The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 10, 2002, 05:59 PM   #1
Skofnung

Ithaca 37 bolt removal

Hello again.

I have been searching the net for about 2 hours now trying to find a manual of how to take the reciever apart on my Ithaca 37 to give it a good scrubbing. I can't find anything.

I know I can get it apart, but being that it is an older design, I was wondering if there are any tricks to it, or if there are any things that I should look out for. Any suggestions? Any warnings?

Thanks for the help.
Old December 10, 2002, 06:19 PM   #2
ajacobs

I had the worst time when I got it, not being one to read manuals there should be a little silver round peice (like a wheel) that slides back and forth on a rod. You have to slide it oppisite of the spring tension to take the bolt out.

I am not looking at it right now and I am sure someone can phrase it better.
Old December 10, 2002, 08:03 PM   #3
Skofnung

I have removed every screw, and everything has come apart, except for the fact that the bolt will not come out of the reciever. Logic would dictate that the bolt has to go to the rear, but the pump bar (I forgot the true nomenclature(sp?) of the part) will not let it go back that far.

I have removed the front handguard for the first time, and I have noticed something strange. The pump bar is brazed to the tube that slides over the magazine tube. Is this normal? I got the gun used many moons ago, and it may not be normal.

Mr. ajacobs, where is this little round piece located? I looked and the only thing that looks like this is on the pump (forearm).

Thanks again
Old December 11, 2002, 04:42 AM   #4
Chuck Dye

First, see if you can find a March 2001 issue of The American Rifleman, which contains an exploded view and disassembly instructions.

Empty the gun and remove the barrel.

Remove the butt stock by removing the butt plate and using either a socket on a long extension or a large, long, flat bladed screwdriver. Remove the trigger plate screw, the unpaired screw on the left side of the receiver. Remove the carrier screw lock screws and carrier lock screws from each side of the receiver. Slide the trigger plate group out of the receiver. Turn the gun belly up with the magazine to the left. There is an hour glass shaped pin visible in the undersider of the slide: with a punch pull the pin toward your body until the slide bar can pulled forward from engagement with the slide. Pull the slide, breechblock, and carrier together rearward out of the receiver.

The top extractor is retained by a powerful spring. To remove it, use a thin punch to push the spring plunger back; at the same time push the extractor out of its seat. The bottom extractor can be removed easily by driving out its hinge pin. To remove the firing pin from the breechblock, first drive out the check pin. Then the firing pin and spring can be removed easily rearward. Reassembly is in reverse order.

My Featherlight was given to me. When I first stripped it down, it was likely the first time its was done in the 35 year life of the gun. The slide pin did not release the slide bar until it was fully drawn toward my body. May be close tolerances, may have been the large quantity of sludge involved. Persevere!

I strongly recommend obtaining the exploded view.
Old December 11, 2002, 07:59 AM   #5
Calanctus

I'd check the Ithaca website: http://ithacagun.com
If you check under the support tab, there are pdf files of all the manuals you'd need to take it down. I've detail stripped mine, and didn't have any problems following their instructions.