The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 10, 2019, 09:49 AM   #51
NoSecondBest

You can easily load the 45-70 down to energy/recoil loads equivalent to 44mag or even lighter. There are hundreds of thousands of people hunting with 45 and 50cal muzzle loaders who aren't complaining about the recoil. You can load the 45-70 into those ranges with ease. The versatility of this cartridge is outstanding. Most everyone who hunts with it knows it will easily kill any whitetail on this continent. Rarely do you ever recover a bullet if shot at any "book" load with this caliber. There's no reason not to use it really if recoil bothers you in any way....if you reload. Pick any bullet weight and velocity you like and if it's accurate enough to hunt with you're good to go. Myself, I think that's the best reason to consider this cartridge.
Old January 10, 2019, 03:40 PM   #52
BIGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter2678 View Post
Picking up my henry all weather in 45-70 today...if they ever make this in 357 max and brass becomes more accessible I might snag one but for now the 45-70 will be my deer rifle for here in OH. Weird even saying that since all I ever hunted with was heavy cumbersome 20 ga and 12 ga slug guns.
Hunter2678, let us know how you like the all weather Henry Rifle. I have been looking at those real hard, one in 45-70 of course.
Old January 12, 2019, 08:53 PM   #53
LineStretcher

Took my Marling 1895 SBL Trapper out to the range with Remington 405g Core-Lokt ammo. What a blast to shoot. Recoil was there but not bad at all. My buddy was afraid of it at first but as soon as he shot it once I had a hard time getting it back. He was blowing up anything and everything out in the desert. Glad I brought 2 boxes of ammo. We've decided that we'd nick name it the little gun that goes BOOM...
Old January 16, 2019, 08:48 PM   #54
E.J.W.

I too have a fairly new 1895 GBL in 45-70. This "Rem-Lin" as some refer to them was a little rough around the edges at the start. I bought a spring kit and a safety delete, took it apart, cleaned up some burrs here and there and now it's a nice shooter. I plan on hunting some hogs with it next year and have built a nice load using IMR3031 under some 405 gr cast RNFP sized to .459". I can say without a doubt the .459's shoot a bit tighter group than the more readily available .458" cast bullets do.
YMMV.
E.
Old January 18, 2019, 11:52 AM   #55
WIN1886

While I'd love to own a 38-55 model 94 , I don't agree that it is a better choice than the 45-70 for hunting medium game or larger. The deer I've harvested with the 45-70 have shown less meat damage than smaller calibers I've used and factory ammo is more readily available if needed or desired ! i wish the 38-55 was more popular and factory ammo choices were better at prices more affordable but that's not the case. Same goes for the 25-35 , I'd love to have one but ammo is too scarce in a pinch and yes ,I do some hand loading.