The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 30, 2018, 08:08 AM   #1
USNRet93
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 23, 2018
Location: Republic of Boulder, USA
Posts: 776
Some observations-Tanner Gun Show

Went yesterday in Denver with 2 sons..younger son(39yo) looking for a new Glock 43. Found one BUT..seems every show can be characterized by what's offered..this show was undoubtedly the 'AR' show..many, many, many for sale. A few tables with just a line of 12-15 of identical AR types, on little stands with a sign, 'Show Special-$549', type thing.

Another thing noticed was LOTS of Rugers(LCP, LCP2, LC9S..zero EC9 I saw)..very few Glocks(?)...prices were all over the map..from MSRP, to slightly below to a few MSRP+...Also a LOT of S&W 642..like maybe about a dozen at different tables..Noticed them cuz I used to have one.

Another..looked at the few -43s we saw..I had a Glock 19 to trade..first 3 places weren't interested in this handgun for trade at all..even tho none had a G19 for sale..curious.. One gent said '$125'....mentioned something about year end and new year orders from Glock.

Another was the number of people who 'seemed' to buy ammo at WallyWorld and then re-label the boxes for sale..at higher prices..I guess kinda like picking up an impulse buy while leaving..

Did, at the back of the hall, finally find a really nice gent('Big Jim'), smaller dealer, who said we could have $325 on trade for a $425 new G43..done deal..

But all in all, fun. Gun biz, judging by number of stuff FS and YUGE crowd, seems pretty dern healthy..
__________________
PhormerPhantomPhlyer

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; December 30, 2018 at 08:17 AM.
USNRet93 is offline  
Old December 31, 2018, 05:24 PM   #2
COSteve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 6, 2009
Posts: 1,142
Tanner, like many gunshows, has in recent years become 'all about ARs' so I've been passing on it lately. Maybe go once a year now to see some of the older vendors I've known for 20+ years.

Prices for many articles are set really high (over retail) to see if they can snag a sucker but most vendors will haggle a reasonable price if you persist. Some of the older coots are really there to gosip and such so they price their stuff so high it'll never sell.

If they had inventory that I was interested in (pretty much everything except ARs and AKs) I'd go more even though it's a fair drive from Ken-Caryl Valley to that side of town.

OP, Have you checked out Gunsport of Colorado on 14th st in Boulder? Ross, the owner is a great guy.
__________________
Steve

“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Confucius
"When you find a find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert
COSteve is offline  
Old January 1, 2019, 07:22 AM   #3
USNRet93
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 23, 2018
Location: Republic of Boulder, USA
Posts: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by COSteve View Post
Tanner, like many gunshows, has in recent years become 'all about ARs' so I've been passing on it lately. Maybe go once a year now to see some of the older vendors I've known for 20+ years.

Prices for many articles are set really high (over retail) to see if they can snag a sucker but most vendors will haggle a reasonable price if you persist. Some of the older coots are really there to gosip and such so they price their stuff so high it'll never sell.

If they had inventory that I was interested in (pretty much everything except ARs and AKs) I'd go more even though it's a fair drive from Ken-Caryl Valley to that side of town.

OP, Have you checked out Gunsport of Colorado on 14th st in Boulder? Ross, the owner is a great guy.
Been there many times and have yaked with Jason(son) many times as well. Great little store..I have bought 3 guns from him..and still have one of them. He did very well by me when I was trading a S&W 642...When they get their Glock 43x and 48..I'll be by..the Glock 48 intrigues me..single stack -19..I'm always looking for a 9mm that's fun to shoot, that I can carry also. -19/26 too fat, -43/26 no fun to shoot(wonky wrist and RH thumb)..'recoil sensitive'..
__________________
PhormerPhantomPhlyer

"Tools not Trophies”
USNRet93 is offline  
Old January 2, 2019, 12:49 PM   #4
Cheapshooter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 2, 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 7,766
Quote:
.this show was undoubtedly the 'AR' show..many, many, many for sale. A few tables with just a line of 12-15 of identical AR types, on little stands with a sign, 'Show Special-$549', type thing.
Capitolism! Sellers selling what buyers are buying.


I did think the market was pretty saturated by the time the 2016 election gave some amount of relief to the fears of a ban. But now maybe with the result of the 2018 election the fears are returning.
__________________
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Cheapshooter is offline  
Old January 3, 2019, 04:11 AM   #5
bamaranger
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 9, 2009
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 6,735
burn out

I burned out on gun shows years ago. Prices almost always too high. On every thing. Lots of BS'ers and sharks too. Far too much GI Joe/gun shop commando stuff to suit me as well.

Not worth the $5 (or more) entry anymore, and with the internet, I can find odd and rare parts and ammo easily and more affordably from home.
bamaranger is offline  
Old January 3, 2019, 06:44 AM   #6
Rob228
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 29, 2010
Location: Okinawa JP
Posts: 985
Quote:
OP, Have you checked out Gunsport of Colorado on 14th st in Boulder? Ross, the owner is a great guy.
I took a three year break from the Corps for college in Boulder before headed back and will second this. I bought more guns from him than any other one dealer ever. One of my fondest memories of Boulder is walking out of Gunsport with a beautiful 870 LW special field over my shoulder (bought it used, no case or box included) right into a huge anti-Monsanto protest. Good times.
Rob228 is offline  
Old January 3, 2019, 07:39 AM   #7
USNRet93
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 23, 2018
Location: Republic of Boulder, USA
Posts: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob228 View Post
I took a three year break from the Corps for college in Boulder before headed back and will second this. I bought more guns from him than any other one dealer ever. One of my fondest memories of Boulder is walking out of Gunsport with a beautiful 870 LW special field over my shoulder (bought it used, no case or box included) right into a huge anti-Monsanto protest. Good times.
Thanks for your service. Altho small, they will get you pretty much anything you can imagine..and at really good prices..He's going to give me a shout when he gets a Glock 43x and G48...
__________________
PhormerPhantomPhlyer

"Tools not Trophies”
USNRet93 is offline  
Old January 3, 2019, 07:46 AM   #8
USNRet93
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 23, 2018
Location: Republic of Boulder, USA
Posts: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
Capitolism! Sellers selling what buyers are buying.


I did think the market was pretty saturated by the time the 2016 election gave some amount of relief to the fears of a ban. But now maybe with the result of the 2018 election the fears are returning.
ONLY 1/3 of the branches will be DEM controlled..NOTHING will get past the Senate and even if it did, the guy in the big chain won't sign it..States? Now that's a different animal..
__________________
PhormerPhantomPhlyer

"Tools not Trophies”
USNRet93 is offline  
Old January 3, 2019, 08:57 AM   #9
Skans
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 20, 2008
Posts: 10,823
While it's true that gun shows are over-saturated with AR-15 stuff, I do still manage to find an interesting gun or two which I at least consider purchasing. Last gun show I passed up a beautiful Browning X-Bolt stainless (white gold) Maple stock 30-06 asking price of $900. That's one I wish I at least made an offer on.
Skans is offline  
Old January 7, 2019, 11:53 AM   #10
M88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 15, 2018
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 266
USNRet93, curious how big this show was. How many tables? Here in eastern PA besides many smaller ones, we have a fairly large gun show every few months that draws folks from NY, NJ, MD and of course the entire eastern PA. My experience, like others have stated, is all over the table as far as getting a good deal. There are tables with a price higher than MSRP for the exact same NIB gun that three tables down is $100 cheaper. They aren't there to push their gun inventory, and that's fine. Ammo... unless you're looking for reloaded ammo which is dirt cheap but I now don't touch it, with few exceptions can almost always beat gun show ammo "deals" online. Exceptions would be for example finding mil surplus Garand 30-06 or on occasion some rare 7.7x58 JAP for a good price, things like that.
__________________
NRA life member. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless!
M88 is offline  
Old January 8, 2019, 08:16 AM   #11
USNRet93
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 23, 2018
Location: Republic of Boulder, USA
Posts: 776
Tough to say how many tables but it was in a '2 gymnasium sized plus a little' areas..
Also just went to a little one in Longmont on Sunday..about 1/3 of the size. Yes about $..I heard one gent answer a guy that 'P320s are scarce..I order one and it sits for months'..and a guy at the other end had red P320 boxes stacked up and selling them briskly..YMMV..some good deals, certainly not on ammo in boxes. Some interesting vintage stuff, like revolvers but OMG..wanted YUGE $..

My son did get a really good deal on a new G43 at Tanner..along with a good trade-in $ using my G19..
__________________
PhormerPhantomPhlyer

"Tools not Trophies”
USNRet93 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2018 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.08577 seconds with 8 queries