The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 5, 2011, 05:39 AM   #1
model18

Old Rifle ID Please

This old gun is unmarked except for a 4 digit serial # . It is centerfire and appears to be around a .25 , bore is in great shape despite the external rust. internal box magazine, The guts of the bolt are missing.

Any help ID'ing this rifle will be greatly appreciated!
Old October 5, 2011, 06:24 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

It appears to be a completely trashed late model Japanese Arisaka in 6.5x50.

It looks distinctly as if it has been through a fire.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 5, 2011, 06:30 AM   #3
model18

no down in a basement!! I didn't really think it was a military rifle, when I looked at it, but I'm sure you're right. A wall hanger, I suppose.
Old October 5, 2011, 09:02 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Definitely a military rifle with the stock cut back.

The tells are the straight bolt handle, the amputated stock, and the military-style ladder rear sight.

Old October 5, 2011, 09:09 AM   #5
model18

there was something really simplistic and "cheap" about it and I figured a "boys" rifle in .25 Rem or something, but the mil thing works the more I look it over. My friend bought an old house and it was in the basement, so he brought it over to me to ID, but with no markings and me being no expert I turned to the forum. Thanks for the info, Mike!!!
Old October 5, 2011, 09:29 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

I bet there are markings under all that schmutz. Try taking some 0000 steel wood and some light oil and gently rubbing the usual areas where you'd find markings. I bet you'll turn something up.

Old October 5, 2011, 02:32 PM   #7
natman

On top of everything else, it appears to be missing the bolt internal parts.
Old October 5, 2011, 02:43 PM   #8
model18

yes that's mentioned in my original post. even if the bolt parts were available I wouldn't shoot it!
Old October 5, 2011, 04:28 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't think it is a "real" Japanese rifle; I think it is a training rifle, originally made for the Japanese equivalent of High School ROTC to shoot blanks. I would guess that when the person who brought it back from the Pacific, or perhaps someone he sold it to, found out what it was, it was just abandoned.

In support of that, the bolt appears to have no locking lugs, the trigger guard and floorplate appear to be a single piece of stamped steel, and the stock is one piece rather than the two piece stock used in almost all Japanese service rifles of that general era.

I suspect the bolt parts were taken out to prevent the rifle from being fired, which would be dangerous.

Today, those training rifles are a mild collectible and have some value; unfortunately, due to its having been altered and allowed to rust, that one has little value, though it might bring $20 or so at a gun show.

Jim
Old October 5, 2011, 04:35 PM   #10
model18

thanks, james k that makes alot of sense. it is so cheaply made, it's not even funny. I have seen and held a few Ariska's over the years and this one just didn't look right.
Old October 5, 2011, 09:25 PM   #11
Old 454

Arisakas were not know for there quality especially later in the war, you might look on the barrel to see if the Japanese Imperial marking has been filed off so that in the Japanese eyes there were now of no value.

Later in the war butt plates were of wood and were nailed into the stock.

If you are interested in old military rifles a Mosin Nagant can be had for about $100.00 and if the gun shop that you make your purchase at will let you look through there inventory you can find some mighty fine rifles!
Old October 5, 2011, 10:11 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

First, it is not a Type 38 or a Type 99, even a late war model. The receiver opening and magazine are far too small for either the 6.5 or 7.7 cartridge. Further, even the last production Type 99's had the standard bolt, with locking lugs on the front and a standard extractor. The opening is large enough for the 6.5 blank cartridge, which is one reason I tagged it as a training rifle, though cruder than most I have or have seen.

But after doing some checking, I think it possible that that rifle could be a "last ditch" rifle. By that I mean not a late Type 99 (like Old 454 refers to), but one made for the 8mm Nambu pistol cartridge. There were several designs and I don't have one so I am going by pictures, but there is some resemblance, especially in the stamped trigger guard. There were not many made, though, and I have only seen two, neither of which looked exactly like that one.

Neither a training rifle nor a "last ditch" would have a "mum" on the receiver, so it would not have been ground off. The bluing and finish, under the rust, look too good to be on a "last ditch" rifle, so I'll stick with a training rifle for the moment.

Maybe someone more expert can help.

Jim
Old October 6, 2011, 02:32 PM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

There is a possibility that that is a true "last ditch" rifle, chambered for the 8mm Nambu pistol cartridge. And if it is, it is far from worthless. I recommend you take it to a gunsmith and have a chamber cast made. Then compare it to an 8mm pistol cartridge. If none is available, it would be close to a 7.62 Russian pistol cartridge (7.63 Mauser) or a .30 Luger cartridge. (Neither would be the right cartridge, but the 8mm Nambu is a bottle neck pistol round of the same type, so you can get an idea.) If the gun is chambered for something else, get the dimensions of the chamber and we will try to help.

Jim
Old October 7, 2011, 04:55 PM   #14
model18

I can get my pinky finger in the chamber??? The box mag looks too big for a pistol cartridge like the 8mm Nambu, but then again, I'm no expert.
Old October 7, 2011, 07:18 PM   #15
James K
Member In Memoriam

Thing is that the gun is in very poor condition and if a training rifle would have little value. But those "last ditch" rifles in 8mm Nambu are real scarce and IMHO would bring a few bucks even in poor shape. The bolt face looks to me like it is too small for the 6.5 or 7.7 rifle cartridges but it is hard to tell from the pictures.

All the training rifles I have seen have full length actions and, again from the pictures, that rifle seems to have a short action.

Jim
Old October 10, 2011, 05:31 AM   #16
model18

the bore is also smaller than 8mm. the barrel is rifled, but even if it was complete I wouldn't think of shooting it! The Japanese surely had a different mindset, that it was the man and not the weapon that made the soldier.