The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 7, 2000, 09:00 AM   #1
posigian

I am preparing to dive into the world of reloading. However, I currently have a space issue to deal with. So I need to keep my bench options small and\or portable.

What I would like to know is: has anyone had experance with the Portable Reloading Bench sold by Midway?

Midways May catalog, page 17?

Does this portable bench offer enough stability to work from?

Thanks to all that reply,
Posigian

------------------
Posigian
[email protected]
I AM THE NRA
Old June 7, 2000, 11:06 AM   #2
KilgorII

I live in an apartment and I've got a Rock Chucker on one. Works fine. Obviously not as stable as being bolted to a 300 lb. workbench, but it is plenty stable none the less. It is good because i can bring it out into the living room when I want to reload and lock it and my other supplies in the closet when I'm not. I put it in the closet because I don't want the landlord to know about it. There is a clause in my lease that says I can't do anything that would increase the risk of fire. I don't think storing powder falls under this because it won't spontaneously explode, but people can be dumb about things. Anyway, I think I've gone a little off topic. It will work fine, just be sure to get 4 of the blue bins that go on the side, you will use them.

Old June 7, 2000, 01:12 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

I'll vouch for the Midway reloading stand also. I was looking for something that could be used in the field. Based on comments from others here (do a search and you'll find some old threads on this), I bought one. When I first put it together, I said to myself, "this will never work, it's too wobbly and just a press fit on the base and too much plastic." I was wrong, as KilgorII said, it isn't like bolting it to a sturdy bench, but it works well.
Old June 7, 2000, 06:58 PM   #4
johnwill

I have a Black & Decker Workmate, and it's probably more stable than the Midway unit. It also doubles as an wood vice when you're not reloading.
Old June 8, 2000, 11:20 AM   #5
posigian

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply to my question. I have received several suggestions on the Wookmate and I think that is what I am going to do! Besides, I am sure I can find several other uses for a workmate

Posigian