The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 7, 2006, 01:23 AM   #1
bclark1

Landowner Provisions by State?

Hey everybody,

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a comprehensive list of the various states' landowner provisions with respect to having to purchase hunting license at all, or having to pay inflated, nonresident prices in spite of the fact that you are a taxpayer and the damn deer are eating your plants and veggies anyway. I'm tired of Wisconsin charging me $200 a year to shoot one deer on my family property, and I've brought it up before, but it occured that it might be persuasive to see just how common it is for landowners to get a break if they're nonresidents. I noticed this because I'm not a resident where I am in Ohio now, and while I was reading the DNR pages I noticed landowners do not need to pay for licenses for many seasons, whether or not they are residents. Wish Wisconsin was so equitable. I'll compile the list if it doesn't exist, probably, but I figured why do the work twice if somebody's heard of something similar.
Old November 7, 2006, 08:52 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Most (all?) state game departments have websites, where you can find all the rules and regs and information about fees. Try Google.

SFAIK, though, the deal is you're either a resident or a non-resident. Ownership of property only means you have access to hunting.

Art
Old November 7, 2006, 11:36 AM   #3
taylorce1

Here in Colorado even if you are given the Voucher for a landowner permit you still have to pay full price for the tag when you pick it up from DOW. Here as well landowner tags are not a guarntee, you still apply for a draw to get your tags. Landowners max out at 6 tags as well regardless of how many acers they own above 3000. You must own 320 acres of half section to even be able to apply for one landowner tag, more land more tags. Landowners can only apply for animals that are normaly on their land, so like on my fathers all we can apply for is deer and pronghorn. Another stipulation for landowner vouchers is you must allow other hunters access to your property who don't have the vouchers.
Old November 7, 2006, 12:20 PM   #4
bclark1

Yeah, that was my plan, to go around the DNR websites and pick it all up. Not sure if there was one.

I just think it's ridiculous to own a big chunk of land with a very nice house on it and pay a heck of a lot of taxes with so little to show for it. You'd think they'd afford a little respect, seeing as we're also paying for (for example) school districts kids can't attend as nonresidents either. If you're just a vacationer I understand the premium, but gouging people who have an investment in the state that rivals that of the vast majority of the state's population just seems unfair.
Old November 8, 2006, 09:20 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Gotta figure your priorities. Change your legal residence; visit Cleveland. It's just paper.

, Art
Old November 8, 2006, 09:48 AM   #6
FirstFreedom

Like the man said, you're either a resident or a non-resident...depends on where you actually reside. BUT, if your family owns the land, AND you can show that the deer are hitting the family crops, someone in the fam ought to be able to apply for a depredation permit, and then you can use that. But that depends, state by state. Like Art said, if you go to each state's game dept website, you can see the non-resident fees for licenses to hunt. If you make a big spreadsheet please put it on a website and link us to it; thanks.
Old November 9, 2006, 09:36 AM   #7
bclark1

But I want it all!