The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 4, 2001, 01:41 AM   #1
ReserveCop

I'm thinking of getting the basic Scattergun Border Patrol Model to carry on duty. Has anyone had experience with this model? Does anyone carry it on duty? Any other feedback would also be appreciated? Thanks.
Old February 5, 2001, 01:01 PM   #2
Charmedlyfe

I've got the Scattergun Tech modified 11-87. Works like a charm, and everybody has to wipe their chins after shooting it. I've got the 18-1/2" BBl on mine. great patterns, completely reliable with the so-called 'tactical' loads. No complaints.
Old February 5, 2001, 05:10 PM   #3
Postman

I've had the Border Patrol model for about ayear now. I opted for the Armor Tuff finish and the side saddleIt's fantastic. The fit and finish are perfect.

However...

...when you look at the sum total of parts, it seems a bit pricey.

The border patrol is:

1 Remington 870 express $299.95
1 set of Speed Feed stocks ~$55.00
2 dimples removed from mag tube ~$15.00
1 ball detent installed on the barrel ring ~$15.00
1 Sactter Gun Tech. (SGT) extended mag tube w/ sling mount $45.00
1 set of SGT ghost ring sights $114.95
1 SGT jumbo head safety $12.00
1 Snap Sling $45.00
Parkerizing ~$40.00

I love the gun and wouldn't trade it for anything, but, if I was to do it over, after viewing the finished product, I would buy the parts, skip the parkerizing and the snap sling and asseble the thing myself.

Any gunsmith should be able to drill and tap for the sights as well as remove the dimples fromt he mag tube.
Old February 6, 2001, 10:33 PM   #4
Erik

That equals $641.90 if my math is correct. (Which is often in doubt per my wife.) Considering the cost of labor and the upgraded finish, what should they be priced at?
Old February 6, 2001, 10:34 PM   #5
Erik

Oops.
Old February 7, 2001, 08:27 AM   #6
Double Naught Spy

I bought one WITH the armor tuff finish only to get it home and realize that the front sight had surficial rust on it, the solder they used to mount the front sight on the barrel showed rust that ran about 70 around the base of the front sight. There was also rust on the extended mag tube where the front strap ring was mounted. I called the guy where I bought it and returned it the next day. While he gave me my check back, he explained that none of the rust would affect the functioning of the weapon. I simply explained that I had paid that extra $100 for the armor tuff and so I expected the gun not to rust in the future and certainly not to come rusted.

If you get a gun from Wilson, get a good light and check those areas. These may be superficial flaws, but none belong on one of these gun since they aren't a bargain at superficial prices. I really could not believe that Wilson had not somehow blued or coated any of the solder that held on the front sight. It might take a few years, but that sight is coming off unless someone does something to stop the rust.

A few days later, I bought a Marine Magnum.
Old February 7, 2001, 02:04 PM   #7
LMo

I have one & I like it except for the sights. The rear sight is not easily adjustable. I also shot off my front sight while taking a shotgun class. I had shot about 50 rds of 00 buck & 25 rds of bird shot & I didn't have any problems. However, we switched to slugs & I had shot my 10th slug & the front sight came off. It was both glued & pinned to the bead sight.

Apparently, it wasn't even installed properly because the area underneath the front sight was not bead blasted. It was installed by Scattergun Tech before they were bought out by Wilson Combat. I'm currently having the sights replaced with MMC's by Vang Comp.