The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 2016, 02:45 PM   #51
alexcue

RCBS RS (Reloader Special) I think the frame is dated in 1977, but it's not in front of me at the moment. It served me well for many years to do all kinds of things. When i upgraded it pretty much went into depriming duty. I also used my brothers Rockchucker, and it was no comparison in terms of how beefy it was. It was also Heavy! Wow.

Anyway, I started using Lee products, added a LCT and because of it I picked up a Lee Classic Cast! I love it. It's also much cleaner to run than the RS. The primers just drop straight through to a bucket underneath. It'll handle pretty much everything I can personally throw at it. Why didn't I get the Rockchucker? Cost, for what I use a single stage for, I just didn't need that much of a press anymore. Especially because I rotate my presses on stands. My only permanently mounted press is XL650.
Old October 11, 2016, 03:41 PM   #52
AzMandella

I guess I am one of the only people with the New Hornaday Iron Press. Love it . Great primer system .
Old October 11, 2016, 04:22 PM   #53
F. Guffey

I have three Rock Chuckers, something went wrong the other day with one of them. Suddenly and without warning the ram slid out the bottom and hit the floor. There was no use in me trying to blame the wife because she has never used that one. I called RCBS to order the new Special Order Catalog etc. and mentioned the problem with the press. When finished they transferred me, I got tired of waiting so I hung up, in about 2 hours RCBS called about the press.

They said they would send me a new one; I wanted to know 'a new what?' because I am not trading for a new one. They said they would send a new ram and instillation kit. It has taken me years to get this one looking the way it does. I do not believe I have enough years left brake-in another press.

F. Guffey
Old October 11, 2016, 10:44 PM   #54
dieselbass

Rock chucker jr 3 here. Got it from a friend and am very happy. Loading 30 06 with hopes for pistol soon (once wife decides). No plans for anything fancy press wise. Lee enfield indeed.
Old October 11, 2016, 11:47 PM   #55
kmw1954

As I stated earlier, one can't go wrong with a single stage press. It's as simple as it gets, in theory or practice. Sure some are built heavier than others but again I still see many Old C presses being bought and sold on ebay. Like the old Lyman, C&H, Herter's and some I've never heard of.
Old October 12, 2016, 01:07 AM   #56
towman32

"What is "match grade consistency" in terms of group size, to you?"

To answer the question it would be .5"
However my point is if you run 5 loads through a measure using extruded powder atleast one charge will be off .1 grain or more.
Old October 12, 2016, 07:44 AM   #57
F. Guffey

Quote:
sold on ebay. Like the old Lyman, C&H, Herter's and some I've never heard of.
I have an old press I purchased at a flea Market in Napa, California. When being operated it looks like a spider doing push-ups. It became affordable when I convinced the dealer it was not a juicing machine, he specialized in commercial kitchen equipment. One day I will dig it out, it has little value as a sizing press, as a juicer it would require mounting it upside down or under the table.

F. Guffey
Old October 12, 2016, 09:59 AM   #58
jmorris

Quote:
To answer the question it would be .5"
However my point is if you run 5 loads through a measure using extruded powder atleast one charge will be off .1 grain or more.
One can get 1/2 MOA with volume thrown charges, if the rifle likes everything else. Depending on the round, (total volume/weight of charge) .1gn isn't that much, less than a half percent in a small case like .223

It would be a 0.4% change in a 25 grain charge. I know some precision shooters that claim a .2 gn variance isn't a deal breaker for accuracy. If you ladder test your loads you can actually prove this to yourself.

If your the kind of guy that just sleeps better knowing things are precise, you can always find a spherical powder that will shoot and meter well.

Or I built this so I could see the difference between volume and weighed charges. It will make them the same within a kernel or two of powder (fraction of a tenth grain).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACd3yt0J3Bg

Last edited by jmorris; October 12, 2016 at 10:04 AM.