The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 3, 2013, 07:55 PM   #51
tahunua001

I'm afraid I agree with shortwave. not putting an animal out of it's misery is not only allowing it to suffer but while it's waiting to die a slow cruel death you are removing another healthy animal from the population and allowing the infected/injured animal to continue spreading disease and consuming resources that healthy animals would put to better use. last year I shot a deer that had been hit in both legs on one side earlier that morning and by brother shot a cow elk with one leg atrophied from a bullet wound inflicted the year before. neither stood much chance of living in a herd or rearing young successfully and both of us felt good about offering an end to their suffering...
Old September 6, 2013, 10:21 AM   #52
Bezoar

1. google sarcasm.

2. That is a good way to challenge yourself while hunting.

3. how many of you hunt over the electronic radio controlled food spreader devices that you can buy online?
stop doing that for a real challenge.

Thing is in the last three years i would have used my tags on the first day of archery season if i simply wished to use tehm to put down suffering animals.
Old September 6, 2013, 11:31 AM   #53
bird_dog

Google 'sportsmanship' and don't make assumptions that everyone other than you isn't practicing it.
Old September 6, 2013, 12:23 PM   #54
tahunua001

feeders and electronic devices are not allowed in Idaho except for predators(bait is only allowed by permit for bear only) so I hunt the old fashioned way: no calls(except for turkey), no fancy range finding night vision scopes, no bait, just walking around with a gun and hope I see them before they see me. most of the time it works out for me.

also, even though I've lost my fair share of animals, I find it hard to believe that you have so many wounded animals running around that you could fill your tag on opening day. perhaps that was more sarcasm but that certainly doesn't paint michigan hunters in a very positive light, especially considering the average deer shot for me is over 200 yards and michigan is less than half that.
Old September 6, 2013, 05:14 PM   #55
shortwave

Quote:
1. google sarcasm.
Like I said...I hoped I was misunderstanding your post.

Quote:
Thing is in the last three years i would have used my tags on the first day of archery season if i simply wished to use tehm to put down suffering animals.
But now...I don't think I was. So my earlier statement stands, " ... to see an animal suffering and not putting it out of its misery is cruel, inhumane and goes against most every hunters thought process I know. And you sir, have made some **** poor hunting 'challenges' for yourself."

Quote:
3. how many of you hunt over the electronic radio controlled food spreader devices that you can buy online?
stop doing that for a real challenge.
Lets try not to muddy the waters to bad. Not putting a suffering animal out of it's misery has nothing to do with hunting over feeders, food plots, a watering hole a bean field or a stand of nut tree's.

Most sportsman/hunters would rather put a suffering animal down and let it lay for the buzzards rather then let it go on suffering.
Old September 6, 2013, 05:34 PM   #56
tahunua001

Quote:
Most sportsman/hunters would rather put a suffering animal down and let it lay for the buzzards rather then let it go on suffering.
talk about muddying the water. I personally think such an act is ethical however, killing an animal without tagging it and without making a reasonable effort to recover the animal is illegal in any state I've ever looked at(not to say that there aren't some that would allow such conduct).

in washington state just over the idaho border there are huge herds of deer. they are almost entirely does and bucks not large enough to legally harvest. they are so overpopulated that disease and starvation are very prevalent. they are not healthy in the least and will probably be eventually wiped out by disease and damaged genetics. after years of washington F&G failing to do anything about it some sportsmen finally took it upon themselves to thin the population by shooting them and leaving them to the carrion. washington F&G then ordered extra river patrols because "people were poaching deer from boats".

I think they were doing the right thing even if it was illegal but illegal activity is still not something that can or should be endorsed.
Old September 6, 2013, 05:48 PM   #57
22-rimfire

Want a challenge? Hunt with a handgun. Be willing to pass up a shot when handgun hunting and don't spend the rest of the day calling yourself names why you didn't bring old faithful (rifle).

Set restrictions on yourself on distance with a rifle or say... antler size with a deer.
Old September 6, 2013, 06:11 PM   #58
shortwave

I've killed a few suffering deer during our deer season in my time. Deer that have been shot where gangrene had set in the wounds. Have called ODNR and have never had to use one of my tags once the officer got there and saw the deer. But I would have tagged them if I had to.
Shot one once(permission given by sheriff) that was suspected of having pneumonia that my neighbor, his wife, a deputy sheriff and I were standing there petting. She would stand there and then go into convulsions, come out of them and repeat process. Never tagged her either.

We have gotten way off topic the OP intended for this thread and for that I apologize to him.

Maybe we should get back on topic.
Old September 6, 2013, 06:16 PM   #59
tahunua001

FWIW, I am the OP and though I agree that it is off topic it has been a good discussion. I've heard too many horror stories about guys doing such things as described and then had the game warden turn around and revoke their hunting rights for failing to tag and failing to recover the animal. nothing confirmed but enough to make me wary of such a thing.

now...

hijack, rerouted.
Old September 6, 2013, 09:39 PM   #60
shortwave

Quote:
FWIW, I am the OP
Oooops! I see you are.

And yes, this has been a great discussion and the very reason I didn't want it closed for being off topic. It got me thinkin of new ways to challenge myself.
But the OP can hardly hijack his own thread now can he.

Sooo....
Quote:
they are so overpopulated that disease and starvation are very prevalent. they are not healthy in the least and will probably be eventually wiped out by disease and damaged genetics.
Same thing has happened in the past with a few of the parks around Ohio. Park rangers in one park even attempted to net deer for relocation but ended losing many of the deer and some of the deer that did make it spread disease to healthy deer where the sick ones were relocated to.

In another park, there is such a massive deer herd that ODNR took a total of 100-150 deer a year (for three years I know of) out of that herd spotlighting them at night. Believe me when I tell ya, there were/are some massive bucks in that huge herd. But unless ODNR can get the numbers down, there will be a massive 'die-out ' as well.
Old September 8, 2013, 10:46 AM   #61
cornbush

I find it plenty challenging just to hunt on public land most of the time.
Old September 8, 2013, 01:08 PM   #62
sc928porsche

Most muzzle load seasons are earlier and are for muzzle loading rifles only. General rifle season is a bit later, but as I understand the general rifle season, you can use your muzzle loader. Easy way to be sure is to check with your DFG.