The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 1, 2005, 06:45 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

How do you guys up North stay warm? Boots/socks question.

I ask because it doesn't get that cold here - a really cold day is low to mid-20's is all. And anyhow, after freezing last year, in the off-season I was determined not to get cold feet again, if nothing else, so I got a pair of Irish Setter Buck Trackers, oversized, with 1600 grams of thinsulate, and the best marino lambswool socks you can buy, and I was still a smidge cold in the feet area one day a few weeks back, even with other good clothes, gloves, headcovering, etc. When I bought the boots, the salesman assured me I'd not need anything over 600-800 grams of thinsulate 'round here. But in any event, these are very nice and comfortable boots; good tread; they seem like a lot of boot for $170-ish full retail.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=83064
Old December 1, 2005, 08:09 PM   #2
marmark

I live about ten miles from the canadian border and I use sorrels or whites pacs. (Sorel™ Caribou Pac Boots) I also use insulated Carhartts. THe coldest it got last year was -38F.

But most of the time I just send my wife out to wrestle some buck to the ground for me so I can stay all toastie warm by the fire.
Old December 1, 2005, 08:18 PM   #3
rapier144

+1 for sorel boots I'm from northern IL originally. Sorel boots were great when stand hunting got a little warm when pheasant hunting though.
Old December 1, 2005, 08:20 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

What, exactly, is the definition of a 'pac boot'? Thanks.
Old December 1, 2005, 08:34 PM   #5
Trip20

I use the LaCrosse Ice Kings. I live in north central Wisconsin. I wear these standing on a frozen lake for 14 hours and my toes never know that inches away it's –15f.

I also use them went hunting (if it's cold enough). They have a pretty wide track, which I like because it distributes my weight a little better on top of the snow or other debris. Don't plan on running a marathon in these puppies. They would also not be good for rock climbing.

Absolutely waterproof (I've fallen through a few ice holes in my day).
Old December 1, 2005, 08:36 PM   #6
Wildalaska

OK...

For everyday city use without deep snow cover(up to-10F) I wear sneakers or just my Teva sandals with socks. If it gets real snowy I switch to Danner Ft Lewsi boots with wool socks, which are what I use for hunting (with a silk sock liner)...

If real cold (ike below-10) I use Hodgman ICE KINGs with warm socks..these are the boots with the foam liners. Ive usde them in -45F and my tootsies were toasty

Many guys up here who snowmachine use Bunny Boots in case of wetness.

WildbromadrosisAlaska
Old December 1, 2005, 08:45 PM   #7
marmark

here's a link to cabelas
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...046&id=0027198
here's the pic of my wife wrestling a deer while I stayed all toastie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my wifes buck 05.JPG (77.6 KB, 150 views)
Old December 1, 2005, 09:39 PM   #8
HSMITH

Too much insulation is just as bad as too little. Your feet will sweat with too much insulation and dampen your socks, once damp NOTHING will keep your feet warm.......

For walking 200 grams of thinsulate is plenty, for sitting 600 is plenty for temps down to around -10. If you walk in any distance take a pair for walking and a clean dry pair with clean dry socks to put on for sitting when extremely cold.
Old December 1, 2005, 10:22 PM   #9
FirstFreedom

Quote:
for sitting 600 is plenty for temps down to around -10
So you say. And yet, I had cool, bordering on unpleasantly so (not cold) feet in around +30 with 1,600 grams, with other pretty decent color weather gear on. I don't get it - well, I am a skinny bugger - maybe that's why I need more... But thanks all. Hmm, shoulda got some of those Hodgman or Lacrosse Ice kings instead, for less $$ - doh!!

Lol - the bucktrackers are said to be rated to -135 deg F.

http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpa...g%2dins&offer=

But the Ice Kings to -150 deg F!

http://www.mckinneyhonda.com/sportin...11.html#600011

for $70 less (yes that noise you hear is me hitting my head against the wall).
Old December 1, 2005, 10:45 PM   #10
rwilson452

Staying warm

The key is as always. do it in layers.

If it's going to be below freezing I wear heavy cotton socks as wool has a bad effect on me, makes my feet sweat cold or not. I also put some of those toe warmers in my pocket. if I'm sitting still and start to feel the cold it only takes a minute to put them in. the trick is to do it at the first sign your toes are getting cold. Be sure your boots are waterproof or at least water resistant. this will keep the wind out. If it's really windy and I'm still hunting I have been known to cover my feet with brush/ leaves to cut the wind. Monday I was over dressed and just unzipped my coat and bibs until I was just right. My usual mode is to unzip and just wear a cap when humping up the hill but when I get to my special spot to sit and wait I zip up and raise my hood. you don't generate as much heat sitting as you do walking. I also walk slow and pause a lot so as to not over heat.
Old December 1, 2005, 10:48 PM   #11
VirgilCaine

Sorel Chieftan Pac Boots for the cold stuff. I use the low temp rated liners with run-of-the mill hunting sox, I never get cold feet. The trick is to leave a little room in the toe for a vapor barrier. If it's too tight in the toe you'll get cold no matter what. When I'm ice fishing and it really dips down (-20 and down) I wear a thin Gortex liner under 100% wool hunting sox.

Here's a trick from us Northern boys...put a thin layer of attic insulation under the sole of yer liner and boot. Ups yer R factor 100%.

I also think loose fitting sweats and long johns under yer bibs help. Tight pants, belts, and longies can cut off circulation to the feet and you'll get cold.
Old December 1, 2005, 11:06 PM   #12
Bic

Simple...Those Northern girls its the way they kiss they keep there boyfriends warm at night ....oooohhhh.......
Old December 1, 2005, 11:42 PM   #13
Trip20

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Freedom
But the Ice Kings to -150 deg F!
That's why I use them for ice fishing. The actual temp can be in the teens, single digits, or below zero... and with windchill weeeeeeeell below zero and I never, ever, have cold toes.

Just keep in mind they're not the best for hiking/climbing... but if your sitting still for long periods of time in the cold - they're perfect.
Old December 2, 2005, 01:33 AM   #14
Yoshi

michigan

I use good large size wool socks and mil spec Mickey Mouse (or bunny) boots.
they have insulation sandwiched between a inner rubber lining and the outer skin of the boot. No matter how wet your feet get they will be warm again in minutes. Your body heat will warm the water or moisture
Insulation won’t work if it’s damp or wet and because with these type boots the insulation can’t get wet it always insulates and you always stay warm
Been using the same pair for years and still work as good as day 1
They are a little tricky to drive in tho. But with a little practice it’s no trouble
Old December 2, 2005, 01:43 AM   #15
FrontSight

I get cold feet even when it's 70 out. OK, I exagerate...
But seriously, only one pair has kept me warm w/o any toe warmers: Ice Kings. Sooooo plush, so comfy, so warm, but way too big to walk around in much. So now I use Rocky 1600 AND cotton socks first, then wool socks over them, AND THEN toewarmers, and they are always nice & toasty now...def use the toewarmers, your feet will thank you.
Old December 2, 2005, 01:44 AM   #16
andrew165

advice from the north

I am from brandon manitoba (1.75hours north of the border) and what i use is a Dakota winter work boot that is rated for -100. If need be, wear extra pairs of heavy wool socks with a thin pair of cotton socks underneath. The wool sock soaks up any sweat from your feet, so if your feet do start to get cold you can just replace your wet wool socks with a new dry pair.
hope this helps
Old December 2, 2005, 01:53 AM   #17
Pointer

If your boots are too warm...

Your feet will sweat...

Then you will get cold because the wicking effect of the socks is limited...

Try a lighter sock in the new high tech materials... and make certain your toes have wiggle room... they will help keep each other warm.

Also, wear a pair of your wife's panty hose...

Many skiers and construction workers etc do this... or something similar, like tights... silk is still the best.
Old December 2, 2005, 02:57 AM   #18
Twycross

I think the socks are the key. I've been wearing SmartWools, and so far I've been fine in uninsulated boots. But then, again, I have always been naturally warm-blooded. If you are ever in Moscow ID, in the winter, and see a dude walking around through the snow and wind in a t-shirt, it's me.
Old December 2, 2005, 08:17 AM   #19
Trip20

It's a nippy one today boys! But I'll be ice-fishin' tonight!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg weather_120205.jpg (38.3 KB, 377 views)
Old December 2, 2005, 10:58 AM   #20
FirstFreedom

Scrap 5000, how much bigger of a boot size did you have to buy, over your normal size, to fit all that in there? For example, I wear either a 9.0 or 9.5 medium-width shoe. But I bought a 10.0 extra wide (D?) in the bucktracker 1600s for big socks and toe warmers. But I don't think it would be enough room for cotton socks AND wool socks AND toe warmers....so how many half sizes over normal did you have to go?

P.S. On the other hand, I think the tread and such on these bucktrackers do make them better for hiking up hills than say, those ice kings, even though they are not as warm.
Old December 2, 2005, 12:29 PM   #21
spacemanspiff

transplants like WA use hardcore gear and whine loudly about how bad the weather is.

us natives simply keep firewater in our blood.
Old December 2, 2005, 02:39 PM   #22
yorec

The Firewater/antifreeze solution just makes you "think" you're warmer... Course that is most people's problem anyway!

I work outside all year long and it gets cold here too. (-50 being common at least for a snap or two during the year) I just wear my regular work boots and a single pair of socks, no special prep at all. But for work, I keep moving - if I even stopped things would get mighty nippy at best. Miserable nights are when we end up standing around for awhile - glad to get moving to warm up again.

For times I do plan on staying still for extended periods, I wear Sorels and two pair of wool socks. Always been enough for me - good circulation, I guess!
Old December 2, 2005, 04:13 PM   #23
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The Firewater/antifreeze solution just makes you "think" you're warmer... Course that is most people's problem anyway!
I know Spiff's kidding (or I hope he is, for his sake), but alcohol more than doubles your chances of suffering hypothermia. Along with the illusion of being warm, it shuts down the body's shiver reflex. Shivering is the body's way of generating heat through rapidly contracting muscles when the core temperature becomes dangerously low. If you're only going to be exposed to low temperatures for a short time, a shot of brandy does make you feel cozy warm, but for longer periods, like when you're out hunting (no booze with guns anyhow), it's a dangerous practice.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old December 2, 2005, 06:40 PM   #24
FrontSight

FirstFreedom I was thinking the same thing as I wrote it

I'm a 9.5 normally...I'll check the sizes of each tonight and get back to you...
Old December 3, 2005, 02:04 AM   #25
Pointer

Also, make sure the socks and lacings are not interfering with blood circulation...