easily by replacing them and not looking back. In all likelihood, you would have a better trigger on top of it. This isn't always the case with some gun problems such as Ruger's internal bolt problems, Smith and Wessons STag AR problems and a host of other makers issues.

Bottom line, the only issue I have seen in Remington is the trigger. I have two, they shoot small holes and they have Jewel Triggers in em. I have Savages, they also shoot small holes and have upgraded ejectors to replace the pitiful ones they come with. The Savage triggers (accutrigger) is about the only out of the box trigger I'm not inclined to change. All the others I would. If I was doing any serious hunting I would convert the magazine to something that was reliable. And one final thought, there are more aftermarket parts out there for Remington's than any other brand, bar none. Don't be worried about Remington's, they will not go out of business, price them with a new trigger regardless and enjoy.
Old March 10, 2018, 05:03 PM   #27
RC20

I just call buying Remington's encouraging bad practices and in the trigger case, damn dangerous to lethal. Unless the trigger was abused it should never do what those do.

Not something I knew but as we have learned, its about as ugly as it gets.

Parts forever yes. Not sure what more you can want.

Buy the gun and the X trigger has to be replaced because its so bad.

Add another hundred to the cost.

Savage, good out of the box. Savage rules!

Granted the wimpy ejector but that is a low cost fix!
Old March 11, 2018, 01:43 PM   #28
supercub99

Won’t argue that some Remington triggers were or went bad and could go bang with a bump as I have seen it in person. What I find interesting is the majority of the owners will not send them in or even change them out if they don’t go bang when bumped. We are talking perhaps a large number here. Odd at best.

Triggers, Savage gets the nod.

Mags, Remington gets the nod.

Ejectors, Again Remington gets the nod but only by a hair.

Pet peeve, bolt release, 100% advantage Remington. Top, bottom releases, both in and out to do it, nuts. Remington, one push done and done both ways.

All the other things pretty much a draw.

No rules.
Old March 11, 2018, 08:12 PM   #29
reinert

Bradley,

I have three M700, ADLs. One built in 1968 (long action), one built in the mid-90s (long action), and the last one was a bi-centennial model I got a year ago last August (short action). On the two long action rifles I had a professional, very competent and trustworthy gunsmith I've used for the past 20+ years adjust the triggers. He did a fine job on them, and also went through and cleaned them besides; no problems. He thought if the triggers on an M700 were clean and adjusted properly, they were just fine. I trust his judgment.

The short action M700, the last one I got, I adjusted the trigger myself. There was only ONE allen screw to do the adjusting with (way different from my two earlier rifles), and frankly, I can't remember if I had to turn the screw in, or out (did have to take the action out of the stock). The trigger adjusted easily, and is set at a little over 3.5 lbs. (I don't have a trigger pull guage; close to that anyway). I daubed the set screw with blue loc-tite when I had the trigger adjusted to where I wanted it. The rifle has been just fine at this point in time; hundreds of rounds through it.

The newer/current M700s have a set screw you can adjust without taking the action out of the stock, but I've never heard how that works out for a set pull weight; that one seems very user friendly. Don't know if those are still on the new 700s.

If I ever have an inkling, even slightly, that I have a trigger issue with any of these rifles, I'll just get a Timney for it. It's that simple. I can't imagine trading off any of these rifles, as they've served me very well for a long time.

At this point in time for me, I really don't need any more rifles. But If I think I'd like to try some other caliber to reload for, I'd have no hesitation at all in buying another M700.

Hope this "old guy" opinion sheds a little positive light on an M700; I like all three of mine. One other thing (FWIW); through the years, I've never met anyone, personally, that's told me of a trigger/safety glitch on a Remington rifle they've owned. That includes any second hand stories of shooters/hunters I've known through the years, too.
Old March 14, 2018, 08:21 PM   #30
LAH

No problems here nor any of my buddies. Just saying.
Old March 14, 2018, 11:01 PM   #31
old roper

This is picture of the Remington 40x trigger.

https://www.google.com/search?q=remi...36dPZecnAHI3M:
NRA Life Member
Old March 15, 2018, 01:18 AM   #32
supercub99

I've only seen one that would fire when bumped, and it would do it every single time. A range safety guy who knows a guy I know asked him if he'd ever done the bump test. Nope and they tried it and sure enough it tripped. We changed it out and destroyed the original. It can and has happened, something goes wrong with it internally. Personally I check all my guns safeties and trust none of them. The only absolutely safe gun is one without a bolt and firing pin.
Old March 16, 2018, 05:52 PM   #33
Paul B.

Quite a few years back, probably in the late 1970's a neighbor brought a Remington 700 ADL and asked me to check it out. According to him, his brother took it off safety so as to unload the magazine. Rifle was chambered to the .270 BTW. When the gun was taken off safety it fired. Well, to make a long story shot I had the rifle for over a week and messed with it in my spare time. I never could make it fire when taking it off safety or on opening the bolt. My conclusion was his brother had his finger on the trigger when taking the gun off safety. The sad part was the bullet stuck his wife in both legs and she lost them at the knees.
FWIW, my neighbor wasn't too happy with my conclusion.
Paul B.
Old March 19, 2018, 04:14 PM   #34
Bradley.sporkman

Thanks guys for sharing your experieces