The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 31, 2009, 03:04 PM   #1
TurkeyHunter4ever

Best "Non Toxic" Field Load?

I will be hunting Quail and Pheasant on a waterfowl preserve this fall. The basic requirement is non toxic shot. All that I am finding is magnum loads for waterfowl (YIPES - Quailburger).

Anyone know of the best INEXPENSIVE available non toxic field loads?
The purpose of fighting is to Win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more Important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The Final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. (Author unknown)
Old July 31, 2009, 09:33 PM   #2
johnbt

How about something like this for quail and then something in a #3 or so maybe going a little faster for the bigger birds.

Federal Target 12 Ga. 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz, #7 Steel Shot $7.22 per 25

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=73500
Old August 1, 2009, 06:22 PM   #3
jrothWA

what age the shotgun?

That will determine the shot to use.

any double-barrel, etc, should use the Bismuth in that type gun.

Contact the manufacturer if in doubt.
Old August 1, 2009, 08:09 PM   #4
johnbt

I don't believe small steel shot like #5 or #7 will bridge any choke and cause a problems. The real problems occur when you start using BB size and such, although I've hunted with lots of people who did it with old guns and never blew a barrel. I tried to stay as far away from them as the blind or boat would allow.

As far as "any" double needing Bismuth (at $3 or $4 a shot), clearly that isn't the case. For example, www.rblshotgun.com/rbl12.htm plainly states that steel is okay.

"The CZ-USA shotguns with barrels configuration made as double barrelled ... These shotguns can be shot with shells containing lead and also steel pellets. ...
http://www.czub.cz/zbrojovka/cz-manu...hotguns_en.pdf "

The Marlin made L.C. Smith O/U are not guaranteed for steel shot if you shoot chokes tighter than Modified.

And so on. Barrel scoring doesn't seem to be nearly the problem it was before they improved the plastic wad cups years ago.

John
Old August 1, 2009, 11:50 PM   #5
TurkeyHunter4ever

I started using my sporting clays gun in the field a couple seasons ago. Even with the longer barrels I am far more comfortable with it than others I have. It is a Winchester Select Energy Sporting O/U with 32" barrels. About 2 1/2 years old now.

It is essentially a Browning, built in the Belgian FN plant. I dearly love it! I will be using IC chokes.
The purpose of fighting is to Win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more Important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The Final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. (Author unknown)
Old August 4, 2009, 07:21 AM   #6
archer1988

Anyone know of the best INEXPENSIVE available non toxic field loads?
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=73500