The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 16, 2014, 06:28 PM   #1
gyvel

Range report on ATI 1911

My LGS had a sole remaining American Tactical Imports 1911 from a multiple stock order at a blowout price of $400.00 OTD. Since, much like Cheapshooter, I can't resist a bargain, I gave it a pretty close once-over (having learned a hard lesson on a previous "bargain" Turk 1911), and decided to buy it.

It went to the "range" yesterday (actually the BLM land next to my home) and I am pleased to report that it fired almost 500 rounds without so much as a hiccup. The ammo included a mixed bag of Wolf steel case, some older Remington FMJ, some 230 gr. LRN, some WW white box, some 185 SWC reloads and (of all things) some DGFM Argentine made .45 surplus all of which was laying around and needed to be shot up.

My overall impression of this gun is that it is definitely fitted and finished a tad better than Armscor RIA products; It just looks more "refined," and the grips are nicely checkered dark wood (almost looks like walnut, (but I'm not an Asian wood expert) like a 1930s Colt, instead of the plain, uncheckered grips on an Armscor.

The American Tacticals are made by Shooter's Arms Manufacturing of Cebu City, Cebu, Philippines, and are Armscor's main competitor.

I have had the privilege of looking at Shooter's Arms products in their outlet stores on my trips to the Philippines, and have been able to examine close-up the spare parts they offer for sale for their 1911s. The parts were very nicely cast, very fell-finished, but, unfortunately, also very expensive compared to the U.S. (Example: I was going to buy a Commander type hammer, but the peso equivalent turned out to be almost $58.00, so I passed.)

After the shooting session yesterday, I completely dismantled it for a thorough cleaning and found almost no machining marks or evidence of hand filing anywhere; In fact, internal working surfaces were very near glass-like, and ALL the internal parts were very precisely made. (I assume all parts are either cast or MIM.) To be honest, I was very surprised, since I expected to find more than what leftover machine marks were inside.

My only complaints about the gun are that the trigger has some creep before hammer release, and that my wrist is sore today, 'coz I haven't shot a .45 that much in years. Also, the Italian 8-round mag has the typical MecGar extension on the bottom, but that is easily remedied with another mag. Never failed to feed, though.

I am suitably impressed with this cheapo, and while I think Armscors are also a pretty good choice for an el cheapo .45, the Shooter's Arms product is a slight cut above them.

And Lord knows they are light years ahead of the garbage Regent R100s from Turkey.

As always: YMMV
SIFE

Last edited by gyvel; August 16, 2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old August 16, 2014, 06:47 PM   #2
UZO

Had a couple ATIs (Gov't & Commander) a few years back, and they were flawless shoots for that $300+, tho alittle finicky with stock mags, went to Chip McCormicks and ZERO problems.
Agree... if your looking in the $350+ range for a 1911, Armscor/Rock Island and ATI are the way to go!