The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 3, 2013, 09:26 PM   #1
DavidB2

Best holster for 1911?

Curious about the best holster for my new 1911. It is a Remington R1. I would like to get a holster; but would like suggestions. I am leaning towards either the old style WWII flap holster or sling holster with the pistol hanging under my right arm. I am not too big on the blackhawk style holsters as I am old school. I don't think that I will go concealed carry with this pistol. I also want something that I can take as back up when hunting/hiking. Any thoughts on holster suggestions. Perhaps others may have found the blackhawk type holsters to their liking.
Old January 3, 2013, 10:35 PM   #2
lamarw

This is not what you are describing, but I will try to change your thinking.

It was made by Simply Rugged.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1911 Holster 1.jpg (157.2 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg 1911 Holster 2.jpg (171.6 KB, 126 views)
Old January 3, 2013, 10:44 PM   #3
lamarw

This is closer to what you are describing. It is an original holster for an M1911. You might stumble across one on eBay.

This one shows a lot of character wear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1911 Holster 3.jpg (126.1 KB, 123 views)
Old January 4, 2013, 12:52 AM   #4
ClydeFrog

GI type holsters, leather or nylon....

For the 1911a1 pistols, you can find a few military holsters in leather or milspec nylon.
The old style GI flap rig is no longer issued but a few custom shops still make it. Check with El Paso Saddlery or maybe Mernickle. I'm left handed & didn't like the low position of the holster(I used it in 1990 while on active duty in Korea).
The Bianchi UM92 or milspec M12, made for the M9 9mmNATO could do very well. The holsters come in black, OD, woodland camo, digital camo. You can also modify the holster to carry it; SAS-drop leg, crossdraw, shoulder, chest(tanker).
The M12 has a removable flap too. The only - of the Bianchi holsters I'd say is the sharp metal attachments that may dig into your side. Ouch.

Clyde
www.bianchi-intl.com
Old January 4, 2013, 02:22 AM   #5
KyJim

I have a Simply Rugged holster for a Colt Cobra I sometimes carry. They are well made, reasonably priced, and versatile. You can carry as a regular pancake style, outside the waistband (OWB) and, with the purchase of the optional waistband straps, you can carry concealed inside the waistband (IWB). You can also buy the Chesty Puller Harness for a shoulder holster rig (not concealed). Check out this page and click the small photos to see the different options. http://shop.simplyrugged.com/ecommer...155&parent=669
Old January 4, 2013, 01:04 PM   #6
BigJimP

I prefer Kramer leather holsters... he has a variety of styles...

http://kramerleather.com/

I have both IWB and Scabbard holsters from Kramer...horsehide - with the forward FBI tilt. Depends on how much you want it concealed when you're hiking or whatever...

I will carry a revolver in the woods sometimes ....and once in a while in a shoulder holster...especially if I'm fly fishing and wading a lot to keep it up out of the way ....

but if you want the old military style ...shop at your local gunshows...
Old January 4, 2013, 05:26 PM   #7
lamarw

Agree, Kramer makes some very nice holsters. I have two of their horse hide IWBs. One for my Beretta 92 and one for my Sig P250 full size .45. It is almost like they are molded to fit.
Old January 4, 2013, 06:20 PM   #8
dgludwig

Quote:
The Bianchi UM92 or milspec M12,
That's the one I'd recommend for your stated purposes.
Old January 4, 2013, 07:12 PM   #9
BigJimP

Kramers holsters are molded to fit specific models...thats why they fit so well. 1911's with rails, or some with full length dust covers...will need different models of Kramer holsters...although I carry a variety of more standard 4" or 5" 1911's in one of two standard 1911 holsters I have, one IWB and one scabbard. It depends which 1911 you have ...like a Sig 1911 will not fit a standard 1911 Kramer holster..

They are also designed to stay "open" so you can reinsert a gun in the holster one handed...so it doesn't collapse on you after you draw the gun. That's a really big deal...
Old January 4, 2013, 07:50 PM   #10
ozarkrecluse

I would recommend http://www.purdygear.com/1911.html .

I just ordered this one. Without the belt.