The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: What's your plan for out-of-ammo/ bad jam HD situations?
Spare mag available 31 53.45%
New York reload (grabbing another loaded gun) 30 51.72%
If they can survive a whole magazine being shot at them, they can take what they want 14 24.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 10, 2005, 03:34 PM   #1
IZinterrogator

When the SHTF in a HD situation

I was just curious how everyone else plans on handling reloads if necessary during a HD situation. I have two spare mags for my primary HD gun, plus another handgun with two spare mags, a shotgun, and an M4 close by (no, I'm not planning for an entire street gang doing a B&E on my house, the long guns are just kept five feet away in the closet). So how do you plan on handling the situation? Multiple choices are allowed.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old October 10, 2005, 03:47 PM   #2
blackmind

Until I do some gun cleaning, I don't currently have a dedicated home defense gun readily available. I do keep my CCW GLOCK 27 close at hand while out and about, and also at home. Spare 15 round mag, too.

I guess I just figure that even in a HD situation, I will probably not face something that can't be dealt with by using the 9+1 in the gun, followed by 15 more.

-blackmind
Old October 10, 2005, 03:49 PM   #3
leadcounsel

I did not vote because the answer is "It depends." If it's a "Bad Jam" then a spare mag isn't going to do any good, so I would grab a backup gun. If I'm outta ammo, then it depends on how much time I have and whether I think my primary gun is sufficient. For instance, gunfight opens in part of my house and I run out of ammo getting back to my safe room where my other guns are stored. Do I need a different gun or is the gun I'm using sufficient. Did I orignally pick up my .40 to investigate what I thought were racoons but turns out to be a whole gang of burglars so I have to retreat to get my AR15?

I don't like the quesiton because there are just too many variables.

I don't intend on hijacking this thread, but I think the better question might be "what gun(s) do you keep immediately handy and how much ammo."

To answer that question, I have any of the following immediately handy: Glock 35 .40 with 31 shots, and a box of 50 loose rounds and two more empty mags; a .357 4" with 7 shots and a box of 50 rounds; a 12 guage pump with 5+6 and a bandolere of mixed slugs and 00; and an AR15 with countless mags. I can get to any of these rather quickly, and one instantaneously. A pistol would be my choice to immediately defend myself until I can get the rifle/shotgun which takes only moments.
Old October 10, 2005, 04:23 PM   #4
gb_in_ga

"I don't intend on hijacking this thread, but I think the better question might be "what gun(s) do you keep immediately handy and how much ammo.""

I guess that was what the original intent of the post was, since the poll wasn't a "radio button" group but a "check box" group, and he did specify that multiple choices were allowed. I selected the first 2 on the list.

As for your "better question", I feel that is a good enough one that it rates it's own answer.

With me: Bersa .380 w/ 1 extra mag. At night this goes in an unlocked case under my side of the bed, accessable as a night-time backup. There are another 2 mags of FMJ in an accessable drawer. Total ammo: 8 rounds in gun, 21 rounds in 3 extra mags.

My bedside table: S&W 686 w/ 2 extra speedloaders. Total ammo: 6 rounds in gun, 12 rounds in 2 speedloaders.

Wife's bedside table: S&W 422 (.22 lr) w/ 1 extra mag. Total ammo: 11 rounds in gun, 10 rounds in 1 extra mag. I figure this is what the wife uses to back me up.

Yes, all of my guns are loaded and have extra ammo readily available in spare mags/speedloaders. I can either do a mag switch (or reload from speedloader) or just switch guns, as the situation dictates. And I'm not even counting the ammo that is not "ready", but in boxes -- were this a real long term SHTF situation I'd have to count that as well, let's just say that I've got a pretty good stockpile of ammo on hand for all of them.

No, there are no kids in the house, therefore I'm not worried about them getting ahold of any of the loaded guns.
Old October 10, 2005, 06:51 PM   #5
Hollywood D

I keep my xd on the bedside table with the mag in it. I don't keep a spare on close by. Actually my spare one isn't even loaded.
Old October 10, 2005, 07:00 PM   #6
XavierBreath

Stored about my home at any given time are four loaded shotguns. Two or three loaded handguns. I'll do the NY Reload.

Heck, I gotta take him out to prevent him from getting one of those guns!
Old October 10, 2005, 07:56 PM   #7
alpineman

Spare mag, since my M4gery and HD are semi-autos, and I've learned (read sometime on this forum) that semi-auto problems tend to be mag related.

Both weapons are by the bed at night, and the pistol stays on my hip during the day. Spare mag(s) always available.
Old October 10, 2005, 08:29 PM   #8
Lee Lapin

House guns carry reloads on board (shotguns in sidesaddles, AR in an Uncle Mike's buttstock magazine carrier). Handguns only have what they are loaded with.

Reload, heck- transition!

lpl/nc
Old October 10, 2005, 08:40 PM   #9
threefivesevenmag

soon.

I want a shotgun in the bedroom but right now I only have pistols/revolvers.

I actually enjoy the revolver as my bedside gun with one speedloader. I have a my 642 loaded and nearby the nightstand in another accessible location. I also have the .380 loaded up and in a closet for easy access.

I think my ideal HD set up would be:

1 primary revolver...larger bore in .357 mag or 45 ACP. 1 speedloader. My 642 also in my arms reach. I currently load both of my revolvers with .38 +P 135 gr. Gold Dot and 125 gr. Remington Golden Sabers. I would still also like a shotgun within reach.

1 auto pistol available for girlfriend's access.

Also by my bedside would be a surefire light or maglight and my cellphone. Oh yeah...and a glass of water.
Old October 10, 2005, 09:00 PM   #10
LiveWire

Unless you're holed up somewhere and BG has plenty of time to spare, resolve to get what he wants in a hail of bullets, and ammo up the yin-yang (most BGs don't), few HD scenarios will require you to exhaust your primary weapon. A few shots and it's all over. No detentes. No reloads. Either BG splits or lay where he fell -- or you do.

As of this writing, I own five semiautos, one revolver, a rifle and a shotgun. The way I see it, only one situation would "reasonably" require me to keep more than one weapon - my CCW - loaded all at once; and that is The Night Of The Living Dead.

Well, maybe if there was a full-blown riot going on in the street and all these madcaps were gushing in through my windows...

But then, considering where I live, zombies are a more likely danger.
Old October 10, 2005, 09:08 PM   #11
gb_in_ga

"...But then, considering where I live, zombies are a more likely danger."

Unfortunately, where I live, they aren't. Multi-BG home invasions of the violent variety are not unheard of around here.
Old October 10, 2005, 09:20 PM   #12
LiveWire

Do you know of any case in The Armed Citizen involving a reload or a switching of guns? Any case at all?

I don't argue against spare mags. If anything, they give you peace of mind. But in most cases multiple loaded weapons are redundant.

My 2 cents.
Old October 10, 2005, 09:27 PM   #13
bdc

take a deep breath

I was just curious how everyone else plans on handling reloads if necessary during a Home Defense situation.

Don't you think that a simple solution is to buy more spare magazines for your primary handgun and for the other firearms? Having to run from one to the other in the bedroom doesn't make sense, does it?

You walk over to the closet. A handgun loaded is on the shelf. Next to it are a pile of loaded magazines for that gun. You scoop some up.

Then you use some imagination.

It is simplier to buy more rounds and fix bullet holes, right?

Do you really have to see people breaking and entering?

Do you have to play a musical instrument (like a trumpet) and yell warnings?

Just start firing. You don't have to have a target. You have already posited (that means "said") that it is a breaking and entering situation, right? Why would anyone want to come into your bedroom when you have just unloaded 13 rounds from your Glock 23, 33 rounds from your super high cap Glock 9mm mag or whatever?

I am not joking about the foregoing.

Once I had an instructor go to the range with me. I put two BGs in a house, drew the walls and had a doorway. Starting at 25 yards, I asked the instructor to clear the house. So, he, having watched a whole bunch of movies, runs up to the house, inches along and then conventionally clears at the doorway.

I then ran the course. I started at 25 yards and walked at 25 yards. I cleared from 25 yards. I can shoot and clear from 25 yards.

I then gave an alternative.

I ran up to the house, inched along the wall to near the doorway. Then I emptied my magazine in the pistol through the wall.

The moral of this response is that you use your noodle.

Think I am too harsh? A fellow classmate, wearing a vest, died on a tactical entry. The guy behind him, wearing a vest, died on a tactical entry. Unfortunately, the BG inside knew how tactical entries were done.

Use your noodle!

Have you been under fire? There is a lot of difference betwen shooting with earmuffs on and without them on. Anyone who thinks that he is going to be cool, calm and collected under stress and without earmuffs has another thought coming.
Old October 10, 2005, 09:47 PM   #14
LiveWire

Quote:
Just start firing. You don't have to have a target.
Gawk!!!

Rule #4 blatantly broken again. {Cringe}

That ain't usin' yer noodle.
Old October 10, 2005, 10:40 PM   #15
gb_in_ga

"I don't argue against spare mags. If anything, they give you peace of mind. But in most cases multiple loaded weapons are redundant."

For the most part, you are right about the redundancy thing. But, when the stakes are that high (and they are), redundancy is a good thing. In this case -- where retreat is not really possible -- it is better to have the redundant firearms and not need them than it is to need them and not have them. It is unlikely that even 1 will ever need to be used -- but not impossible, and not impossible that there would be a failure with it and a backup be needed. Especially since gang style home invasions are not unheard of around here.
Old October 10, 2005, 11:06 PM   #16
sm

Transition.
Old October 11, 2005, 12:19 AM   #17
Avizpls

I voted "spare" and "iof they can take...." because I have the 30 rounder loaded (and a spare in the buttstock), and alternativly, I have two 7rndrs for the 45.

I have both at ready, because, lets face it. If im not SURE its worth it, Im not lugging a large weapon around cuz the cat knocked over some crap. Ill take the 45 to make sure. But if I here talking, doors, and footsteps, well-there is no mistaking that. It becomes worth it to take the 30+30 rounds.
Old October 11, 2005, 10:14 PM   #18
IZinterrogator

Well, the idea was that one mag or cylinder was all you planned to use, and if you couldn't neutralize the threat with that one mag, you were going to give up the armed response (maybe resort to fisticuffs? Or something like that). Sorry I wasn't clearer at the beginning. If I had been, people might not have picked A or B + C.

Edit: Revolver folks, I should have specified spare magazine or speedloader. Sorry to discriminate against ya'll, especially since I plan on joining your ranks in the near future.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old October 12, 2005, 01:33 PM   #19
T.Stahl

If the first 19rd mag of 9x19 didn't suffice: [x] Spare mag available
If first gun jams: [x] New York reload (grabbing another loaded gun)
(While yelling "STOPPAGE!" and letting my brother cover me while I get another gun from my locker)
Old October 12, 2005, 02:28 PM   #20
leadcounsel

BDC:

In a residential area or an area where there are likely bystanders on the other side of walls, I think it's a VERY BAD legal and ethical stance to take to just start shooting through walls. And it contradicts not needing extra ammo too b/c you'll waste a lot of shots.

'nuff said.
Old October 12, 2005, 03:04 PM   #21
Mike Irwin
Staff

Switch to one of my other guns.

I have a shotgun in the bedroom.

If I shoot that one dry, I got to my nightstand gun.

If I shoot that one dry, I normally have my carry gun in my jeans on the clothes tree.
Old October 12, 2005, 08:00 PM   #22
detructo4130

How does a bull-pup rifle sound something like a berretta cx-4 in .45acp that would probably be pretty good, but for right now its 17rounds of 9mm followed up by 17 rounds of .380
Old October 12, 2005, 08:16 PM   #23
joab

3 1911s and/or 4 pump guns nearby.
I guess I'm a New York kinda guy.
Old October 13, 2005, 12:57 PM   #24
Double Naught Spy

If my gun goes down, for whatever reason, that is likely the worst thing that can happen for the bad guy(s) as my wife will continue the fight with the shotgun. She doesn't like shooting the shotgun and prefers making as few shots as possible and she makes it possible by good shot placement. There are few folks I would want behind me with a shotgun, but my wife is at the top of the list.

With all that said, I have spare mags for the AR and 1911s. Running out of ammo should not be a significant issue.

When the wife backs you up with a shotgun, I believe that is called a Trailer Park Reload.

As for the query about the Beretta CX4 from destructo4130, the Beretta CX4 Storm is not a bullpup. It is just a carbine. Plus, Beretta isn't making anything in the way of a high cap mag for it. I don't know about after market, but I am sure you won't find anything like any 30s just yet.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; October 13, 2005 at 05:27 PM.