The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 25, 2017, 08:22 AM   #1
Nickel Plated

Pick my first gun.

So I'm getting ready to leave the SPRNYC. Will be moving to my new place in PA this weekend. So I want to get my first gun as a little housewarming present for myself for getting out of that awful place. Would like some help on what to get.

Currently it's down to 3 guns.
A Beretta 85 Cheetah single stack
Ruger Mini14
and a new S&W Model 66-8

No real practical purpose for any of them. Just fun range toys. Although CCW would be nice though not much use to me since I still have to go back and forth to NYC everyday for work.

Leaning towards the Beretta since it's gorgeous, can be CC'd if necessary and it's one of those guns that I just don't think will be in production much longer. Being a .380ACP pistol that's bigger, heavier, and more expensive than all the popular subcompact 9x19 offerings on the market. I think it's days are limited. No way Beretta can justify continuing production on them, especially since they already have much "better" and more "practical" pistols in that class. But I've always wanted one in nickel. So want to get one while they're still around.

The Mini 14 kinda falls into the same camp. When compared against an AR-15, which is cheaper, lighter, more customizable and easier to get mags for. Just don't see any reason Ruger would keep it around to step on the SR-556 and AR-556's toes. So again, want to get one new while I still can. I think the only thing keeping it in production are all the AWB states.

Last but not least is the Model 66 4". Always wanted one of these as well. Afterall, who doesn't want a "Combat Magnum"? This one is the least urgent of the three since they just released it and I don't expect it to be discontinued any time soon. But I still want it as much as the others and I think it would be the most fun as a range toy and can even be carried in a pinch (I'm not too obsessive about printing or being totally 100% concealed) Want to get one of the newer ones because of the lockup and forcing cone improvements. The Hillary Hole doesn't bother me. Not hard to remove the lock and plug the hole. It would definitely be getting a nice shiny polish.

Price would be mostly comparable between the 3.

So which of the 3 would you guys get for your first gun? I'm not new to shooting, so .357 magnums and 5.56 is no problem for me to shoot. Just my first gun that I can call my own. Already have an 80% AR and 80% milled AK slowly in the works (in the gathering parts stage). So maybe a pistol would be nice.
Ah, so many guns to buy, so little money.
Old May 25, 2017, 08:36 AM   #2
Targa

Tough decision for sure. Cheetah in nickel is about as beautiful as it gets imo, mini-14 is a lot of fun, revolvers are my favorite handguns. I am no help here, good luck in your decision.
Old May 25, 2017, 09:03 AM   #3
UncleEd

Get the Smith; you'll be able to enjoy it a lot more with ease of ammo availability and probably places to shoot.

But all the following suggestions will be valid as everyone names their favorite handgun, rifle, shotgun and bazooka.
Old May 25, 2017, 09:24 AM   #4
Skans

Does Pennsylvania have magazine size restrictions? If not, then I'd opt for a large capacity semi-auto pistol. Something all steel. Something good quality. Something with a CZ long on it. Ok, then why don't you go with a CZ 75B in stainless or glossy blue.
Old May 25, 2017, 09:39 AM   #5
JWT

The Cheetah in nickle is an extremely fine looking gun. I bought one 'for the looks' and kept it several years. I was not as impressed with the way it shoots as much as I was with the looks. Replaced it with a Kimber micro .380 that I love.

Ruger mini 14 would be my first choice from the list.
Old May 25, 2017, 09:54 AM   #6
cjwils

I own a Cheetah double stack model. With a straight blow-back action, the Cheetah has surprisingly harsh recoil. You will probably find that the smaller grip on the single stack model has even harsher recoil than mine has. The Cheetah looks great, but it is not something that I love to shoot. If I had only one gun, it would be a .357 revolver.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:28 AM   #7
JWT

My feelings on the recoil on the Cheetah are exactly as cjwils. (I had the single stack version.)
Old May 25, 2017, 01:19 PM   #8
Nickel Plated

Thanks guys.
I know of the Cheetah's harsher-than-you-would-think recoil. So that might not make a particularly fun range toy. Though I still want one regardless. Just because it's classy as hell.

And like I said, I already got 2 rifles in the works. So the Mini would just be more of the same.

So I think I'm leaning more to the Smith right now. And the other two will remain next on the list of guns to get.

Quote:
Does Pennsylvania have magazine size restrictions? If not, then I'd opt for a large capacity semi-auto pistol. Something all steel. Something good quality. Something with a CZ long on it. Ok, then why don't you go with a CZ 75B in stainless or glossy blue.
PA has no mag cap restrictions. So really I could get pretty much whatever I want. But all the guns i really want right now just happen to have relatively low capacities. A full size service handgun will be somewhere in my future, but not likely to be a CZ. I know they are excellent handguns, but they just don't have that something to make me want one that bad.
When it comes time for a full size handgun I think it will be a home built 1911, in a pretty traditional GI configuration and a nice rust blue finish.
Old May 25, 2017, 03:47 PM   #9
TailGator

I have the double stack Cheetah, model 84. I agree that the recoil is a little more than expected because of the action, but it isn't terrible. I have some 9s that shoot softer, though. Another thing about the 84, also arising from the blowback action, is the recoil spring is pretty stiff, making racking the slide a little tougher. My wife dislikes that aspect of it more than the recoil. If there is a lady shooter in your life, it could be a factor to consider.
Old May 25, 2017, 04:46 PM   #10
JoeSixpack

Although The cheetahs are nice.. even the name is cool I never owned one I thought they was overpriced.

I vote for the mini-14
Old May 25, 2017, 04:52 PM   #11
Mr. Hill

Get the model 66!
Old May 25, 2017, 04:57 PM   #12
CLC

PA has lax gun laws, no mag restrictions, easy to get CCL, silencers and short barrel weapons with tax stamp. Starting in July you can now hunt smallgame and varmints with .22 CAL semi autos as well.

Personally I would get the mini or S&W, the cheetah is a nice looking gun but it's rather large for the caliber.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:37 PM   #13
ShootistPRS

Well, since the M20A1 isn't allowed, Go with the Mini-14. It is a good home defense gun, a real treat at the range and something you can get out and kill small critters with. It carries the most "bang for the bucks" and the 66 will be around for years (if not centuries).
For a handgun I would opt for a Ruger GP100 in either 4 or 6 inch barrel. They are great first handguns, rugged as a tank and will last three lifetimes even with heavy use. Get stainless as they get better looking every year and the finish won't wear off, rust or chip. That will be my next revolver purchase (to keep my 45 year old Security-Six company).
When it comes time for your first auto-loader think CZ. You can get a 75B in stainless to match your Ruger.
Old May 26, 2017, 08:38 AM   #14
buck460XVR

Quote:
No real practical purpose for any of them. Just fun range toys.
For me that means two things. Pleasant to shoot all day and accurate. For the same price of any of your choices, one can have a 686.
Old May 26, 2017, 08:46 AM   #15
Doyle

Unless you have lots of money to spend on range ammo, you might want to consider a 9mm semi-auto instead of that .380 Cheetah. When it comes to buying factory centerfire ammo, it doesn't get any cheaper than basic 9mm.
Old May 26, 2017, 04:14 PM   #16
Nickel Plated

Quote:
For me that means two things. Pleasant to shoot all day and accurate. For the same price of any of your choices, one can have a 686.
And for the price of the 686 I can have a 66. A bit easier to carry if need be, and I just like the half lug barrel better. Never heard anyone complain of the K frame being a difficult gun to shoot. The 686 just seems bigger and heavier than it really needs to be for what it does.
This applies to the GP100 as well. Just more gun than it needs to be.
I don't expect i will shoot out a new 66 in my lifetime.

Quote:
Unless you have lots of money to spend on range ammo, you might want to consider a 9mm semi-auto instead of that .380 Cheetah. When it comes to buying factory centerfire ammo, it doesn't get any cheaper than basic 9mm.
There is always reloading. Although that just gives you more stuff to spend money on

I guess I will go down to the store, feel them all out and see what strikes my fancy the most at the moment. But for now it's mostly between the 66 and Mini. With the Cheetah being moved down to the "I'll get it some other time" part of the list.
Old May 28, 2017, 05:32 AM   #17
Hal

Quote:
Leaning towards the Beretta since it's gorgeous, can be CC'd if necessary and it's one of those guns that I just don't think will be in production much longer.
This is always a hard sell on this board - - but - - those Cheetahs are so fine looking, why risk dinging it up by carrying it?
I made the mistake of slipping my Beretta EL 950 in my pocket a couple of times and smudged up the bluing a tiny bit .

Nickel doesn't wear like bluing, but, it can scratch....

(being the proud Papa of a few nickle guns, I know from experience what a scratch looks like on the nice smooth bright finish ).

The 66 makes the most sense.
That and a basic reloading setup.
.38 spl is a very easy round to load & it's quite cheap --- and compared to a .22lr, it's "always in stock", which makes it good cheap fun.

The S&W trigger is outstanding.

A GP 100 is a good gun too, but, the trigger is different. Not better, not worse, different. I don't care for it - but - YMMV.

But...even as I'm tying this, I keep thing....oh that Cheetah is such a fine looking piece of machinery.... .

Browning made the BDA ( really a Beretta with the Browning name) years ago & the local dealer had on on the shelf. I used to look at that and drool.

I kick myself for not buying is. Of course, I kick myself harder for not buying the pair of 4" Pythons he offered to me for like $850 for the pair even harder .

Can I change my answer ? LOL!
Old May 28, 2017, 09:52 AM   #18
JoeSixpack

Quote:
This is always a hard sell on this board - - but - - those Cheetahs are so fine looking, why risk dinging it up by carrying it?
I made the mistake of slipping my Beretta EL 950 in my pocket a couple of times and smudged up the bluing a tiny bit
That's why you buy 2, one you carry and one you don't

Actually I don't mind honest wear honest gun.
Old May 28, 2017, 10:02 AM   #19
Bluecthomas

Forget bluing, get it cerrakote. The black looks much like bluing, and is far more durable.
They probably get a good shiny nickle like color too.

Not too familiar with your desired guns. So I will speak in more general terms.

Get the best home defender. Something easy to maneuver but with loads of stopping power.
You might even just add a good basic 12 guage pump to your list. Lots of choices in the $200 price range.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:20 AM   #20
Berserker

I have been wanting model 69, for woods, and could be carried in winter.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:21 AM   #21
Berserker

Everything I own, has wear marks. I buy stuff I want to use.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:48 AM   #22
Andy Blozinski

Back when I was a teenager I had a stainless steel Mini-14. We took it to the outdoor range on what ended up as a rainy day. We were slamming mags through it and heating it up pretty good. It's stainless steel. What the heck, it's not going to rust. We held it out front and let the rain run-off from the roof cool it off.
That gun NEVER jammed on me EVER. No matter how we abused it.
Screw those jam-o-matic M-16s. Get your Mini-14. It also works as a handy club to take out more zombies if you can't get another mag in, or you can use the butt stock as a hammer to get things done. You can't use a Mattel special like that.
Old May 29, 2017, 09:56 AM   #23
Berserker

Have militias moved from min 14 to AR yet?

Both have a place. I don't have either. But would probably go AR for pistol grip and option.

Modern ARs I am told are not the M16s of Vietnam.
Old May 31, 2017, 09:27 AM   #24
jackstrawIII

Smith. That gun will always have a place in your collection.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:54 PM   #25
bamaranger

PA

I hear that PA will now allow semi rifles for small game and varminting. Which means you can likely sally forth afield with your Mini-14 and not be cited by the Cons Officer for violating game law.

Hard to CC a Mini14 though.

I'd forget about the .380,ammo is still costly and hard to comeby on occasion.
The M66 is a strong contender. My only reservation about Mini's these days is new ones are just too darn expensive. A used one maybe??????