The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old April 20, 2005, 12:34 PM   #51
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Well bless your heart, and give up the 231 as a powder recommendation with cartridges that it is not appropriate for, which is most of them that use a magnum case!"

Ah, yes, those pesky, pesky, loading manual manufacturers, recommending powders that they know just aren't suited for a particular cartridge.

What a load of BS if I've ever heard it.

Not appropriate and not the best choice are two completely different things, but as with many of your other "recommendations," you've shown a singular inability to recognize that.

But, tell us, oh wizardly sage of the handloading press and share with us your infalliable reasoning as to why 231 isn't "appropriate" as a light- to medium-load powder for 231.

Your humble servants await your wisdom as a dog waits for crumbs from its master's table.

Christ...
Old April 20, 2005, 12:37 PM   #52
Mike Irwin
Staff

Now why would you EVER do something so inappropriate as to post inapproinformation information that has inappropriate powder choices for an inappropriate bullet in an inappropriate caliber, inappropriate Leftoverdj?

Don't you know how inappropriate that is?

As I've said numerous times, Redhawk, 231 is a fine powder for light to moderate handloads in .41 Magnum.

Is it going to give you top power? No, it won't. It gives you good practice, bowling pin, and falling plate loads that don't use a lot of powder and which won't eat your hands alive.

Don't buy the "not appropriate" line of BS.

If 231 wasn't appropriate for light to moderate loads in .41 Mag., there wouldn't be loading data available for it.
Old April 20, 2005, 02:15 PM   #53
redhawk41

everyone that has posted information regarding loading the .41 mag, thank you.

rest assured that i will make choices on what is best for me and my guns, based on info that you all have provided.

thanks again
Old April 20, 2005, 02:23 PM   #54
Sturm

Redhawk already tried 231 and the results were less than gratifying as I recall. When I started handloading I made it a practice to never use powders that could be double-charged in magnum cases. Consequently, I have never double-charged a case of any type and I follow the practice for all the cartridges I reload. Personally, I feel that this is the approach we should be teaching new reloaders, especially since a large number of them are going right to the progressive press. The benefit of higher density loads is more uniform ballistics and there are even powders available that excell at this. Ramshot True Blue is a very high density powder that will give good case fill in most handgun cartridges, while providing single digit standard deviations. You follow?

If I were loading with powder economy as a priority, I would be looking at Hodgdon Titegroup or others that are less sensitive to powder positioning. Since there are 7000 grains in a pound of powder, I don't worry much about how much it will take to fill the case to a higher load density. AA#5 and Unique/Universal are good economy powders, but I bypass them to slightly slower powders like HS-6, VV N340, Herco, VV 3N37, AA#7, Ramshot True Blue, VV N350 and Blue Dot. With any of these powders you can load to lower velocities and still get good load density and like I said before, True Blue excells, although it is relatively new and just beginning to catch on. Competition shooters seemed to have caught on and are finding it an excellent alternative to the higher priced Vihtavuori powders. Now that's economy!

Leftoverdj, mentioned earlier that someone didn't understand what H.P.White stated about pressure peak, so why don't he start a thread and explain what he meant, because disagreeing without any evidence to back his claim is meaningless and I would be very happy to provide the conclusion that White labaratories arrived at. While it may seem contentious, it might also show some reloaders why it is very beneficial to understand why powders have their own unique pressure curve that will allow them to choose a better powder for specific applications. While your at it LODJ, why don't you tell us what powders you have been using in the .41 Magnum.
Old April 20, 2005, 07:42 PM   #55
Leftoverdj

Be glad to talk about what I shoot in my 6" S&W 57. I'm not a hunter and I don't believe in unneeded wear and tear on me and my guns. I shoot home cast SWC in the 210-220 grain range and approximate the old police load with either 6.0 grains of 231 or 7.5-8.0 grains of Unique. Those of you who followed the link to Leverguns saw that they found a narrow "sweet spot" at 6.0 grains of 231. I found that spot myself 15-20 years ago with the help of a Lee Machine Rest. Five grains of 231 does very well with flush seated 220 HBWC, but no one else is likely to be shooting those.

I have no personal need for jacketed bullets in the .41 Mag. but a friend does very well with 19.0 grains of WC 820, which approximates AA-9, under 210 grain jacketed. Approach that with extreme caution because it is a max charge in his guns and milsurp powder can vary widely. He's shooting a Redhawk and a Marlin carbine, and I do not believe I would go quite that hot in my Model 57.
Old April 20, 2005, 09:41 PM   #56
Sturm

Good enough, even though many powders are available that have a broader area of good performance than a narrow window or sweet spot like W-231. How about what was misunderstood concerning H.P. White Labs?
Old April 20, 2005, 11:37 PM   #57
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Well, this one's about done

I kinda lost track on this thread, and it really veered off topic for a time, did a mid-course correction, and then yawed again. About time to hit the red button, I guess.

I apologize for letting it go this far astray.

Johnny
Closed Thread