The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 20, 2006, 04:29 PM   #1
USNavy_233

Tax return time, which shotty should I buy?

Posting the same thing over at sigforum but I wanted to "diversify" my opinion pool. So, I've wanted to pick up a quality skeet/trap gun at a good price for a little while now. With the income tax return right around the corner I've decided to get serious about my purchase. I've decided that I want a semi-auto 12GA. I'm still torn between wood, and black synthetic. However I want a quality shotgun (quality meaning reliability at the right price). So, for all you shotgun enthusiasts, what do you think about these options? I think the Benellis and the Franchis are still beyond my budget for my first skeet gun. Thanks much.
-Walt

Choices:
Remington
Winchester
Verona
Browning
Beretta
Old January 20, 2006, 05:01 PM   #2
johnbt

I'm waiting to see the new Browning Golds and Win SX3's, but they're going to be expensive if they ever get here. Yesterday I asked about a projected delivery date at Green Top on Route 1 and got a chuckle - "We're still waiting on some of the old models we ordered last year."

Meanwhile, as of noon yesterday, GT has one 12 ga. and one 20 ga. Remington 1100 SKEET DEMO GUN that they acquired from Rem. They'd been shot by a group of writers and looked like new - still glossy, clean and with the box. The wood on the 12 ga. was very nice and the wood on the 20 ga. was so nice that I'm still thinking about buying it for the heck of it and I don't shoot skeet. Might make a good quail and dove gun.

Either one...only $549. MSRP is $869 and they're on gunsamerica for $720.

John

P.S. - They have a nice B. Rizzini 32" bbl. tournament 12 ga. O/U for a mere $6700.

P.P.S. - If you decide on plastic there are a bunch of black synthetic 12 ga. 1100 28" bbl. guns kicking around from a few years ago when Wal-Mart cleared them out. Great guns at a great price.
Old January 20, 2006, 05:07 PM   #3
JohnBrowning

They have beretta autos at a local sporting goods shop for $500. It seems like in the autoloader world, benelli and beretta have the reliablility reputation of glock sig and HK handguns. I know for a fact that Remingtons jam a lot since I've shot a lot of them. Even with high brass, I've had cleaned and oiled remington autos jam on me. So it seems to me, if price is an issue, I'd get a beretta. Then again, I don't know anything about winchester autos, but if they are any good it might be cool to have one since they are going out of buisness.
Old January 20, 2006, 05:44 PM   #4
johnbt

If you've had a lot of Remington 1100s jamb I'd say you have had some bad luck. Berettas are great, I just don't like the way the 390/391 feels. Probably just not what I'm used to in terms of stock shape.

John
Old January 25, 2006, 10:58 PM   #5
.50cal packer

The best semi-auto shotgun, for my money anyway, is the superx2. It is one of the only shotguns that performs at all in rainy or extremely cold weather. They are cheaper than there Benelli or Franchi equivalent, or the Beretta 391.
I would recommend going with at least a 28" barrel, they do make sporting clay models, but for a nominal fee. Plus it didn't state that you were a hunter, but on the chance that you are, they are a light gun even with the wood stock, for the more traditional shooter. Try a 3" light field, as the name states it's light, quick and easy on the pocket book.
Old February 1, 2006, 01:23 PM   #6
Hauptmann6

the 1100 trap is VERY nice. But with all Remington autos you MUST keep them very clean. And they get dirty fairly fast.
Old February 1, 2006, 02:45 PM   #7
bclark1

with the winchester SX3's coming out, i imagine the SX2's are coming down in price. if you can find an SX2 i think it's about the best deal out there in semi-auto's. it's not even that cheap, but you get performance comparable to the italian jobs that cost a lot more.