The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 3, 2014, 01:32 AM   #51
Jim243

No
No
Yes

The only time there is a round in the chamber is when the gun is on my hip.

I have better options for the home or the car.

Jim
Old July 3, 2014, 05:41 AM   #52
Sabrewolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat
Leaving the slide locked back will compress your recoil spring and wear it out faster
No, actually it won't. Leaving a spring compressed does not affect it's lifespan significantly. It is the stretch and compression cycles than wear a spring out. As long as the spring is not over-compressed or -extended, a static position will not damage it.

"Without logic, reason is useless. With it, you can win arguments and alienate multitudes." - Unknown
Old July 3, 2014, 07:11 AM   #53
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
Been doing it that way for a lotta years with no problems at all, and spring's fine. Works great for me.
Have you had to defend yourself with that firearm? If not, then how do you know if it works for you?

A lot of foolishness in this thread.

I see no reason if you dont have children running around not to have a loaded gun.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old July 3, 2014, 07:29 AM   #54
lockedcj7

All my defensive guns are chambered and in condition 1 (if applicable). The only gun I'm not 100% confident in keeping that way is a Glock and then only when carrying in a Smart Carry holster. I'm concerned that the fabric might get bunched up and press the trigger enough to set it off.
Old July 3, 2014, 07:55 AM   #55
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrewolf
No, actually it won't. Leaving a spring compressed does not affect it's lifespan significantly. It is the stretch and compression cycles than wear a spring out. As long as the spring is not over-compressed or -extended, a static position will not damage it.
The problem arises when springs are over-compressed, as might be the case with a recoil spring when the coils are stacked. Over-compression -- pushing the spring to (or beyond) its elastic limit --will degrade a spring. Doing it often will degrade it more quickly. Stacking is sometimes the case with some recoil springs and some compact/hi-cap mag springs. For many guns designs, "pushing the elastic limits" never happens, but for other designs, including some of the newer designs, it will.

Not all coil springs, when compressed as far as the gun allows, are FULLY compressed. (Mags springs in a full-size 7-round 1911 mag have lots of reserve left.) Some springs have little reserve -- it depends on the design. Many of the newer, smaller, more compact guns are designed to use springs differently than in the past. The designers of some of these new, smaller guns seem to view the springs as renewable resources (and, in fact, they are renewable resources). The designers ask the springs to do more, and tell us to replace them more frequently. The recoil spring for the Rohrbaugh R9. according to the firm, should be replaced every 250-300 rounds. Cycling seems to be an issue for that particular design, but it's as issue created BY DESIGN -- probably because it was the best way to build that smaller 9mm gun! Tappets springs in cars will typically last many MILLIONS of cycles, and broken or poorly functioning tappet springs are almost unheard of.

Compression and cycling can (will) wear out a spring if the cycling process routinely pushes the spring to or beyond it's design limits, ala the R9, above. Overcompression may be more common with new guns than is widely understood. Lots of designs don't push their springs that far and those springs live long lives -- as is the case with s in full-size 7-round 1911 mags and auto tappet springs.

[This has been discussed at length on this site, in a number of different message chains. A couple of engineers who know metals (one a metallurgist) contributed to the discussion and provided links. There are a number of technical sources cited.

Almost any material under load (wood, glass, steel, alloys, etc.) degrades with time and use; the speed of the degradation depends on the amount of load, and how often and how long the load is applied.]

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; July 3, 2014 at 08:17 AM.
Old July 3, 2014, 08:41 AM   #56
JeffK

Quote:
Have you had to defend yourself with that firearm? If not, then how do you know if it works for you?
Because I fire the gun regularly, then clean it and put it in a drawer again until I take it to the range the next time. It's fine.
Old July 3, 2014, 08:48 AM   #57
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by focodude
I'm curious how many of you keep a round in the chamber for your

-home defense gun
-car gun
-carry gun
1) I don't have special guns for places. I strap the gun to me so it goes where I go: Home, car, wherever.

2) Yes, there's a round in the chamber. Not having a chambered round turns your handgun into a handsgun.
Old July 3, 2014, 09:01 AM   #58
Woodsman60

No
Old July 3, 2014, 09:04 AM   #59
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
Because I fire the gun regularly, then clean it and put it in a drawer again until I take it to the range the next time. It's fine.
I am not trying to start an argument, but your missing the point. Is it just a range gun then? Not something you would use to protect yourself with?

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old July 3, 2014, 09:13 AM   #60
ttarp

We all have to decide what we're comfortable or confident with in regard to SD or CCW practices. This goes for what caliber you use, what action you use, and what condition you carry in. Its a personal choice we all make, one that we can't make for others.
Old July 3, 2014, 09:44 AM   #61
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Call me overly cautious (or paranoid )

OK, you're paranoid.

Quote:
it would take me half a second extra to make it cocked and ready (push in magazine, release slide with thumb). Home revolver has full cylinder not clicked all the way in, again it's a fraction of a second to click it home and then it's ready to fire
Quote:
Quote:
So at the range you are shooting under the stressful conditions of a home invasion. Where in a panicked the magazine can easily fall out leaving you with a paperweight to throw at an assailant.

Quote:
Home revolver has full cylinder not clicked all the way in,
This one is very confusing. For what purpose? If it is to keep little hands from having a loaded weapon, that 1/2 second applies to them as well.

No argument intended, just some points to ponder.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 3, 2014, 10:10 AM   #62
TunnelRat

Quote:
1) I don't have special guns for places. I strap the gun to me so it goes where I go: Home, car, wherever.
You sleep with the gun strapped to you? I think you know what the OP meant.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 3, 2014, 10:14 AM   #63
TunnelRat

Quote:
Been doing it that way for a lotta years with no problems at all, and spring's fine. Works great for me.
Just curious why that way as opposed to slide closed and magazine fully inserted. Not trying to fight, legitimately curious.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 3, 2014, 10:35 AM   #64
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat
You sleep with the gun strapped to you? I think you know what the OP meant.
No, but it's next to the bed.

Yes, I know what the OP meant: Some people have special different guns for shooting bad guys in their house, car, or the local Kroger parking lot. I don't get that, but it's a free country.
Old July 3, 2014, 11:25 AM   #65
mavracer

Quote:
Some people have special different guns for shooting bad guys in their house, car, or the local Kroger parking lot. I don't get that, but it's a free country.
Do you get that there's more room in a nightstand or a car's console than there is in the pocket of your jeans?
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old July 3, 2014, 12:12 PM   #66
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavracer
Do you get that there's more room in a nightstand or a car's console than there is in the pocket of your jeans?
I do.

I also get that I don't put my carry gun in my jeans pocket or my car console. That's what I have a holster for.
Old July 3, 2014, 12:25 PM   #67
odugrad

I always keep a round in the chamber. I want to be ready to defend myself/my family in a split second.
Old July 3, 2014, 03:07 PM   #68
cdbeagle

I own eleven handguns, all are loaded, even the eight in the safe. All have a round in the chamber except for my two 1911's that are in the safe. When my children were small I did not keep a loaded gun around either.
Old July 3, 2014, 03:24 PM   #69
jr24

Quote:
Me too. I keep one gun loaded in the house, and that gun is either on my hip or in the bedside safe. Everything else is stored unloaded.
Old July 3, 2014, 08:59 PM   #70
MR.G

HD,CC CG, round in the chamber. My Semi-automatics are double/single action, so with the hammer down the first shot is like a double action revolver.
Old July 3, 2014, 09:34 PM   #71
skoro

Quote:
I'm curious how many of you keep a round in the chamber for your

-home defense gun
-car gun
-carry gun
Yes to all three. But then, I tend to favor DA revolvers.
Old July 3, 2014, 10:07 PM   #72
JeffK

Quote:
We all have to decide what we're comfortable or confident with in regard to SD or CCW practices. This goes for what caliber you use, what action you use, and what condition you carry in. Its a personal choice we all make, one that we can't make for others.
This.
Old July 3, 2014, 10:13 PM   #73
Worc

CC would be the same as my car gun which has one in the chamber. Night stand has rounds in the magazine, but nothing in the chamber. Not that hard to chamber a round as the gun comes out of the drawer.
Old July 3, 2014, 10:18 PM   #74
Worc

CC would be the same as my car gun which has one in the chamber. Night stand has rounds in the magazine, but nothing in the chamber. Not that hard to chamber a round as the gun comes out of the drawer.
Old July 4, 2014, 12:37 AM   #75
boondocker385

I don't have a "car gun"...but my CC has a round chambered and one revolver in the safe.

Tags
"home defense" , safety , tueller