The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 13, 2016, 02:34 PM   #1
Willie D

Likelihood of reversing Izhmash Ban Executive Order?

What are the odds of this happening? Seems like a possibility although there may be pressure from domestic manufacturers to keep the status quo.
Old November 13, 2016, 06:27 PM   #2
kilimanjaro

Maybe, if Trump rescinds all Obama orders, but reality is US jobs gain with manufacturing here.
Old November 13, 2016, 08:49 PM   #3
Bartholomew Roberts

I'm kind of skeptical that a candidate who wants to keep jobs in the U.S. and is skeptical of our trade agreements is going to open the floodgates on cheap imports to compete with American businesses.
Old November 14, 2016, 05:20 AM   #4
kozak6

There's a lot of conspiracy theories concerning Trump's relationship with Russia. It will be fascinating to see how it all plays out.

A floodgate of cheap imports? I wish! We're talking Obama's EO, not Bill Clinton's voluntary restraint agreement. Most of Izhmash's previously importable firearms weren't particularly cheap nor even interesting. The Saiga series is where it's at.

Remington sold a lot of their stuff rebadged or under their Spartan line, so there might be less pressure than you'd expect.
Old November 14, 2016, 09:54 AM   #5
carguychris

Kozak6 and BR both have excellent points.

If Trump rescinds the EO, the MSM is going to scream foul, and we're going to hear both "Trump is pandering to evil dirty Putin!" AND "Trump is a pants-on-fire hypocrite on trade!" at the same time, likely in the same editorials. (The irony of the political left making latter accusation will be overwhelming, given that we're primarily discussing EBRs, but I predict this won't stop the MSM from running with it. )

When he was a candidate, Trump seemed to relish this sort of ready-made controversy, even when (perhaps ESPECIALLY when) it was obvious that he was being baited. OTOH his course as president-elect has yet to be conclusively demonstrated.

This one is hard to call, but my hunch is that he will stay out of it. There are plenty of gun-rights initiatives that will yield more measurable benefits in proportion to the controversy they will generate.

Last edited by carguychris; November 14, 2016 at 10:07 AM. Reason: minor reword
Old November 14, 2016, 11:07 PM   #6
5whiskey

I agree with Chris. That political capital can be used elsewhere for a much greater gain. I could care less about Izhmash arms... Better options out there
Old November 15, 2016, 07:56 AM   #7
Bartholomew Roberts

True about political capital from both sides. If you are Putin and Trump is your best buddy ever, you've probably got a long list of controversial policy changes you want to see before spending it on reopening the U.S. to Izhmash exports.
Old November 15, 2016, 08:56 AM   #8
amd6547

Well, I like my Saiga 5.45 a lot, so I'd like to see them come back...though I would profit if they didn't.
I would like to see action taken on the ban of 7n6 5.45 imports.
Old November 15, 2016, 09:13 AM   #9
Targa

I would like to see it reversed. Saiga's for example were one of the best bangs for the buck IMO, my 7.62x39 is alot fun at the range, I wouldn't mind another one in 5.45.
Old November 16, 2016, 11:49 AM   #10
rickyrick

Russia takes, or at least, sometimes takes our astronauts to the space station. Apparently someone has a friendly relationship with Russia.
Old November 16, 2016, 12:47 PM   #11
carguychris

Putin has threatened to use the space-travel concessions as a bargaining chip before, along with steering Russian long-haul airliner purchases to Airbus rather than Boeing. The U.S.-Russia relationship is complex.

That said, the Kalashnikov/Izhmash EO represents a pinprick in terms of U.S.-Russian commerce. It's primarily symbolic, which is the main reason I think it's unlikely to be rescinded – there's little practical value in doing so. Trump has bigger fish to fry.

(Just for the record, I'd like to see both this EO and the much broader DoS voluntary restraint agreement overturned; I just don't think either is likely to happen while U.S.-Russian relations are deteriorating.)
Old November 16, 2016, 05:05 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I just don't think either is likely to happen while U.S.-Russian relations are deteriorating.)
Deteriorating?? You mean Hillary's "reset button" didn't fix all that???
Old November 17, 2016, 09:19 AM   #13
carguychris

^^^ I do a reflexive facepalm whenever anyone in the executive branch begins discussing a "reset button" in the context of international relations.
Old November 17, 2016, 03:49 PM   #14
danco

Quote:
Russia takes, or at least, sometimes takes our astronauts to the space station. Apparently someone has a friendly relationship with Russia.
That'd be NASA...
Old November 17, 2016, 08:19 PM   #15
thallub

Quote:
That said, the Kalashnikov/Izhmash EO represents a pinprick in terms of U.S.-Russian commerce.
There is no such "executive order". There are no executive orders pertaining to gun control.

https://www.archives.gov/federal-reg...-subjects.html
Old November 17, 2016, 09:20 PM   #16
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by thallub
There is no such "executive order". There are no executive orders pertaining to gun control.
This link says otherwise. Scroll down to the part where the Kalashnikov Concern aka/fka Izhmash is placed on the Specially Designated Nationals (i.e. banned persons and companies) list.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-ce.../20140716.aspx

I'll cut you some slack. The EO is hard to find unless you know where to look, because it's written in dense and byzantine trade-sanction language and says nothing explicit about guns, firearms, arms, weapons, etc.

[EDIT] Also, an important thing to understand is that it's not a broad ban on Russian firearms; it's a specific set of sanctions against Russian companies under a particular corporate umbrella. It just happens to encompass Saiga rifles and shotguns.
Old November 18, 2016, 02:56 AM   #17
Old Bill Dibble

I'm thinking that this will start to go away in January.
"Tragedy has been and will always be with us. Somewhere right now, evil people are planning evil things. All of us will do everything meaningful, everything we can do to prevent it, but each horrible act can’t become an axe for opportunists to cleave the very Bill of Rights that binds us."
Old November 18, 2016, 04:14 PM   #18
44 AMP
Staff

Maybe it will go away, maybe not.

Remember that the Gun Control Act 68 was supported by gun makers, and representatives because a good part of it was a trade protection law.

It's provisions to restrict import guns (especially the cheap competition) were welcomed by US gun makers. And, American worker's facing job loss from cheap(er) foreign products was something politician's still took seriously back then. (they claim they do now, but the way things seem to work out, I have my doubts about how serious some of them really are...)

They supported it, then, because it was good for business. And Trump is all about business.

He'll bend some ways to do business with Russia, and bend other ways to keep the support of American businesses. Where he winds up on any specific matter is, I think, too soon to call.