The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 10, 2018, 09:21 PM   #1
Winny

2 3/4” Shells for Geese

I hunt Canadian geese a couple of times a year. Been using my trusty Winchester pump or an O/U with 3” steel shot for the past few years successfully

I have a semi auto that can shoot 2 3/4” shells but Worry they won’t get the job done. I’ve killed a good few ducks with the 2 3/4” shells, but Geese are a hell of a lot tougher, IMO.

Anybody here hunt geese with 2 3/4” shells?
Old December 10, 2018, 09:58 PM   #2
MarkCO

Yes, but only in blinds over large spreads with excellent callers. When they are 20 to 30 feet, 2-3/4" #2 is fine.
Old December 10, 2018, 10:08 PM   #3
big al hunter

If you want to use 2 3/4 and have plenty of smack down power get the heavy metal non toxic shells. They are close to as effective as lead. Before the non-toxic shot rules many geese fell to 2 3/4 shells and lead shot. The closer you get to lead performance the better.

Happy hunting!
Old December 10, 2018, 11:41 PM   #4
GeauxTide

I concur with MarkCO. Canadas are TSOBs.
Old December 11, 2018, 12:01 AM   #5
jmr40

The 2 3/4" shells don't hold much of the bigger sizes of steel shot. It could work, but you'd need to understand that you're not going to have many pellets in that load. I might go down to a smaller shot size than normal and limit the range.

Shooting steel at geese is about the only practical use for the big 3 1/2" shells. I'd prefer 3" shells, but if 2 3/4" were all I had, or what my gun shot, I wouldn't stay home.

They are expensive, but if limited to 2 3/4" shells I'd prefer one of the other non-toxic options over steel. Especially for occasional use.

Winston Churchill
Old December 11, 2018, 03:08 AM   #6
Scorch

Never had any trouble killing geese with 2-3/4" shells. The pellets have the same energy as 3" shells, there just aren't as many pellets so your pattern is a little less dense. But they go down if you hit them. Just let them get close enough.
Old December 11, 2018, 06:55 AM   #7
stillquietvoice

If you reload you can use. 177 bbs you can insert 70-80 in each shell, they carry a lot of energy down range.
Old December 11, 2018, 01:43 PM   #8
dahermit

Quote:
If you reload you can use. 177 bbs you can insert 70-80 in each shell, they carry a lot of energy down range.
In which shotgun loading manual does one find such a load published? Ask'en for a friend. I can't wait to try that load, albeit in someone else's gun.
Old December 11, 2018, 02:37 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

It's about shot size, the pattern and distance. There is such a thing as a 2.75" magnum too.
Old December 11, 2018, 05:58 PM   #10
stillquietvoice

Probably won't find it in a manual. I loadedy 12 ga shells that way iny teens 30 plus years ago using red dot. Had a mec 600 jr. Iirc 19 -21gr for 1 and one eighth of load. It would powder cry pigeons even with a poor hit.

I liked crossman bbs better the old daisy's had a flat spot that opened up the pattern.
Old December 11, 2018, 07:15 PM   #11
Mobuck

All 3 or 3.5" loads do is increase range. If you're OK passing those longer range shots, the 2 3/4" shells will work and kick less.
If you happen to be the only shooter handicapped by those shorter ranges, expect to sit and watch the others bust 'em higher than you can shoot.
Old December 12, 2018, 12:11 PM   #12
Winny

Quote:
expect to sit and watch the others bust 'em higher than you can shoot.
Guess that's the downside! Could always use this as an excuse to get a new 3" autoloader...
Old December 12, 2018, 04:39 PM   #13
HiBC

Back in the days of using lead shot,I was a kid with a 20 ga Stevens double.

Northern Colorado had a lot of geese. And a lot of irrigation. Crops,reservoirs,and ditches.

Pass shooting geese at the edges of the reservoirs,I'd look at their feet. If you can see their feet really well,generally you can shoot.

In the fields,I'd low crawl the irrigation ditches till I was right among the geese in the fields.

The point was getting close.It was 40 years ago,but I'd guess ranges were inside 30 yds. Those lead 2 3/4 Magnum #2 shot 20 ga shells would bring down geese IF you only shoot when they are close.

I'd guess you can get the same performance out of a 12 ga using non toxic shot.

But maybe you have to be a determined 15 yr old
Old December 14, 2018, 11:52 AM   #14
Winny

Quote:
But maybe you have to be a determined 15 yr old
According to my girlfriend I sure as hell behave like one!

I think your points are good. If they're close enough, anything is better than nothing. But 3" for long shots is the better load.

Time to start stuffing dollars back in the "shotgun jar," I guess.
Old December 14, 2018, 11:53 AM   #15
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Have to be careful not to shoot 2-3/4 Steel Shot in older shotguns that weren't designed for Steel use. Although those older lead shooting shotgun's are dandy-perfect for Upland small Game. (birds/rabbits/ maybe a ball slug occasionally pitched at deer or bear so to fill the freeze. No harm in doing that.)
Old December 14, 2018, 12:09 PM   #16
HiBC

Good point,SureShot! Typical 2 3/4 lead shot guns have short,abrupt forcing cones ahead of the chamber,and there are a lot of full chokes.Steel shot is hard on both,and unless a double is a modern one clearly spec'd by the mfgr as "steel shot" I would not shoot steel in a double.
Old December 15, 2018, 12:25 PM   #17
globemaster3

For years ALL I shot geese with was 2 3/4, 12 gauge steel with 1 1/4 oz #2 or BB. Brought down my limits of geese shooting over the dekes as well as some 40 yard pass shooting. Worked all the time. And that was out of my Ted Williams 300 with a polychoke.

Today, I’ve noticed that it’s hard to find 1 1/4 oz loads in 2 3/4”. Seems like they loaded them down to 1 1/8 oz to increase velocity.

It seems most think that you need 3” to do waterfowl. I hunted in the lead days and through the transition to steel. Based on today’s standard, it’s amazing we killed anything!

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."