The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 23, 2018, 01:07 AM   #1
Zorro

How to Become a Gun Magazine Writer.

So... I am sort of a Fundamentalist.

I will never give up on preaching Practicing.

Get a .22 In the same frame as you use for Hunting or your real job.

But I want a Journalism Job in Gun Magazines.

How do I Do That from here?
Old December 23, 2018, 01:29 AM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

You collect names and addresses of editors-in-chief of the major gun rags. You write several articles to showcase your writing abilities. You then submit the articles to the editors and ask if they're interested.

Be prepared for rejection. I have had articles published in a number of magazines relating to architecture and construction, but I have been trying for several years to break into the gun magazines and I haven't had anything accepted for a print magazine yet. I've had articles published in on-line "magazines" -- but nothing in any dead tree publications.

It's not as easy as it looks.
Old December 23, 2018, 02:04 AM   #3
Bill DeShivs

There are still gun magazines?
Old December 23, 2018, 02:31 AM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

I am not a gun magazine writer, so don't consider this expert advice.

Pick a current (or interesting) and relevant topic and write something that is accurate, interesting and engaging.

Alternatively, pick a topic that is technical and relevant and explain it in easily understood form; relating it to something that the subject audience wants to know or will find interesting.

Make sure you have lots of good photos relating to the topic.

Provide useful data that relates to the topic in simple and easily understood tables or charts.

Provide a finished product that is ready to use--find out from the organizations what they want in terms of document and photo formats.

Spend some time reading the publications you intend to send stories to and get a feel for what they want.

Don't expect immediate success.
Old December 23, 2018, 08:42 AM   #5
FITASC

I have a good friend who writes for several gun magazines dealing specifically with shotguns. He also gets to go on hunts where it is not only free, he gets PAID to do so and then write about it. He's a retired lawyer, a former Olympic Skeet alternate and coach so he has been in the business for many decades which gave him the opportunities to break into writing for a few publications, plus a online blog, and a Q&A forum.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 23, 2018, 11:39 AM   #6
Onward Allusion

I may be stating the obvious. Do you have a portfolio?
Old December 23, 2018, 12:43 PM   #7
lamarw

It appears you will need to establish yourself as an expert in a particular area/field through competition, experience and/or notoriety. What is your background? What is your education level in the fields of communication, literature, English and etc.? What is your job experience in the such fields as law enforcement, military, outdoor activities (professional guide) and etc.?

Establish yourself as a freelance writer by having article published in various magazines, newspapers and other publications. What have you had published? Have you ever served as an editor or assistant editor on any newspapers or had on the job experience at such jobs? Have you served on school papers, yearbooks and etc.?

I am not one to really know the answer to your question. I suspect it is like most other jobs in life. You will need training, education and experience to reach most senior levels. Writing for major publications will require years upon years of these qualifications.
Old December 23, 2018, 12:54 PM   #8
Glenn E. Meyer

If you google the topic (what a surprise), you will find lots of advice on that. The general advice on being a writer is a great suggestion.
Old December 24, 2018, 09:49 PM   #9
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
You collect names and addresses of editors-in-chief of the major gun rags. You write several articles to showcase your writing abilities. You then submit the articles to the editors and ask if they're interested.

Be prepared for rejection. I have had articles published in a number of magazines relating to architecture and construction, but I have been trying for several years to break into the gun magazines and I haven't had anything accepted for a print magazine yet. I've had articles published in on-line "magazines" -- but nothing in any dead tree publications.

It's not as easy as it looks.
Care to share what you've published?
Old December 24, 2018, 11:14 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Care to share what you've published?
Sorry, but no.

There's a reason why I use a screen name that's unrelated to my real name. One (or maybe two or three) of the moderators here know who I am, but I don't care to make it public.
Old December 25, 2018, 12:49 AM   #11
AL45

I might make it writing about my real life hunting and shooting experiences in the humorous section. Maybe the Baxter Black of hunters.
Old December 26, 2018, 08:10 PM   #12
DaleA

Vince Flynn, a Twin Cities author, said he had over 40 rejections of his first book before he finally self published it and the rest, as they say, is history. He has been a New York Times best seller numerous times since then. Sadly he passed away in 2013.

Vince Flynn was very knowledgeable about firearms and his books show this. If you like action/adventure books I'd highly recommend him.
Old December 26, 2018, 08:43 PM   #13
FITASC

How many times did Edison fail before being successful? If you're the type who gets discouraged after a few dozens NOs, then do something else.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 27, 2018, 02:57 PM   #14
Jim Watson

Larry Niven dedicated a book to his Grandfather who left him enough to live on while he piled up rejection slips until he made his first sale.
Old January 16, 2019, 11:35 AM   #15
RandyC

First become a good writer. That's more important than the subject matter. And if you're lucky you'll have a good editor who will be brutally honest while he or she is tearing your stories to pieces as you grow.

Writer first. Gun writer second.