The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 13, 2010, 05:14 PM   #1
270winforlife

Lazzeroni 7mm numbers...

I always knew that Lazzeronis were faster than the competition, but never took the time to punch the numbers into a ballistic program. The other day I plugged the numbers in from LAzzeroni's reloading data (starting loads....not the max) and found that if someone were to use the 7mm caliber for elk hunting w/140 grain partition, they could aim dead on the elk up to 400 yards and only about 6 inches low at 500 yards, with the mid trajectory no more than 3.9 inches high. My guess is, that if you factored in the max load, you may very well be able to aim dead on the elk up to and including 500 yards with the 7mm bullets. Yes, those barrels have a bad reputation as burners, but one must admit that it opens up avenues no other manufacturer has offered. I've elk hunted before and know that 4 inches high or low of the aiming point, is still a deadly shot.
Old February 14, 2010, 02:24 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Yes, those barrels have a bad reputation as burners, but one must admit that it opens up avenues no other manufacturer has offered.
Like pulling the shot, and being 3+ MOA off?

Like the larger bore Hawk Cartridges?

Like encouraging unethical shots? --"Well, if I'm only 6 inches low at 500 yards... I can pull 3 feet high at 800, right?"

Oops... I forgot about windage... I hope he didn't need that kidney...

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I just don't see the need for that kind of cartridge. My Elk hunting provides opportunities for shots from 50 yards to 800 yards. Anything under 250-300 is passed up.

If the Elk aren't spooked at 500 yards - you can probably close the gap to 200.

If you want to change the arguments to fit competition shooting, that's fine. But, for big game, I don't see the need. A good hunter doesn't need a "better" rifle.
Old February 14, 2010, 12:15 PM   #3
270winforlife

agreed.....but the numbers are still impressive, maybe a varmint hunter would benefit more than a seasoned elk hunter
Old February 14, 2010, 02:45 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Yea. I will concede: The numbers are impressive.
Old February 15, 2010, 06:39 PM   #5
270winforlife

ahhh man you gave up too easy for Mauser fan...kidding, neither of us will ever buy a Lazzeroni because we're good enough to shoot 300 yards with open sights if need be